Alien: Resurrection Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like a step ladder in the back ground, which would be when the alien leaps out of the water after them.......just a thought.

how the hell did they get nominated for that, Alien3 has some of the worst full body shots in the seires.

I disagree totally..

I don't think it has the best , not by a long shot but also not the worst.
When it was released in 92 there was a lot of competition , predator 2 , batman returns etc. And they were all using special effects for certain things. Alien 3 for me had a very different take to what the others had but it still worked well , the full body shots seemed more real for some reason so I do agree with Jamal that I did like them.

I agree that the CGI that they used for the Alien 3 full-body shots was pretty terrible. At least that's what I thought when I rewatched the movie recently.

Except it wasn't CGI at all.

It was a rod puppet, optically composited, with CGI used only for the shadows. The best technology available at the time -- remember, this was before Jurassic Park.

Oh, and the CGI supervisor on Alien 3 was Jim Rygiel, who went on to greater things... :)

I agree that the CGI that they used for the Alien 3 full-body shots was pretty terrible. At least that's what I thought when I rewatched the movie recently.

Are there any other ways in the 1990s to make Aliens run along roofs and walls while showing full body shots?

i think it deserves more credit than your giving it

how the hell did they get nominated for that, Alien3 has some of the worst full body shots in the seires.

Hard to imagine, but I believe the effects they utilized for A3 were cutting Edge at the time.

ILM was used to generate the effect of the Alien head crumbling at the climax of the film and in an interview it was stated that it was new ground and pushed things. This was right around the time of T2, so CGI and all wasn't at the height of it's game. T2 had a huge budget and film necessity pushed ILM to grow fast, and it worked, but A3 suffered major production issues. For what the effects and movie were allowed to be, it was impressive, and even for it's time, impressive.

Are there any other ways in the 1990s to make Aliens run along roofs and walls while showing full body shots?

i think it deserves more credit than your giving it

Well, maybe. And I will admit that I don't recall noticing it when I saw it in the theater. As product of its time, it might be OK. But the thing is, when I go back and look at any of the other Alien films, the special effects hold up very well, and this one just doesn't. (Only referring to the full-body shots here.)

EDIT: I take this partially back. I just remembered how bad the "projected on a screen behind the actors" crash of the dropship looked in Aliens.

Alien3 was a hard feat to accomplish considering they needed full body shots of the Alien running around walls etc, they did well with the CGI considering it was 1992 when the film was released..

1992.. dude..

Well, maybe. And I will admit that I don't recall noticing it when I saw it in the theater. As product of its time, it might be OK. But the thing is, when I go back and look at any of the other Alien films, the special effects hold up very well, and this one just doesn't. (Only referring to the full-body shots here.)

EDIT: I take this partially back. I just remembered how bad the "projected on a screen behind the actors" crash of the dropship looked in Aliens.

Can't really compare effects in A3 to A2. ALIENS was all guys in suits, they never employed CG like A3, if they had, I bet it would have been worse even. A2 and A3 suit effects are equal to me.

The Alien3 creature suit effects match Aliens suit effects easily, look at when Ripley is pulling its tail trying to lead it into the Leadworks it looks almost too real to be a suit

I hate Alien: Resurrection's design(Aswell as the movie itself). Makes the Aliens looks like walking turds or the raptors from Jurassic Park.

As for ALIEN3's suit, it's probably up their with the first one's suit. The CGI isn't great, but the design is one of the more detailed ones in the saga, which suits me just fine.

Just wish Hot Toys would the first and thirds Aliens, now THAT would kick some serious ass! rock:

As for the diorama, pass.

I watched alien 3 again recently and though the same thing as you icruise.. Funny how I didn't really notice how bad it looked back in 92 when i saw it in the theater. It's all good though since I really don't care for the movie anyway. :lol

Aliens Resurrection on the other hand - even though the alien design wasn't liked by most of us (I liked it - lol), the effects were great and worked out really well.

I'll probably get the dio - looks nice in the preview pic so far.

Everytime i watch A:R i appreciate it abit more, its cheapening to resurrect Ripley after her sacrifice but i think the story was pretty awesome with the queen and newborn

Back