Statue Alien: Big Chap Legendary Scale Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I dont not plan on getting these, was just saying "IF"...

Think I would rather just try for a 1:1 bust later on.

Year or so ago, I was thinking of getting into legendary scale bust, but in the end thought 1:1 bust would please me more.

Only legendary bust I have is the Balrog...which is basically lifesized when compared to humans.
Balrog_Flash_zpsa808d68a.gif

:p

Well, this would be my first. I wanted to get this and the upcoming Masked Hunter Predator since there isn't a Scar. I'm not a bust fan but these really caught my eye. I'm starting to rethink the whole thing now...

Yeah, I hear ya. That's really disheartening given what we should rightfully expect from SS. I should have known better with their customer service now rivaling Comcast's that the product quality is in the toilet too. Are there any others out there (that don't require selling a kidney) that do either BC or the warrior justice? At the end of the day, I just want an Alien head and a masked Predator head of at least 1:2 scale to round out my collection.

Well, this would be my first. I wanted to get this and the upcoming Masked Hunter Predator since there isn't a Scar. I'm not a bust fan but these really caught my eye. I'm starting to rethink the whole thing now...

The Pred busts are better quality than the Aliens. The P1 was my favorite bust for a long time.

Any of you have you repainted the teeth? Could you post some images of how did they look now? Could you also explain if it was dificult to do it and the procedure? Thank you in advance:)

Any of you have you repainted the teeth? Could you post some images of how did they look now? Could you also explain if it was dificult to do it and the procedure? Thank you in advance:)

I never bothered doing this one because mine was a POS frankly (both of them) But I did do the Warrior, I'll add a few pictures below. If you do it my way, it is tricky in some ways, but it doesn't have to be difficult really, anything will be an improvement over the factories lack of effort. First clean them up best you can, as metallic paints such as alclad are incredibly fine and show up every blemish (even finger prints) I masked it all, which is always the most time consuming and tedious part, after that it is simply a case of airbrushing on gloss black, followed by several very fine coats of alclad chrome, ta da, shiny new teeth and completely transformed Alien bust. If you don't have an airbrush, you can just find a decent chrome, or polished aluminum paint in a rattle can and do he same thing, just take your time and practice first.

ZIhEUVW.jpg

5zy2msF.jpg

HGPZSc8.jpg

UYR4GOb.jpg

BEFORE...

W6VkHlQ.jpg

gawd those tendons...

And now that you got me looking at it even more.

:horse

Especially in the last one.
How do you make clear-ish tendons, that look like they snap on, and then have those tendons "try to" blend into and under sculpted black tendons?

Why not fill in and paint them the same-ish color?
Why not have the other tendons around the chin, etc. be clear-snap-ons also?
Least they would match.

On the brightside, at least the dome/skull is smooth and rounded.

Wow!:clap. What an awesome result! It changes completely the bust!

The thing is i am worried about "cleaning the teeth", i mean, do I have to polish them first? (To take off the painture). I am afraid to break them.

About the painting, I don't have an airbrush and I 'm sorry but I don't understand how to paint the teeth in crome and the rest in black color with an object like this.

My idea was to aply black color with a brush (a normal one), and chrome or aluminum color with another one. I would like also to make some separation lines between teeth in order to see that they are different pieces. I don't know how is your bust but in some of them it is like a big stain of chrome there... How do you protect the rest of the bust when you are applying the airbrush on it?

Mi bust is not as bad as others I have seen and I am afraid to leave it worse than SS, but for me is the best representation of the big chap alien by far (for me better than statues more expensives, that are awesomes too but have less detail on the face, or the dome is too much transparent)

If only it has the perfect chrome teeth as seen in the movie, it would be the PERFECT piece for me.

Thanks for your help:)

This is the top alien mouth for me...I would like to transform the one from my bust in something similar:)

View attachment 213868

Do you see the "black triangles" between the teeth? I know they are spaces but I want to replicate them with painture if it is possible;)

gawd those tendons...

And now that you got me looking at it even more.

:horse

Especially in the last one.
How do you make clear-ish tendons, that look like they snap on, and then have those tendons "try to" blend into and under sculpted black tendons?

Why not fill in and paint them the same-ish color?
Why not have the other tendons around the chin, etc. be clear-snap-ons also?
Least they would match.

On the brightside, at least the dome/skull is smooth and rounded.

Yeah and they look just as bad in person, they are pretty terrible, you can visibly see the clip also. Unfortunately they are glued before they are clipped in so can't easily be removed without breakage. I will do something with them but I still don't really have a plan of action tbh. They used condoms on the real thing, I'm not sure that is a viable option for this. I am considering filling the edges in to make them blend in and look more like part of the bust and then painting them a more opaque colour. That would put it more in line with the ssc prototype more so than the actual screen used suits, but it would be a huge improvement for sure. If anybody has better ideas for materials, I'm all ears as I'm in no rush...

Wow!:clap. What an awesome result! It changes completely the bust!

The thing is i am worried about "cleaning the teeth", i mean, do I have to polish them first? (To take off the painture). I am afraid to break them.

About the painting, I don't have an airbrush and I 'm sorry but I don't understand how to paint the teeth in crome and the rest in black color with an object like this.

My idea was to aply black color with a brush (a normal one), and chrome or aluminum color with another one. I would like also to make some separation lines between teeth in order to see that they are different pieces. I don't know how is your bust but in some of them it is like a big stain of chrome there... How do you protect the rest of the bust when you are applying the airbrush on it?

Mi bust is not as bad as others I have seen and I am afraid to leave it worse than SS, but for me is the best representation of the big chap alien by far (for me better than statues more expensives, that are awesomes too but have less detail on the face, or the dome is too much transparent)

If only it has the perfect chrome teeth as seen in the movie, it would be the PERFECT piece for me.

Thank you, it certainly looks much better in person and I'm happy with the results.

When I said clean the teeth, don't worry too much, you don't have to strip the paint or anything. Just rub them down with some rubbing alcohol or something to remove any grime. If you have any stubborn blemishes, you could sand them with very fine polishing pads or something, normally I'd do this anyway but I'm keeping things simple here best I can so don't worry too much.

As for the black, I may have confused you. The gloss black I referred too is the undercoat for the chrome, alclad in particular requires such a base coat to work properly. So you would mask off everything except for the teeth which you wish to piant. For this you can use a combination of Tamiya masking tape, some masking liquids etc and paper for bigger areas. Then you want to paint the teeth completely black and allow them to dry before starting with the metallic paints. This stage depends on the paint you use though and may not be necessary, I'm just assuming you want the best finish possible and this is one of the best ways to achieve this. Some people are rebels and use white paint as a base, experiment and see what works best for you.

I wouldn't recommend brush painting unless you are much better at it than I, it is certainly a skill some people are just born with. I say this because with paints like this, brush strokes could easily kill the look. I would suggest you just get some spray cans, mask it all off as above and apply the gloss black, always be reserved and apply thin coats otherwise the paint will just pool and run, you can always add more if need be. Then find the metallic colour you need and apply it on top of the black, again be very sparing and expect to apply three or four coats, leaving suitable drying time between each. I can't recommend a particular brand as I don't use rattle cans myself, I'm sure somebody will know some.

The teeth are badly sculpted on the big chap as you've mentioned, they have no gaps and look like one piece. I tried adding black washes to my warrior, but it didn't work well imo and I decided the clean chrome look was the way to go. With the big chap however, you could scrape some gaps between the teeth with a sharp scalpel. I practiced this on mine and it worked okay. If you wish to paint some black on top, that is up to you, just thin it well. You could apply a coat of varnish to the teeth first so that you can just wash it all off if you decide you don't like the look.

You won't make it worse than the factory look, you can't ;) Best of luck.

Here's a video that shows how to apply metal coats, basic but helpful. You could even just use this paint if you like? Alclad it is not, but it is also cheaper and much easier to use.

Thank you, it certainly looks much better in person and I'm happy with the results.

When I said clean the teeth, don't worry too much, you don't have to strip the paint or anything. Just rub them down with some rubbing alcohol or something to remove any grime. If you have any stubborn blemishes, you could sand them with very fine polishing pads or something, normally I'd do this anyway but I'm keeping things simple here best I can so don't worry too much.

As for the black, I may have confused you. The gloss black I referred too is the undercoat for the chrome, alclad in particular requires such a base coat to work properly. So you would mask off everything except for the teeth which you wish to piant. For this you can use a combination of Tamiya masking tape, some masking liquids etc and paper for bigger areas. Then you want to paint the teeth completely black and allow them to dry before starting with the metallic paints. This stage depends on the paint you use though and may not be necessary, I'm just assuming you want the best finish possible and this is one of the best ways to achieve this. Some people are rebels and use white paint as a base, experiment and see what works best for you.

I wouldn't recommend brush painting unless you are much better at it than I, it is certainly a skill some people are just born with. I say this because with paints like this, brush strokes could easily kill the look. I would suggest you just get some spray cans, mask it all off as above and apply the gloss black, always be reserved and apply thin coats otherwise the paint will just pool and run, you can always add more if need be. Then find the metallic colour you need and apply it on top of the black, again be very sparing and expect to apply three or four coats, leaving suitable drying time between each. I can't recommend a particular brand as I don't use rattle cans myself, I'm sure somebody will know some.

The teeth are badly sculpted on the big chap as you've mentioned, they have no gaps and look like one piece. I tried adding black washes to my warrior, but it didn't work well imo and I decided the clean chrome look was the way to go. With the big chap however, you could scrape some gaps between the teeth with a sharp scalpel. I practiced this on mine and it worked okay. If you wish to paint some black on top, that is up to you, just thin it well. You could apply a coat of varnish to the teeth first so that you can just wash it all off if you decide you don't like the look.

You won't make it worse than the factory look, you can't ;) Best of luck.

Here's a video that shows how to apply metal coats, basic but helpful. You could even just use this paint if you like? Alclad it is not, but it is also cheaper and much easier to use.

Thank you very much again for all the explanation and the details. I will see the video and I hope it will help me if finally I decide to repaint the teeth. Do you have some any photo of your big chap too? Awesome work!!

I dry brushed a little flat black/dark green paint onto the tendons so that they no longer look as yellowish. The tendons blend in with the rest of the month/head much better now...

Back