Accurizing Kane & Dallas: a full list of fixes required

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outstanding sculpt and paint up Mindbook!! From some angles, it looks EXACTLY like John Hurt. Your painting is first rate - so REAL!!

Yeah, you're right, I know what I have to do to improve it, but I'm too lazy to rent the DVD and reference the movie, I've been pulling different images of Mr Hurt online, my sculpt is a composite of young & old John Hurt......I'm gonna try to get the DVD, and make fixes.

I think it's worth your time...because that sculpt looks so damn real! I really can't get over it. Please make the effort to tweak it... and put me down for one when you do. :)

Mindbook, like the others here, I am stunned.
I agree that it's not quite John yet, but damned close. I'm tweeking mine also, over the next few weeks. Making a lot of subtle changes to my sculpt.

With some work, your sculpt could win the prize. Ecellent job so far!

Thank you gentlemen! Sincerely......I'm very busy at work, but I'll try to revise it.Man I need a week off to catch up on all my projects

Space Jockey, I use a resin a technique I made up to create that look.

I have a friend at work who has the DVD, he'll let me borrow it, so I can reference a young John Hurt(IMO John was born looking old)

Anthrapoid, will you be making suit???
I think it's possible......I have an old pair of corduroy pants that look like the suit material.

Anthrapoid, will you be making suit???
I think it's possible......I have an old pair of corduroy pants that look like the suit material.
If I do, it won't be for several months. I want to find just the perfect material for it.
When and if I find it, I'll be buying tons of it so I can make suits for Dallas, Kane, Lambert and Ripley. I'll start with a clean white, and dye the material for the three colored suits.
Oh- and I'll need to buy a sewing machine too... :horror

I am going to be making the correct boots at the start of December though, casting them in a tough plastic- just flexible enough to snap onto the legs.

Naturally I'm going to continue to improve my John Hurt sculpt too...

I also have many projects I'm working on at the same time- one of which, is a 14 inch long model of the Nostromo connected to the refinery, from ALIEN.
I actually had it custom built by Martin Bower (look him up, guys...) but he did a rather sloppy and very inaccurate job.
So, I've spent the past six months doing incredibly fine detail work on it, and some major surgery too.
I'll throw up some pictures later...

If you haven't read this entire thread, you should do so- starting with my list of 29 modifications on page 1.

Last edited:
I also have many projects I'm working on at the same time- one of which, is a 14 inch long model of the Nostromo connected to the refinery, from ALIEN.
I actually had it custom built by Martin Bower (look him up, guys...) but he did a rather sloppy and very inaccurate job.
So, I've spent the past six months doing incredibly fine detail work on it, and some major surgery too.

I can't wait to see the photos!!!
I'll look up Bower, I learned more about Alien on this thread than I did reading any books.

THANKS!

Last edited:

That name rings a bell here. I'd really like to see that Nostromo model, especially after you're finished working on it. Sounds like a fun (but tedious) project!

https://h1.ripway.com/adev/kanedallas%20mod.jpg

The result of my attempt at Anthrapoid's method of raising the heads inside the helmets. Its a phone pic, sorry, and not exactly professionally taken.

I didn't have a dremel nor the patience to wait till I got one. Instead I used a stanley knife and sandpaper. I think it worked out fine apart from the extra time it probably took, and cutting my fingers a few times. The collars may also be a tad rougher than Anthrapoids but its a very inconspicuous area anyway and I'll never be selling these guys. Also I cheated a bit by pulling the heads slightly up off their balljoints because they still weren't high enough for my liking after the collar mod - a bit hodge podge but I don't mind considering the helmets disguise this.

So I tried 3 of the mods from this thread.

[3. Lower helmets on shoulders, to make faces more properly framed in helmets, and reduce excessive broad-shoulderedness of shoulder guards.
28. Inside helmet, grind down front and back of rim so heads can pass through without scraping.
Details and photos here: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1233115&postcount=113

29. Inside helmet, grind down back of interior under black sticky padding, so the heads of the figures have room to look forward or up. Before I did this fix, I noticed the heads of the figures were being pushed forward so they always looked in a down direction. Here's a link showing how I fixed this: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1239695&postcount=126

These were the most important to me. I can't see myself attempting any others as I'm not too bothered by those inaccuracies.

But dammit if these aren't the most frustrating figures I've ever owned. The amount of tries and retries I had to go through to get the helmets as low as they are now, the amount of battery fiddling I had to go through to get the lights working only to find they'd stopped working again after remounting the backpacks - straps and all - and having to strip them down again. Getting the lights to work took ages which I think is a shame - in fact the green light in Dallas' helmet still doesn't. I also had stupidly glued down the collar on Kane before attempting to remove his backpack to fix the lights - rather than trying to rip the collar back off, tearing the outfit, I decided to cut the straps where they attached to the backpack so as to gain access to the battery compartment. So I've now got those straps roughly glued back in place. I hate having to glue Hot toys figures.

I'm happy overall. I still wish the heads could be a bit higher in the helmets but I don't think its possible unless you somehow glue the entire outfit flat to the Truetype torso and I'm not going to go that far.

great job. :rock
kanedallas%20mod.jpg

Yep. Anthrapoids way without any sophistocated tools - a stanley knife and sandpaper. I also lifted the headsculpts slightly up off their ball-joints - which would look iffy and unacceptable if they didn't have big helmets on to hide it. Theres no visible bad scarring after all the cutting but I would still recommend using anthrapoids correct tools if you can - to be sure of as much neatness as possible.

You'll notice I'm also using the john holmes Kane sculpt - really don't like the facehugged one - the fact I'd prefer him to look like holmes is a testament to that.

Hi,
Sorry I've been off the forum a while.....I'm REAL busy, The holidays, work, the hobby etc.....Haven't had a moment to tweak the Kane head yet.

Back