Accuracy/Inaccuracy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legion

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know this thread will most likely devolve into bickering and get locked, but its worth a shot.

While I'm not quite as much of an accuracy obsessive as some are I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of the silly mistakes being made on HT's part recently.War Machine decals, Whiplash's jump suit, Berzerker head/dreads, Iron Man being so thin etc.

I'm not here to complain about these as much as to ask why these things happen. I know explanations have been offered for some of them regarding licensing and such but some others are really inexplicable to me. With all of the dev time how did noone notice that Berzerkers dreads should be 33% longer at least? Seems obvious to me so how did it get released like that? Why is the DX Jokers blazer the wrong color?

I'm ordering the fig anyways, like a lot of people are, but dont we deserve better?

/rant

dont we deserve better?
Yes. Yes we do. World, we are entitled to better stuff. Give it up, or suffer the consequences. . .

Tsar-Nuclear-Explosion.jpg

The reality is for the prices we pay for stuff it should be so accurate that there is stuff we think is wrong only to research and find is correct, but companies produce things inaccurately all the time, we keep buying them and so what incentive do they have to go back and correct? I guarantee you that all companies will say they have the intentions to produce the most accurate product and for the most part I believe them but it doesn't take but a day to show a model or pictures to get railroaded by thousands of comments on both sides of the fence to know whether they got it right or wrong. Now in the case of the Predator, that was an after the fact bait and switch kind of thing so it doesn't really qualify but I can't see any major changes which would induce another delay and more money spent to correct if an item has already sold out or is selling well enough.

Collectors can change things by voting with their wallets. The reality is that most collectors are okay with good enough and some will say "Its what I remember and that's fine with me" and so things continue in status quo.

Collectors can change things by voting with their wallets. The reality is that most collectors are okay with good enough and some will say "Its what I remember and that's fine with me" and so things continue in status quo.

Thats very true alright, the only other thing that will help is some stiffer competition as in other companies. Its just annoying though :)

Most of the time, they are also working off of pre-production movie designs which can and do change before the movie starts filming and it may not be worth their time to go back and correct "minor" inaccuracies.

In the case of War Machine it's not difficult to imagine the renders HT worked from were created before the final CG was finished. In order to issue IM2 products the same week as release the licensees must have been working off early production stills.

I know this thread will most likely devolve into bickering and get locked, but its worth a shot.

While I'm not quite as much of an accuracy obsessive as some are I have to admit I'm getting a little tired of the silly mistakes being made on HT's part recently.War Machine decals, Whiplash's jump suit, Berzerker head/dreads, Iron Man being so thin etc.

I'm not here to complain about these as much as to ask why these things happen. I know explanations have been offered for some of them regarding licensing and such but some others are really inexplicable to me. With all of the dev time how did noone notice that Berzerkers dreads should be 33% longer at least? Seems obvious to me so how did it get released like that? Why is the DX Jokers blazer the wrong color?

I'm ordering the fig anyways, like a lot of people are, but dont we deserve better?

/rant
you answered your own question. vote with your wallet or we go back to Kenner toys.

I think it's basically a case of greed.
Or at the very least, of wanting to keep costs as low as possible.

R&D and sculpting on these figures can be extremely time-consuming, and companies are willing to invest only so much money into it.
The best example I know of (almost first-hand as I had a lot of communication with the sculptor) is the NECA Alien figure.
That figure took Tankman months to research and sculpt. Same case with the Predator. And guess what, that kind of man hours cost a lot to a company, and there will come a time when any company will pull the plug and say "that's it, this is the deadline, we need you working on other stuff as well", or "this is costing too much, finish it now".
And even with all the time Tankman and NECA invested into researching and sculpting these figures, some things still weren't accurate (talking about the alien, don't have enough info on the pred).

Hot Toys probably allocates only a limited time of R&D and then sculpting (i.e. money) to any given figure, so it is possible that many are, more often than not, rushed. Factor in that they are probably spread thin with all the licenses they're tackling and don't have enough people with enough time overseeing each separate project and accuracy starts to suffer.

I think such oversights or mistakes are more glaring on creatures like the aliens and predators that are very sculpt-intensive vs. just doing head sculpts for regular figures.

But yeah, I think it is a case of cost management and keeping profits as high as possible.

If a company is using screen tests and costume test photos that can also cause confusion. Many times a costume or prop will get a few extra tweaks between early tests and it's arrival on set. Another thing to consider is how many "duplicate" sets of wardrobe for a movie in fact aren't duplicates.

you answered your own question. vote with your wallet or we go back to Kenner toys.

Well in my own defence I only ordered the Berserker, passed on the others I mentioned :D

But your right I did answer my own question, I was kinda typing as I was thinking :lol

vote with your wallet or we go back to Kenner toys.

EXECTLY :lecture:lecture:lecture

Even if this is what I need in my collection... even if it's just an amazing figure...
I just not buying things that have critical issues in my opinion.

Even if it BURNS LIKE HELL! :gah:

I only ordered the Berserker, passed on the others I mentioned :D

You too, Brutus?! :1-1::monkey2:monkey2

I dont feel price is an issue (although the prices are getting a tad too high) most peeps on the board can afford HT. It bothers me to pay almost $200 for a figure and have to deal with leaky bodies, joints that snap, or oversized caps. For the ammount we pay, we should expect THE best and nothing more. Given, some will still bash or repaint a $200 figure, thats all good. But it astounds me when peeps that just paid so much for a an HT figure and then spend an additional $50-$60 to replace the inferior parts. To each his own, but for the ammount that HT charge, every figure should be a bullseye.

Last edited:
We would have had to pay more than double this price for this kind of quality only a few years ago from customs.

The prices can get unreasonable at times, but for the most part, HT has the most competitive pricing on the market for quality.

Well in my own defence I only ordered the Berserker, passed on the others I mentioned :D

But your right I did answer my own question, I was kinda typing as I was thinking :lol
the Berserker has far more problems than the others you mentioned. but like you said, they already have your $$, so the damage is done. HT has no incentive to correct inaccuracies if they think collectors will buy anything they fart out. which is what typically happens here.
EXECTLY :lecture:lecture:lecture

Even if this is what I need in my collection... even if it's just an amazing figure...
I just not buying things that have critical issues in my opinion.

Even if it BURNS LIKE HELL! :gah:
i'm ok with it. i refuse to buy any more HT preds until they at least fix the height issue. i collect 1:6 mostly and i don't usually buy Medicom figures for the same reason.

It would be really great if they can make the figures more accurate. A more pressing concern for me is the QC problems we encounter with our figures.

Also, the recent Berserker bait-and-switch fiasco has again awoken us to the fact that it's never in the consumer's best interest if only one business entity has absolute dominance over an entire market.

/rant

Do you only collect Hot Toys? If you open up the scope, you'll see that inaccuracies are a dime a dozen in the world of collectibles, cheap and high-end alike.

Back