ACI Toys - 300 - Leonidas

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just a non-exclusive license. A license allows you to produce the item. An exclusive license allows you to produce it, and contractually prevents the company from selling competing licenses. Exclusive licenses cost a lot more.

SnakeDoc

I wish there was no such thing as an "Exclusive License". It ruins competition among companies especially in the statue market. I think because of this non EX license we will see companies competing and inturn producing a better product eg. Leonidas.

I wish there was no such thing as an "Exclusive License". It ruins competition among companies especially in the statue market. I think because of this non EX license we will see companies competing and inturn producing a better product eg. Leonidas.

Believe it or not, there are benefits to both. Like you said, non-exclusive licenses can encourage competition. They're also cheaper, so smaller players can get involved.

But, since they're cheaper, sometimes copyright owner companies won't bother with them ... not enough upside to waste the time. That means fewer licenses. They also discourage big players like Hot Toys from bothering with the license. And, while they can encourage competition ... they also discourage production. Companies don't typically want to compete directly like that. The lower cost of the license and direct competition cutting into your profits discourages actually using the license. Exclusive licenses cost more, and prevent competitors ... so the license is more likely to be used.

SnakeDoc

So Star Ace had a Leonidas at NYCC but no photos allowed. Afraid of ACI perhaps... Maybe ACI is dragging their feet on releasing some sort of proto because they want to see what Star Ace does first. Like a game of chess?
Guess the first one that releases proto photos probably has the most confidence in their product.

The only reason photos weren't allowed of Star Ace Leonidas is that it hasn't been approved by the studio yet. I'm trying to get permission to show pics as work in progress - keep looking to Star Ace's facebook and other social media for that.

In the current 1/6 world there are very few exclusive licenses except for Marvel/DC. Even Star Wars isn't exclusive.

Believe it or not, there are benefits to both. Like you said, non-exclusive licenses can encourage competition. They're also cheaper, so smaller players can get involved.

But, since they're cheaper, sometimes copyright owner companies won't bother with them ... not enough upside to waste the time. That means fewer licenses. They also discourage big players like Hot Toys from bothering with the license. And, while they can encourage competition ... they also discourage production. Companies don't typically want to compete directly like that. The lower cost of the license and direct competition cutting into your profits discourages actually using the license. Exclusive licenses cost more, and prevent competitors ... so the license is more likely to be used.

SnakeDoc

Im not even sure this is a non ex license. According to what I know Star Ace has the second movie and ACI the first.
Your reasoning makes sense. I guess on this occasion the consumer is fortunate as technically its two different properties which has the same character eg first and second movie both featuring Leonidas. Both want to capatalize on Leonidas's popularity so in the end the consumer wins with a better product.

Hot Toys is unrivaled when it comes to 1/6 Marvel, mostly because no one else is making any. Gotta wonder how things would be if they had competition in the 1/6 market.

My personal view and like I said I am still waiting for someone to beat ht overall.
It's difficult cause time and again they beat by sheer consistency and overall offerings! For instance they had an easier path with the first Leo and could have done a jointed body but they chose a difficult path in 2009 and 10 and really went above and beyond for collectors.
I would love for aci and or star ace to beat them but for that they should have a mindset like hot toys- mindset to go over and above and simply focus on "wowing" the clients. They have to first establish credibility and deliver consistently - not an easy and overnight journey.
How these companies deliver 300, underworld etc will define them from a future stand point. The Harry Potter stuff (star ace) nor the lotr stuff today is ht class to be honest!

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/.../137019-leon-911-partial-collection-40-a.html

Last edited:
Im not even sure this is a non ex license. According to what I know Star Ace has the second movie and ACI the first.
Your reasoning makes sense. I guess on this occasion the consumer is fortunate as technically its two different properties which has the same character eg first and second movie both featuring Leonidas. Both want to capatalize on Leonidas's popularity so in the end the consumer wins with a better product.

Both licenses are for both movies. Star Ace has most territories around the world. I don't know what territories ACI's covers.

I wonder if either Star Ace or ACI will go with real hair instead of sculpted.
Both companies have shown/released figures with real hair.

If they use rooted hair, that will probably count me out. I dislike real hair 90% of the time. It wouldn't look good for his beard anyway, and his hair is too short.

So there are two Leonidas figs on the way... How does two companies have the license for a 1/6 figure at the same time?

That's what I'd like to know.

It's just a non-exclusive license. A license allows you to produce the item. An exclusive license allows you to produce it, and contractually prevents the company from selling competing licenses. Exclusive licenses cost a lot more.

Didn't know this, thanks. I wonder if this is similar to that of Iconic, ThreeZero and Neo.

Both licenses are for both movies. Star Ace has most territories around the world. I don't know what territories ACI's covers.

I heard that the licenses cover seperate areas. I have not been able to find out which one has which area despite trying. I'd be surprised if the did overlap much though. Most people won't buy two of the same character at the same scale, so the companies would have to know they would lose sales to each other. Given that 300 is not a huge property.

Dave, do you know what regions star has?

I miss toyfair the magazine. Lol someone needs to create a new toy/figure magazine. I like figure Oh from Japan but it doesn't have 2/3 of the stuff I like and it takes me forever to read it. Even after a year stationed in Japan I have a hard time reading the language.

I heard that the licenses cover seperate areas. I have not been able to find out which one has which area despite trying. I'd be surprised if the did overlap much though. Most people won't buy two of the same character at the same scale, so the companies would have to know they would lose sales to each other. Given that 300 is not a huge property.

Dave, do you know what regions star has?

I miss toyfair the magazine. Lol someone needs to create a new toy/figure magazine. I like figure Oh from Japan but it doesn't have 2/3 of the stuff I like and it takes me forever to read it. Even after a year stationed in Japan I have a hard time reading the language.

The studio won't tell them that another company also has the license if it's non-exclusive. Star Ace has all the major territories.

The only reason photos weren't allowed of Star Ace Leonidas is that it hasn't been approved by the studio yet. I'm trying to get permission to show pics as work in progress - keep looking to Star Ace's facebook and other social media for that.

Thats quite strange because how many times have we seen protos with a big fat sign saying "pending approval".
There was a previous poster who attended NYCC and mentioned that the Star Ace body wasnt up to scratch.
Really going to be interesting seeing the photos and who comes out on top.

Already looking for a replacement body... Was wondering if the KP04 would be suitable in size. The body looks nicely ripped for a 300 Leonidas. But I am really not sure if he is big enough... :dunno

kp-gen-scene-pitt01.jpg

Back