Media All in one computers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Super Freak
Reaction score
Now that these have been out for a while, I was interested in possibly getting one. I used to build rigs back then when I was big on gaming but haven't upgraded any of my stuff for years due to cutting back a lot. Because of this, I'd like to get rid of my current setup and get an aio computer, mostly for the lack of wires and no tower needed. I'll still do some light gaming (tf2 / starcraft types of games) but mostly for browsing and streaming videos. I see a lot of low priced computers out there with no reviews and I see some pretty pricey ones that look overkill for what I'll be doing. I'd like to keep it under $1k which doesn't sound like it would be hard to do. I'm hoping to hear from others that have these and their recommendations :wave

I thought posting it here would get more exposure vs posting in the "others" section where it would probably get buried quickly.

I had an HP one that was touchscreen and I loved it but it stopped working after 4 years and it couldn't be repaired because HP no longer made the parts. They've really come down in price since then. I may get another one since all I have is a laptop now. I'd much rather have a desktop and I miss having a touchscreen.

Erm... correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you still have wires from: your router, ethernet, power, keyboard/mouse, and various other peripherals (e.g. printer, speaker, etc)? The only convenience I can see, is that you won't have an extra display cable.

In any case, I'd highly recommend staying away from all-in-ones, since upgrading is impossible, and you can't service them yourself in case something malfunctions. Just imagine, if a small fan fails in a desktop, you can easily replace it by yourself, versus if you have an all-in-one, and you'll be forced to go through weeks of RMA and factor in the shipping cost of returning it to a service center. The same goes for the monitor, too. If the monitor fails, you'd have to RMA the entire unit.

Since it doesn't appear that you've that you've bought an all-in-one PC as yet, I'd say you should get a pre-built desktop, with a touch-screen monitor, instead. Having an all-in-one PC, just isn't worth it, when you consider all of the potential hassles that you'll be faced with.

We also have a PC thread :duff.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/video-games-and-video-game-collectibles/121847-pc-gaming.html

Last edited:
I had an HP one that was touchscreen and I loved it but it stopped working after 4 years and it couldn't be repaired because HP no longer made the parts. They've really come down in price since then. I may get another one since all I have is a laptop now. I'd much rather have a desktop and I miss having a touchscreen.

Dumb question but did you do everything with the touchscreen or did you still use your mouse/keyboard? I wasn't sure if you had to use one or the other if you had a touchscreen.

Erm... correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you still have wires from: your router, ethernet, power, keyboard/mouse, and various other peripherals (e.g. printer, speaker, etc)? The only convenience I can see, is that you won't have an extra display cable.

In any case, I'd highly recommend staying away from all-in-ones, since upgrading is impossible, and you can't service them yourself in case something malfunctions. Just imagine, if a small fan fails in a desktop, you can easily replace it by yourself, versus if you have an all-in-one, and you'll be forced to go through weeks of RMA and factor in the shipping cost of returning it to a service center. The same goes for the monitor, too. If the monitor fails, you'd have to RMA the entire unit.

Since it doesn't appear that you've that you've bought an all-in-one PC as yet, I'd say you should get a pre-built desktop, with a touch-screen monitor, instead. Having an all-in-one PC, just isn't worth it, when you consider all of the potential hassles that you'll be faced with.

We also have a PC thread :duff.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/video-games-and-video-game-collectibles/121847-pc-gaming.html

A coworker has an old Samsung aio and all it has is a power cable (no tower, wireless keyboard / mouse, built in speakers, camera, wireless card, wireless printer). It's a very clean setup. At first, I was mainly concerned about whether or not I could upgrade, but then I realized I probably wouldn't need to continually upgrade parts for what I'd be using the computer for. One concern I do have, which you brought up, is the serviceability of it especially if the manufacture discontinues the product. It looks like Ween's computer only lasted him 4 years which really isn't that long, so I don't know if it's a hit or miss with these things. If I do decide to not get one, I'll more than likely just build a new pc.

Oh okay, I'm guessing that your co-worker's PC had a built-in blue-tooth adapter, then. That said, one thing I forgot to mention, is that if wire-clutter's a problem, you can always purchase a wireless USB adapter or simply install a wireless PCI-E card into a motherboard. You don't need to have an all-in-one PC to enjoy the conveniences of wireless peripherals (although, you'd still have a few more wires with a desktop).

But, yeah, when it comes to computers A LOT of parts can fail, and serviceability would be much easier with a desktop. Also, if you're concerned about space, there are many small PC cases, like Micro-ATX towers available (and those things are really small compared to mid-towers).

Back