A very hard decision....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearmodel

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys!

This is one of the hardest decisions I had to make and it's breaking my heart as I write this, but I'll have to stop collecting for a while or even maybe for good. It was a though last year but somehow I managed to getting a few statue here and there by finding bargains or by trading services or goods to be able to get what I wanted.

After losing my main job in 2008, I've doing contract work and getting paid reasonably well, but now I have to face taxes as an independent contractor as well as all the past bills I'm still paying.

I love this hobby. More than I ever thought I would. This is an amazing hobby to have and Sideshow is the best company I always had the pleasure to deal with. Despite all their QC problems, it is still the best out there and for that I thank Sideshow people, because they never had to give us stuff for free with the contests or the giveaways in the Chatroom. It is truly a company that cares about its customers and treat us like family, at least that is my experience.

The reason I'm telling you guys all of this is that what made this thing so rewarding to me was the people I talked to, the friends I made and all the conversations, emails, threads and PMs I shared all these years in the Freaks Forum. You guys are amazing and thank you for all the help and the positive things you guys said to me these past couple of years.

The Bear Reviews will still be up and I will add one here and there once in a while and I will try to keep as many sculpts as possible, I'll also be here periodically, but I don't want to attempt myself too much. I will try very hard to keep Gandalf, Rocketeer and Mola Ram PFs, but we'll see. Hopefully, I'll be able to go back to having a normal job and be able to budget my expenses better and return to the hobby full force, but for now, I have to focus on my family, although I feel like I'm leaving my second family behind by leaving the forum for a while....

Again, thank you so much for everything and look for some of my items on the sale thread soon..

Cheers

Bear
:monkey2

That's a tough decision to make, Bear. I actually tried to leave collecting last year, but the products (and mainly the people on this board) made it too hard to do. So I'm back and loving every minute of it.

It may be hard, but you can at least hang around the board still.

If worst comes to worst and you need to sell, I am sure there are plenty of people here who would be willing to help but good luck and I hope you can find a more stable job this year!

I was going pretty strong, and space was becoming an issue. I found that making hard decisions on the pieces that really mattered made all of the difference. Now when I make a purchase, I really think it through and not just get something because it is awesome.

By buying fewer pieces, I have found that I enjoy them more then when I was buying alot of stuff. Plus, if you skip something you kinda want, there are always the great photos from your fellow freaks to look at.

I am just saying, sometimes scaling back is not a bad thing. :peace:

Bear,

this is a tough transition to make, and regardless of what you end up collecting or not collecting, please stick around the boards for your thoughts and posts!!! You never spam anything with smilies, and always offer thoughtful posts.

I collected almost everything Sideshow was making in 1:6 scale, and had to quit that and limit myself to one statue a year. It is still fun to see what other people are into, and the collections of some of the others here!

we'll be keeping our fingers crossed that you can make the correct, tough decisions, but we are here for you, even if it is support to tell you that you don't need to buy something.

I was going pretty strong, and space was becoming an issue. I found that making hard decisions on the pieces that really mattered made all of the difference. Now when I make a purchase, I really think it through and not just get something because it is awesome.

Buy buying fewer pieces, I have found that I enjoy them more then when I was buying alot of stuff. Plus, if you skip something you kinda want, there are always the great photos from your fellow freaks to look at.

I am just saying, sometimes scaling back is not a bad thing. :peace:peace

Definitely agree here. I started strong and I scaled back a bit and now only collect specific things.

Bear,

this is a tough transition to make, and regardless of what you end up collecting or not collecting, please stick around the boards for your thoughts and posts!!! You never spam anything with smilies, and always offer thoughtful posts.

I collected almost everything Sideshow was making in 1:6 scale, and had to quit that and limit myself to one statue a year. It is still fun to see what other people are into, and the collections of some of the others here!

we'll be keeping our fingers crossed that you can make the correct, tough decisions, but we are here for you, even if it is support to tell you that you don't need to buy something.

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about. The quality of people in this Forum is nothing short than amazing. I will be here once in a while and I'm still looking forward to seeing Jack Sparrow and Colossus pieces, but I have to limit myself because the temptation is too strong....

Thanks again for the support and I think one of you guys should offer a Sideshow Support Group Anonymous for those who need help..... the SISGA...... :lol

sorry to hear that bear, i've been thinking of cutting back a bit myself but its really tough with all the great stuff coming out this year, but i see where your coming from, first things first. the best of luck, hope everything works out well, and God bless.

sorry to hear that bear, i've been thinking of cutting back a bit myself but its really tough with all the great stuff coming out this year, but i see where your coming from, first things first. the best of luck, hope everything works out well, and God bless.

Thank you!

I think the thing that is killing me it choosing which one I have to let go....

I have 3 in mind but I can't get myself to sell more than that. I only have 17 pieces in total and getting rid of anything is so so hard...

I know I'm keeping my Hulk PF, Berserker, Blackbeard, Darkness PF, Hellboy II for sure, everything else I don't know yet....Indy and Terminator Pfs probably staying too as well as Juggernaut Maquette...

This is so freaking hard.........:banghead

Bear, do what you gotta do, man. Just know that there's always room for your posts here, and there'll always be Freaks ready to help you get the items you want once you have things back in order. :duff

"When you're going through Hell ... keep going."

It takes a real man to put his family first. No regrets, man ... you should be proud of yourself. We've all been through it, and it always looks worse from in the midst than it does in the rearview mirror.

You can always go back and buy the stuff you missed later on ... its only stuff.

SnakeDoc

It takes a real man to put his family first. No regrets, man ... you should be proud of yourself. We've all been through it, and it always looks worse from in the midst than it does in the rearview mirror.

You can always go back and buy the stuff you missed later on ... its only stuff.

SnakeDoc

You're right Doc!

It is only stuff, stuff that i love.....but I do love my family more and if things turns around, I will be getting them back......the stuff, not my family.... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the support

Bear

I know all to well what you're going through. Life's turn of events has caused me to makes some decisions and big sacrifices. The collection has paid the price but it's all for the best. I'm going approach it as "do (buy) what I can, when I can". And I'm ok with that.

Best of luck to you Bear. And you still have that Sideshow $100 gift Certificate don't you? Put it to good use when the time is right. :)

I know all to well what you're going through. Life's turn of events has caused me to makes some decisions and big sacrifices. The collection has paid the price but it's all for the best. I'm going approach it as "do (buy) what I can, when I can". And I'm ok with that.

Best of luck to you Bear. And you still have that Sideshow $100 gift Certificate don't you? Put it to good use when the time is right. :)

I will. Don't know if I will wait to pt toward something in the future or just get something that is available, like Jaws Maquette....

I have until June to decide...

SnakeDoc

Well said! :lecture

Hang tough, Bear. Best Wishes and Best of Luck!

Just remember on thing...hanging out here is free! :rock

That sucks Bear...but don't leave us!

I haven't collected anything since last July! I'm still here....i just love the people!!!

Don't worry. I wouldn't say that u should stop collecting for good....but more for a while! You just have to keep positive! :)

good luck. you should maybe try not to be an all or nothing collector. Having 3 PFs on order at 1 time seems like a lot to me. you know you can cut back to just 1 item at a time right? :lol we won't think less of you. at least I won't.

i know the feeling though. sometimes i get overwhelmed so what I do is go cancel some of the stuff on order and it makes me feel better. :lol

i will say its funny how dramatic you are when you just listed like 10 items that are worth at least $300. Many here would consider themselves very lucky to have half that. So don't be so sad.

Back