90th Academy Award Nominations 2018

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day Lewis is probably the same - pre-nominated - although he does far less films and therefore you kinda want him to be nominated.

Nah, watched PT yesterday and it's probably the film that deserves it's various Oscar Nominations the most.

PT Anderson is my all time fav director and Phantom Thread is exactly why. Simply perfect from start to finish. Watching PT is the equivalent of eating at a 5 star restaurant and drinking a 30-year-old Cab whilst listening to Smetana in the background.

PT Anderson makes delicious movies. It's a shame this is the last collaboration between him and DDL.

Tbh does the oscars even matter? Every year something stupid happens and it causes an uproar. Like moonlight and the other movie. Moonlight was a boring movie that wasn’t groundbreaking and la la land was meh

Yeah, I haven't seen that many films this year, but considering that there are only 5 nominations, you're telling me that there isn't another actress that could be nominated instead? Someone new, maybe that actress from the Witch or the actresses from Get Out? Jessica Chastain for Molly's Game maybe?

Anya Taylor-Joy is fantastic and even Allison Williams in her final scenes in Get Out was great, I would be behind them over the same tired hag(s) [I'm eyeing you, Meryl].

Chastain was great in Molly's Game, really surprised nothing from her or anything from Wonder Woman.

I really hate all these PC ******** we get everyday, but some of those definitely got snubbed.

Some terrible noms in there.

Gotta agree Get Out doesn’t deserve to be on the list. It was entertaining enough for a one time watch but it’s not awards worthy in any capacity, any year.

I think Logan being nom’d for best adapted screenplay is the first time for a superhero movie?

Most of the music is not really good this year either...

BR 2049 probably deserves most of the technical awards.

Gotta agree with Khev on the Meryl Streep nom.. she’ll keep getting them as long as she remains a hypocrite.. ridiculous.

I hope Gary Oldman finally gets his this year. The rest of the list is so unexciting I don’t even care.

James Franco deserved nothing either, he was basically playing a caricature of a caricature which is not exactly hard acting, even though it may be fun.

I haven’t seen phantom thread so I can’t say if it’s actually delish as snikt is saying

Basically I agree with Riddick up above

Also HaHa @ Wonder Woman and their ill guided Oscar push, you know they thought they could actually make it. I’m glad it got snubbed.

Previous years winners Moonlight was very mediocre as well (I was actually really excited to see it and couldn’t believe how mediocre it was)and la la land was flat out horrible so I’m not too enthused with most of these.

Tbh does the oscars even matter?

I used to watch the Oscars and root for this one and that one, but it's lustre has eventually worn out for me. I can't stand all the political statements that have to be made for every award and "The Who are you wearing" blah blah blah. I think as I've grown older I see all Awards as silly.

It's all "who are you wearing" and "who do I have to thank" speeches. Oscars hasn't been entertaining since Billy Crystal injected some juice in 1990... and they're still doing those 'host put in the movies' bit all this time later, no one's been able to come up with something new.

Beyond that, the whole idea of awarding "the best" of an art seems like an oxymoron. I get awards for technical achievement -- but in the more abstract and subjective categories like acting and best picture it really doesn't make sense. I understand why Brando and Newman and others have shunned awards.

Last edited:
I used to watch the Oscars every year, I was always interested in seeing who was dressed the best/worst, and what would win for the animation and special effects categories.
Then I remember one year the first Transformers film was beaten by the Golden Compass for special effects
(WTF? I know that they are both bad movies, but the transformation sequences were insanely well done) and then in the Animated category, instead of things like Spirited Away or Secret Of Kells, they started scraping the bottom of the barrel by nominating things like a Shrek sequel, or this year you have Boss Baby on the list.

2049 not getting a Best Picture nom......Yeah, that's bananas.

BEST PICTURE
Call Me By Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water <----Only because this is the only one I had any interest at all in seeing.
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

BEST ACTOR
Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name
Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq.

BEST ACTRESS
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Margot Robbie, I, Tonya
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird
Meryl Streep, The Post

BEST DIRECTOR
Dunkirk, Christopher Nolan
Get Out, Jordan Peele
Lady Bird, Greta Gerwig
Phantom Thread, Paul Thomas Anderson
The Shape of Water, Guillermo del Toro <----because it's Guillermo

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
Allison Janney, I, Tonya
Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread
Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird
Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project <----because I always loved his first name
Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water
Christopher Plummer, All the Money in the World
Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Blade Runner 2049 <-----because it should win something
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Mudbound
The Shape of Water

ORIGINAL SCORE
Dunkirk
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi <-----because John Williams
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

VISUAL EFFECTS
Blade Runner 2049
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 <-----because young Kurt looked good
Kong: Skull Island
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
War for the Planet of the Apes

ORIGINAL SONG
“Mighty River,” Mudbound
“Mystery of Love,” Call Me By Your Name
“Remember Me,” Coco
“Stand Up For Something,” Marshall
“This Is Me,” The Greatest Showman <-----because it should win something. Talk about snubbing a movie!

Don't really care about the Oscars at all anymore. Don't watch it and certainly won't watch it this year with all the #Metoo business.

Hugh and his movie got screwed over. :mad:

a8e9986c48602e59ca997cf880a0e386

The Florida Project & Blade Runner 2049 legitimately deserved Best Picture Nominations.

Unfortunately the Academy had to make room for Get Out, Ladybird & Call Me By Your Name. Good movies, just not deserving of a Best Picture Nomination.

Man I remember watching Johnny Carson and even a few Bob Hope as host...2049 deserved Director and Picture nods...imho

I'll be happy if the winners were Oldman, Robbie, Rockwell, Janney, Deakins for Cinematography, PT Anderson for Director, Logan for Adapted Screenplay, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri for Original Screenplay and Phantom Thread for Best Picture.

I will at best have three of the aforementioned go my way.

>Get Out
>Shape of Water
>Best Film Noms
>no BR49
>no Killing of a Sacred Deer
>Streep getting ANOTHER Nom for sleepwalking
>Wonder Woman being """snubbed""" is a """legitimate problem"""
The absolute STATE of the Oscars!

Seriously though, I'll only see the Best Of speeches later. I can't wait for "Person who gets paid millions to play pretend" lecture the average joe on morality and duty...

I see a lot of bitching, but I’m content because Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri was my favorite film of the year, I’ve adored Martin McDonagh since I’d seen In Bruges (in no small part due to the ravings of several individuals on this forum, if I’m not mistaken) and it can take all of the awards, as far as I’m concerned. I dig that Logan got a nom for adapted screenplay. I will say this, though: it’s kind of weird to me that Three Billboards seems to be cleaning up at all of these awards shows, but McDonagh is getting no attention for his directing.

Also, Shape of Water. I’m going to try and see it tomorrow, but it makes me happy because GDT is just so goddamn cool and humble and the fact that a weird fantasy-romance inspired by Universal Monsters garnering all this attention at these awards shows is so surreal to me.

Three billboards is my fave film also. I thought his previous two films were pretty good but I feel mcdonagh is truly in his prime now. Exquisite film that took me by surprise

Back