Statue Alien: Big Chap Legendary Scale Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I have seen quite a few in-hand pics of the life size warrior bust, the actual chromed teeth does look very good,and very sharp pointy as well.
Being frank, I think it looks better than what coolprops has...

I'm not actually interested in buying any recast, but I just had a look for these and still couldn't find any at all, are we sure these have been copied and we aren't thinking of the 1:1 warrior which is widely circulated. I'm going to go and dig mine out I think and plan ahead to see what I can actually do with it. I know thew dome needs removing and repairing which will be fun :panic: A full repaint after that which actually will be fun....

Just dug mine out, it's pretty much as I remember and then some, it will be a huge project, but standing way (WAY) back from it, it doesn't half look good, I almost forgot how cool this piece could have been, I wish I'd been one of the lucky ones who received a good one. Ahh well. Anyway, I need to....

Remove, repair and readjust the dome which is glued off set about 1/2cm, this will be the hard part although I plan to leave it sitting freely on top. The dome doesn't fit properly and is full of horrible looking black filler at the front.

Replace the broken tendons, these look bad anyway so I plan to rip them all off and find something that looks more like the real suit. No idea what as of yet...

Fill in several prominent chips.

Repaint the whole thing as there are so many scratches and blemishes. The paint app was weak on these anyway, a little TLC in that are should bring it too life.

This is all for another day when I've moved next year (hopefully) and have a proper area to work in. I'm almost looking forward to it, apart from removing the dome...

Re: Alien Legendary Scale Bust

I picked one of these up in forbidden planet yesterday for an absolute steal, £220!! One of the tendons was broken so they marked it up less than half price. One dab of glue later and good as new.
I wasn't too impressed with the teeth, so gave them a new finish with bare metal chrome foil, its made a hell of a difference.
Only thing I'm not really happy with is how dark and opaque my dome is. May try to detatch it and get it a bit clearer.

ada34d9b53606ff261eb10ef5e959baa.jpg
496184cbc63e46074f312a818f17eb62.jpg
389cc9b3d14bcc0c27d0276fc6bfbf6e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wow! Great work in those teeth! How did you make it? I have seen many videos in internet about metal chrome foil but it's used fir small parts from cars...was it very difficult?

Wow! Great work in those teeth! How did you make it? I have seen many videos in internet about metal chrome foil but it's used fir small parts from cars...was it very difficult?
Thanks man :) it was actually pretty simple with the chrome foil, I used the bare metal foil, comes on large self adhesive sheets. I just cut a piece a few centimetres long, pressed it down with a cotton bud, then rubbed ID down with the back of a paintbrush. Then trimmed the edge with a scalpel. Pretty easy! It's great stuff, I want to chrome everything with it!!!

Thanks man :) it was actually pretty simple with the chrome foil, I used the bare metal foil, comes on large self adhesive sheets. I just cut a piece a few centimetres long, pressed it down with a cotton bud, then rubbed ID down with the back of a paintbrush. Then trimmed the edge with a scalpel. Pretty easy! It's great stuff, I want to chrome everything with it!!!

Thank you very much! And you make it just in the front side of the teeths? And after chrome the teeths, have you applied any black ink between the teeths also? Sorry but I am impressed for the result and I want to do the same with my bust:)

Thank you very much! And you make it just in the front side of the teeths? And after chrome the teeths, have you applied any black ink between the teeths also? Sorry but I am impressed for the result and I want to do the same with my bust:)
I managed to wrap it all the way around on the fangs, but not on the front teeth, but I did manage to get it quite tidy. I did give them a wash with very watered down black ink, around the gum line and between the teeth. You should definitely give it a go, I wish I'd taken a photo with just the top half done to show the difference it made!

I managed to wrap it all the way around on the fangs, but not on the front teeth, but I did manage to get it quite tidy. I did give them a wash with very watered down black ink, around the gum line and between the teeth. You should definitely give it a go, I wish I'd taken a photo with just the top half done to show the difference it made!

I will try into my bust! Thanks for your explanations! Thats the best way to crome teeths I believe:)

I will try into my bust! Thanks for your explanations! Thats the best way to crome teeths I believe:)

Aside from actually chroming, I'd argue that a good quality metallic paint such as Alclad II is the best option, especially with the right preparation. But it's certainly a good alternative with a pleasing effect.

Aside from actually chroming, I'd argue that a good quality metallic paint such as Alclad II is the best option, especially with the right preparation. But it's certainly a good alternative with a pleasing effect.

And how could you apply it python? Could you post some pictures os the efect? Thanks!

With an airbrush ideally, although you can buy similar paints in spray cans. It is certainly more work as you really have to prep the area well by sanding it etc. Alclad is so fine that it will show every little blemish beneath, dust and fingerprints etc if you don't clean them up. And masking is the biggest job. Other than that, add a gloss black base coat, let it dry and apply a few thin coats of the chrome paint...

I haven't done the big chap yet, no point as I'll probably repaint the whole thing eventually... Also, I experimented adding some weathering to the teeth on the warrior, but I decided I preferred the clean metallic look personally so that part is very much down to personal preference. I plan to add a little rust to the Big Chaps teeth.

5zy2msF.jpg

With an airbrush ideally, although you can buy similar paints in spray cans. It is certainly more work as you really have to prep the area well by sanding it etc. Alclad is so fine that it will show every little blemish beneath, dust and fingerprints etc if you don't clean them up. And masking is the biggest job. Other than that, add a gloss black base coat, let it dry and apply a few thin coats of the chrome paint...

I haven't done the big chap yet, no point as I'll probably repaint the whole thing eventually... Also, I experimented adding some weathering to the teeth on the warrior, but I decided I preferred the clean metallic look personally so that part is very much down to personal preference. I plan to add a little rust to the Big Chaps teeth.

5zy2msF.jpg

Thats very nice too python! Thank you! I have no experience at all with airbrushes or cans and I am afraid to leave my bust worst than actually is...I will study all the options and I will try to find someone experienced to make it for me:). Again, thank you everybody for the explanations:)

No problem, I don't think could make the teeth on the Big chap look much worse even if you did mess up. They are certainly a weak area of another wise fine looking bust. Have fun with it whatever option you go for. The good thing about the foil is that you can always remove it if you decide you don't like it, or if you do mess up on the first attempt, so maybe that would be a better option for you..

I've really got to give that Alclad paint a go, it looks great, really fantastic result python. I don't think it's easily available in the UK though, but definitely going to look in to tracking some down.

I've really got to give that Alclad paint a go, it looks great, really fantastic result python. I don't think it's easily available in the UK though, but definitely going to look in to tracking some down.

Thank you, have a play with it, as long as you follow the basics, you'll love the results. I can't remember the exact store I get mine from as I haven't bought any in a while, but I got it from an model store on ebay for about £6. It's easy enough to get off of there. I'm not sure they're meant to post it mind but...

repainted the teeth...didn't have alclad just the vallejo chrome i had. It looks better than the original ****paint job though.

IMG_0812.JPG

I sanded the sheetypaint off, add some primer, masked off the mouth then airbrushed the chrome.

is it ok for the teeth? I am afraid to break them triying to take off the sheetypaint..lol

Back