6 Foot Dewback Base

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solo_bones

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I wasn't happy with my Dewback base after a year of building some dio's for our display shelf, so I tore the old base down, removed the sand and plexi-glass container and started a custom sculpt where I could use the wood filler sand base that seemed like a more accurate 1/6 scale.

With the new base I can move it around easy enough and dust it, which i could not do with my old base.

Anyway, I still have a long way to go, here's the WIP so far.

Last edited:
Re: Dewback Base

OMG madness you didn't like your old one and starting over again?? this I gotto see!!

looks great SB........:clap

ever thought of using like a 3M spray glue and just sprinkling sand on & dump the excess off? dont know what would be easier or economical but i've done this on single figure bases with good results.

Thanks, gents.

@ barryo: Yeah, I actually tried the 3M and sand on parts of my Moisture Vaporator base. But I liked the look of the wood putty as it looks like fine sand at 1/6 scale.

It's still an idea I reserve for later on in the process :). At least now I can move the thing around for cleaning and to get to the lights on the ceiling.

Here's what it looks like as a flat base:

Here's it as a dune, hill type of base:

Last edited:

Thanks, gents.

@ barryo: Yeah, I actually tried the 3M and sand on parts of my Moisture Vaporator base. But I liked the look of the wood putty as it looks like fine sand at 1/6 scale.

It's still an idea I reserve for later on in the process. At least now I can move the thing around for cleaning and to get to the lights on the ceiling.

roger that.............and it will be brilliant like the rest of your projects.

Man, that looks great so far. I wish I had the space to build a dio that large. Good stuff.

I hope so, Flosi. And thanks you guys for stopping by. I tried putting down a little wood filler....definitely the right color and look. Well see how it looks in a couple more weeks when I start detailing..

12C60F2D-F1E4-4AA9-B907-573EECFD13D7-32104-000019152C27D17B_zps1c42328c.jpg

7EC6D110-5373-46EC-9B71-0D8775E0ED38-32104-00001915310188E9_zps8539cbfb.jpg

Amazing. I thought the last one was incredible. Made me sooo jealous.:gah: Now with more experience and practice I am sure this one will be outstanding.:hi5:

- a curious question - what did you do with the old one? Is it heavy or shippable???? :pray::wave:1-1::wink1:

- a curious question - what did you do with the old one? Is it heavy or shippable???? :pray::wave:1-1::wink1:

OOOoooooohhhhhh, I am sort of ashamed now......part of the display, the shaped punch board and screen/rock frame was destroyed on removal.:slap :gah::(

I still have the plexi-glass frame and the rocks that were inside of it...:huh

4C8DAEED-D854-4931-BABC-1E150B3D23F2-32104-00001915251E8079_zps5733eafa.jpg

Last edited:

Is this one going to have the plexi frame? How are you going to make sure the sand doesn't spill onto the floor?

No more need for the plaexiglass, as after a few layers of wood filler the base looks like real sand:

A424C7C4-C21E-47DF-BF47-B7D4A781C843-33132-0000197FF113B620_zpse630994f.jpg

Still have more layers to do..but this gives you an idea..

1F4B82D6-38BF-4A44-A4BF-A15DAC5C7EAB-33132-0000197FEE6BE0ED_zpsc4e16cea.jpg

Last edited:

OMG madness you didn't like your old one and starting over again?? this I gotto see!!

I didn't like the plexi-glass anymore, and I felt the rock base wasn't doing it for me anymore. I wanted more of a "dune" style base. I also wanted to get rid of the real sand so I could dust it.

This time I think I can make some footprint impressions that would be more.....well, impressive. :)

looks beautiful man.........glad you didn't listen to me........:lol

what exactly (brand & such) is that wood filler you use? i could use some & you are definitely right about the scale of it. awesome work so far.

Yo, maing. I use Elmer's, it's one of the more rare products that they sell....but man, it makes a good base at any thickness.

I will post more photo's later, as I make more progress. I was debating if I should use another product to flatten out the uneven parts of my base before I put the sand coat, as I don't want to waste it.

Also, the base I used causes the sand to bead up as it absorbs the fibers into the wet filler base.

SoloBones - Do you paint the wood filler on, spread it with a spatula/hand or spray it somehow??? It is very interesting watching you do this. I will probably never get to do it. Very creative.

You definitely have the dune feel from what I can see.

Back