Alita: Battle Angel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, it's been standard practice for decades for theaters to post Friday showtimes on Wednesday unless there's a big movie that had early presales which CM obviously is. Much ado about nothing on this one.

After I saw it the second time (raising the score of my initial review that you posted) I literally wanted to compare the action to *both* RO and Fury Road but held back so as not to oversell it. Glad you made the same connection. :lol :rock

That's pretty nifty if you actually thought of the same 2 flicks (though I'll add with the caveat I think both of them are still superior as movies).

'Perhaps, in a different reality, I could have called you friend. '

Unfortunately in this timeline, TLJ exists :lol (jk)

$350 million so far worldwide..

What was Avatar’s final totals

What are people's estimates for what this will reach? 400 should be doable.. but at the rate it's going...

The weird thing is pretty much everyone who's seen it loves it. I really think the critics hurt it with all the bad press. (Which was unwarranted as well)

That's pretty nifty if you actually thought of the same 2 flicks (though I'll add with the caveat I think both of them are still superior as movies).

What are people's estimates for what this will reach? 400 should be doable.. but at the rate it's going...

The weird thing is pretty much everyone who's seen it loves it. I really think the critics hurt it with all the bad press. (Which was unwarranted as well)

I think it gets to $420M worldwide.

Eh let's just say that my enthusiasm for TLJ has been on a bit of a downward trend after Rian Johnson himself started lashing out at fans, lol. Plus the whole copying the OT but not actually equaling the OT has been bugging me as of late as well. I just largely consider it to be a mixed bag that I can still enjoy while watching it but that never seems that great after the fact, lol.

As for FR, RO, and Alita I might be inclined to rank them like this:

1. RO
2. Alita
3. FR

We'll see as time goes by.

Everything's not a conspiracy.

That's what they want you to believe.... :rotfl /s

While I agree with you (I really liked this movie too), I think the target audience for this was really narrow to begin with. I wouldn't say the critics hurt it with bad press. It's more like the critics didn't help it with bad press. People who were interested enough to watch it and like it would have watched regardless of what the critics said while the negative reviews did not convince people who weren't interested to begin with to consider watching.

That's what they want you to believe.... :rotfl /s

While I agree with you (I really liked this movie too), I think the target audience for this was really narrow to begin with. I wouldn't say the critics hurt it with bad press. It's more like the critics didn't help it with bad press. People who were interested enough to watch it and like it would have watched regardless of what the critics said while the negative reviews did not convince people who weren't interested to begin with to consider watching.
I belong to a filmmaking group on fb, people on there are ripping the movie apart, and they haven't even watched it. These are people who are supposed to love films and are either filmmakers or aspiring filmmakers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

These are people who are supposed to love films and are either filmmakers or aspiring filmmakers.

In my experience, such groups are rarely composed of people that are supposed to be really interested in what the group offers. They are usually just in that group for self-affirmation or to find people that agree with them.

In my experience, such groups are rarely composed of people that are supposed to be really interested in what the group offers. They are usually just in that group for self-affirmation or to find people that agree with them.
Hard to argue that, having an echo chamber where all your feelings and beliefs are affirmed, seems to be the only way people can function today. It's just disappointing, because I feel like this movie "woulda/coulda" but somehow, somewhere it got mismanaged and the audiences never really found it. Instead I hear how terrible it is from people who haven't seen anything past a trailer. Meanwhile, everybody I know who has actually seen this movie has loved it. By all rights this movie should be hitting the $1B dollar mark, not fading into oblivion.

$420 million if it gets there isn't exactly fading into oblivion... lol It's just not summer blockbuster territory. Judge Dredd for comparison was 35million worldwide for box office.

Yep Valerian grossed $225 million worldwide, Jupiter Ascending made $184 million while Mortal Engines made a pathetic $82.9 million. Thank God Alita won't be counted among those films when all is said and done, lol.

$420 million if it gets there isn't exactly fading into oblivion... lol It's just not summer blockbuster territory. Judge Dredd for comparison was 35million worldwide for box office.
Hyperbole, I suppose. But for a movie of this budget, it's not exactly profitable. I just want the rest of this story told with this cast and director. I haven't been this crazy about a movie in a long time.

Yep Valerian grossed $225 million worldwide, Jupiter Ascending made $184 million while Mortal Engines made a pathetic $82.9 million. Thank God Alita won't be counted among those films when all is said and done, lol.
[emoji38]

...and valerian and JA made more than they deserved.

Yeah I can see Alita being another Terminator where it kind of quietly came and went from theaters but then got such a following after the fact that the sequel just exploded. So here's hoping that Alita does get a sequel so that we can test that theory. :)

Almost hard to believe Dredd made that little, but I don't remember seeing any trailers or promotional stuff at all. I didn't watch it until it arrived on Netflix, such an awesome movie. I regret not seeing it in theaters.

I remember people mocking the original teaser posters for the Stallone Judge Dredd:

judge-dredd-stallone-giant-bus-shelter-movie_1_1dbd92cdb4a8031b33636bc8c8e129bc.jpg

"Okay we dread June 30th!" said audiences and then stayed home, lol.

Back