Action Figures or Statues? Which do you prefer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer (and only own) Hot Toys and smaller action figures. They take up less room, cost less, and are offered in a wider array of characters and variants (costumes, movies, etc). Besides Star Wars, I only collect specific characters from the MCU... Most of those characters aren't available in statue format and/or the variants I'd want.

Depends on the collectible and price-point. I love statues that have artistic significance and merit (which are both entirely subjective things), typically not pop culture-related ones. So these are my two favourite statues currently:

Gummy Keiko by Fools Paradise—beautiful sculpt and I like the symbolism of seeing through the familiar gummy shell into the woman inside, wearing the bear parts as a costume
View attachment 234722
Wow, that is really cool

I only collect 1/6 figures. Statues are to big for my taste and I like being able to pose my figures.

The first high value I bought was a PFF, and it is the only one I have so far. Since then I've bought about a dozen sixth scale action figures. The size is easier to display, and they are cheaper... and in the case of movie characters, I'm inclined to think the likenesses are better. However in the true fantasy sense, like gaming or comic book characters, I think statues take some beating. If I like the Gaming Heads clicker I'll think about getting more of the 'The Last of Us' series.

I started with 1/6 and some 1/4 Hot Toy figures. I have only one 1/4 figure left. I like the idea of poseability, just not how most of them look when they are actually posed and I don't care for exposed joints, seams, etc... Statue poses always look good and have much more presence with the addition of a nice base.

I started with 1/6 and some 1/4 Hot Toy figures. I have only one 1/4 figure left. I like the idea of poseability, just not how most of them look when they are actually posed and I don't care for exposed joints, seams, etc... Statue poses always look good and have much more presence with the addition of a nice base.

I'm also pretty picky with seams and joints. Most of mine have a fairly substantial costume to hide joints, which as a twist actually makes them harder to pose, lol... but I don't go for elaborate poses..

Actually, come to think of it, Arnie - John Matrix is my only figure with fully exposed arms, and they are rubber.. (AoU Thor on the way though)

I would say statues but I've had a string of bad luck getting statues with QC problems from sideshow. I have way more Hot Toys then SSC statues but only got 1 with a qc issue that required replacement. With sideshow about 65% of the statues I get have to be replaced or I have to accept some sort of blemish/defect. I am considering just sticking with hot toys from here on out.. Sideshows rising prices and QC problems are really starting to turn me off. The last 4 statues I've received have had issues requiring replacement, even my newest one Power Girl, which i just received, has missing Paint/Slop issues that i am trying to ignore just because i don't want to have to request a replacement 5 times in a row.

Same here with PG. A lot of exciting announcements from SS this past month, but I'll probably put my remaining reward points toward a third-party piece they're distributing, like HT's Leia or this awesome Play Arts Lara Croft figure scheduled for April.

I collect both but statues are getting reeaallly expensive, take up space and I have to really like the pose. Statues can be really boring if the newness wears out quickly. May as well display rocks. At least with figure dollies you can change poses, clothes, bash 'em. Figures are expensive too but if you're savvy enough you can figure out ways to make them cheaper (i.e. wait for aftermarket sellers, sales, sell off excess parts).

Figures(of different scales) only. I don't do statues because 1. They're too expensive for me and 2. I just plain old don't like the way they look as much. I love figures because of the variety, the cheaper prices, and because it replicates the feeling of Christmas morning I had as a kid when I buy them more than any statue ever could. I only open my 1/6th scale figures and my 6 inch and 4 inch stuff hangs moc on my walls of my apartment but I still love the feeling of being surrounded by them. If I were wealthy, i'd consider getting a couple of statues but even then, i'd probably just buy greater amounts of Hot toys or other 1/6th scale figures.

It depends. I don't have a lot of statues as they are just way over-priced, and you can get two 1/6 scale figures for the cost of one statue, but I will get statues if it's the only 1/6 alternative to a figure that won't be made (i.e., Tweeterheads Catwoman/Julie Newmar and Batgirl/Yvonne Craig, or Elvira). But, obviously, I prefer 1/6 figures that I can pose and repose as I see fit, and they are far more space efficient.

It depends. I don't have a lot of statues as they are just way over-priced, and you can get two 1/6 scale figures for the cost of one statue, but I will get statues if it's the only 1/6 alternative to a figure that won't be made (i.e., Tweeterheads Catwoman/Julie Newmar and Batgirl/Yvonne Craig, or Elvira). But, obviously, I prefer 1/6 figures that I can pose and repose as I see fit, and they are far more space efficient.

To me 1/6 is WAY more overpriced now than statues for what you get. That was another reason I got out of 1/6 a few years ago and now it is even worse.

I've found that I prefer statues, for the following reasons:

• They'll hold their pose; you don't spend a stupid amount of time posing them, only to find that a haint or something has undone all of it.
• They can have all kinds of cool and unrealistic poses, without regards to whether or not they'll be able to stand.
• They usually don't come with loads of extra parts (hi figma, Nendoroid) that you're bound to lose. I mean, I appreciate the options, but damn.

But on the other hand, you can't force statues into compromising positions. But exclude all those cons when it comes to my hatred and desire for a ball-jointed doll. Y'know how y'all are kvetching over the $600 price tags of recent PFs? Yeah, that's downright reasonable for a BJD... well, within the world of BJDs, not... reality.

EDIT: Huh. I've always used the words statues and figures interchangeably, usually favoring "figures". Articulated figures, I specify as action figures. Or dolls.

For me it's muscle structure.
A figures body structure is wrong, always, every time and forever.
Fully clothed figures disguise it a little but can't altogether.

My favourite clothed statue pose is the T1 Arnie ....see how the neck muscles are straining and the lat flares out...

4 PFs I have on display right now are Arnie Conan, Rage Conan, ToD Indy and Blitway EtD Bruce Lee ....all impossible to make look good as a figure.

Also I feel silly posing figures but that's on me....

Action figures and BJDs at my end. I like articulation and readjusting their poses when I get bored of whatever layout I've got them displayed in. I also really enjoy the customising aspect of both hobbies, aka kitbashing and repainting where my skills allow. A lot of the attraction is the gradual process of perfecting my idea of what the figure should look like. I confess I do occassionally "play" with even my most expensive 1/6 scale figures. (Though that mostly involves amusing photo sets.) However I have been sorely tempted by statues in the past - but shelf space is very much at a premium at mine!

@sedge As someone who's into the extortionate BJD hobby (Though I admit I got into them via thinking about them as giant massively customisable action figures). What BJD companies are you eyeing in particular? I'd say $600 mark is at the higher end of the "average" price-range. Whilst there are truly extortionate companies out there that offer basic sets at $1000(+) there are also several that produce 1/3(+) scale stuff at the $200ish price point, though of course just as with the cheaper 1/6 scale figures the quality of the sculpting/joint's ability to hold poses can (but doesn't necessarily) begin to suffer.

(Actually one of my favourite's in my action figure/BJD collection is a highly stylised quarter scale guy came as a $250 garage style kit with multiple face-plates and sculpted wigs. Despite his price point rivalling some of the Hot Toys figures that I'm more precious about he's more fun to pose than many of my 1/6 guys ironically because I'm less precious about damaging him since I did all of the finishing/painting myself. And being a BJD you can change the eye position, and thus the whole feel of the facial expression, relatively easily.)

Figures. Mainly because I like the pose ability. I also prefer sixth scale paint to statues. Hate the prices though.

I appreciate the sculpt work that goes into statues, but seeing a bunch of them lined up next to each other bores me. I like action figures because I can personalize them and display them interacting with each other. I remember a coversation once on the forum that went something like this: "Statues are better. Just because you can achieve thousands of poses doesn't mean they all look good." "Yeah, but you only need two (poses) to win."

I appreciate the sculpt work that goes into statues, but seeing a bunch of them lined up next to each other bores me. I like action figures because I can personalize them and display them interacting with each other. I remember a coversation once on the forum that went something like this: "Statues are better. Just because you can achieve thousands of poses doesn't mean they all look good." "Yeah, but you only need two (poses) to win."

Good points here. That's why it's harder for me to justify the rising cost of 1/6th figures. It's hard to create a scene/display when you can't afford as many figures. The other thing I hate about Hot Toys (and the recent Marvel Legends) is the doll-like blank expressions, which also make action scenes difficult and unconvincing. They seem to be moving away from that slightly with the BvS figures, but I feel like the backlash toward the likenesses will discourage them in the future.

Back