A problem with someone using my name and address for stuff

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf873

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Few weeks a ago I posted about my problem pertaining to credit card scam. While I have asked my cc company to look into it, the scammer has apparently used my name (though not correct wholly spelling-wise) and my home-address to purchase wireless service plan. Today I got a bill for that service. I called the respective company to take care of it and they told me not to worry since the birthday and license info on their account didn't match with what I gave and they are looking into it. Now when the cc scam happened I didn't contact the police, thinking it might go away like a bad dream. But apparently they can do this thing too. Now I have emailed the fraud division of the police and am waiting for their response.

Any suggestions to help me out of this anyone? Does the scammer having my name and address can do me any real harm? My cc company already issued me a new card, so I think he can't use my money anymore but what of the name and address?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Few weeks a ago I posted about my problem pertaining to credit card scam. While I have asked my cc company to look into it, the scammer has apparently used my name (though not correct wholly spelling-wise) and my home-address to purchase wireless service plan. Today I got a bill for that service. I called the respective company to take care of it and they told me not to worry since the birthday and license info on their account didn't match with what I gave and they are looking into it. Now when the cc scam happened I didn't contact the police, thinking it might go away like a bad dream. But apparently they can do this thing too. Now I have emailed the fraud division of the police and am waiting for their response.

Any suggestions to help me out of this anyone? Does the scammer having my name and address can do me any real harm? My cc company already issued me a new card, so I think he can't use my money anymore but what of the name and address?

Thanks

If just having a name and address would do harm, all of us would be in trouble. That wireless service is dumb as hell if they allowed someone to get it then have it billed to another address.

I've had the luck of having three credit cards compromised. That's why I'm so ____ about checking every transaction on my statement. I got some sort of computer online service, not even sure for what, and called the CS number and it was cancelled and I wasn't charged. Taking care of the fraudulent credit was not as easy.

I think it's just a test to see if they have a valid number. Small transactions without anything "tangible/deliverable" to see if the card is good.

I also got a few $1-$2 charges for junk.

I check my statement about every two weeks and save all receipts, so I know what I bought and what I didn't.

it doesnt matter now. if they gave you a new card they must of canceled your other one. so you are fine now. this happened to my mom years ago. someone got her card number and info and he statement came and she was billed for a tv and dvd player she didnt buy. she was issued a new card and did not have to pay for the stuff that her card was used for. l never give my card info. especially on line. l only use paypal and never give stores my info. because then this can happen.

There shouldn't be much they can do with just your name and address.
Last year there were some fraudulent charges on my card, but the bank detected them instantly before I even knew and then issued me a new card quick, pretty easy thing. The main thing to worry about is if they get your SS number

You mean social insurance number? Well that's safe. The police told me to ask Equifax to flag my account with fraudulent activity, so that anyone who opens anything under my name, a flag would come up. I guess it means I'd be notified. But should I pursue this with the police? I mean you guys did say there's not much one can do with just name and address right? What bothers me is why didn't that Wireless company (Rogers) make sure that no. on license matched with the address?

Hi everyone,

Thanks

My parents had someone add voicemail and am 800 number to their phone acct. My parents speak Italian and their English is not that great. I called for them and the phone company said that I had called and authorized it! I'm not even on the account. I tore them a new one on the phone and they took care of it.

It never hurts to contact the police about it. These people are still trying to do something wrong by using your name and address. It's the first steps to more fraudulent activity. Let the police know so that they can be checked out before something worse happens, whether it be to you, or to someone else.

OK, now I find out there are some discrepancies with my credit file from one of the agencies, they say on the file my address and phone number is located somewhere other than my place of current residence. How the heck did they manage to do that? They have told me to send my photo IDs and other info to update the file and open an investigation.

That could just be someone at the credit agency who screwed up. That happened to me once when I was trying to buy a house. The lender submitted a standard credit check, and the credit agency sent back a report that had me living and owing money in a state that I had never even visited, let alone lived.

It took some work, but we got it straightened out. Somehow someone at the agency had attached someone else's data to my report.

Well the police was of no use. They told me they couldn't do anything until Visa and Rogers both contacted them first about the problem. All they told me to do was keep pushing it with them and also to notify two credit companies so they can watch for any changes in my credit file. I asked the police what if they misuse my name for any illegal activities, and they said they can't do anything about it and when that happens, necessary actions will be taken and only then they will do something about it. That seriously sucks, anyone know any other thing I can do to protect myself, take necessary steps?

Change your name, and move to another country. :D

I am sorry they were of no help. I would just say keep your eyes open and watch out for more from these dumb a$$es. Hopefully nothing more will happen.

I am doing just that. Will be keeping a tight watch. I'm being quite optimistic here, if they just have my name and address, they shouldn't be able to do much more. I mean it's not like they have my social number. The Crime Watch people told me best you could do is keep an eye out and hope they move on to next person. Not the best thing to wish for, but under the circumstances, I sincerely hope they forget about me fast as my student life is hard enough.

Back