A L I E N THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of changes: I always felt a little sorry for Veronica Cartwright. Imagine finding out you aren't the lead character after you arrive on set.

Speaking of changes: I always felt a little sorry for Veronica Cartwright. Imagine finding out you aren't the lead character after you arrive on set.

Me too, I liked her character. Most of the deleted scenes had Veronica in them, including her "B-itch-off "with Ripley...

Hudson's Character in Aliens was also, in part, inspired by her doomsday rants...

Ok I was hestitant to ask this but it's well somewhat driving me crazy folks. The scene when the Alien was about to headbite Ripley in her space helmet. The alien's inner jaw was closed kind of like coming out slowly. Unlike when it killed Brett & Parker; the innner jaw opened inside the mouth then well you know the rest.

So my silly question is...what's up that? I :google I had to ask because I never understood that. Thanks..:confused::duh

Ok I was hestitant to ask this but it's well somewhat driving me crazy folks. The scene when the Alien was about to headbite Ripley in her space helmet. The alien's inner jaw was closed kind of like coming out slowly. Unlike when it killed Brett & Parker; the innner jaw opened inside the mouth then well you know the rest.

So my silly question is...what's up that? I :google I had to ask because I never understood that. Thanks..:confused::duh

From a film perspective, using that image is a good way to make the scare of the moment stronger because everyone knows by that point what will follow if he gets her versus just standing there behind her, and since it's a quick shot and only meant for one last scare, I'm sure they just weren't paying attention. Also, it was 1979 so there could have been mechanical issues and even though they pushed the button or whatever, the mouth didn't open, but the take went right so they didn't chance a reshoot and have the jaw work but the take come out bad.

From a story perspective, similarly, I'd say the Alien was just using the jaw as a scare tactic like animals use anatomy to scare off enemies and frighten prey.

Maybe the alien didn't really want to kill her.
There was a sexual undercurrent to Alien. And when the alien is in the Narcissus and Ripley hides in the "closet", it shows its tongue in a very meaningful way... or maybe I'm a pervert! LOL!

There was a sexual undercurrent to Alien. And when the alien is in the Narcissus and Ripley hides in the "closet", it shows its tongue in a very meaningful way... or maybe I'm a pervert! LOL!

I kind of got that image too...it looked like it wanted her...if you know what I mean...:naughty:naughty:naughty

Ya, it does almost have come off like the ALIEN is getting a boner from Ripley, and it does kinda feel up Lambert with it's tail. Definitely some strong sexual overtones to it, but it seemed like they not only went to Giger for the look but also to sort of map out how it works when he designed the look and knowing him, the results are some innuendo in the film.

Also, it's not noticeable in the movie, but during filming the alien had the tail attached to the front and not the back (in some scenes).
And the alien was an equal opportunity sex offender, because the tail was between Brett's legs originally (you can still see its his sneakers and not Lambert's boots).
I can't remember where I read/heard it, but in some interview one of the cast (probably Weaver) was discussing the fact that the alien had Kane's instincts and drives, i.e. those of a man, so maybe it had a kind of sexual urge. It just didn't know how to go about it.

See, that's the kind of undercurrent that got completely lost with Cameron's sequel...

The alien was so much creepier in the first movie.
It was truly an abomination.

Here's the way I break down the Alien films in terms of their feel and tones.

ALIEN - Horror in a sci-fi context

ALIENS - War movie in a sci-fi context

ALIEN 3, A:R, AVP, AVPR - Sci-fi creature films

I'm ok with what Cameron did becaus I don't think he altered what the Alien was, at least nowhere near the extent of A3 on, but his film was more about the human characters and the focus was on how they handled themselves in the situation and the Aliens were more of a circumstance than a cast member whereas Ridley's film focused on the presence of the Alien and the suspense of having a dangerous being you know nothing about and having no idea where it is in the ship. As much as there are good human characters in Alien, I feel like the film's focus is the creature and the suspense of all the unknowns. You've got 2 key things in a film, characters and circumstances, ALIEN is about circumstances, ALIENS is about characters.

Back