5 reasons why Terminator Salvation failed at the box office

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Released at last in the UK so took the plunge tonight. I really wanted to see for myself if all the criticism was merited. It was great fun to see some new terminators but for much of the film the cinematography was abysmal.It was painfully apparent that the director comes from a music video background.The writing was rather weak, and whilst I felt it was a better film than T3 ( and more enjoyable) I was actually left feeling rather flat on leaving the cinema.I would think that this will do as poorly in box office terms in Europe as it has in North America.

This was the first time I have been to the cinema for a long time as I have had a projector setup at home for the past 10 years and I have to say that my enjoyment may have been compromised by the installation. The picture at the cinema was very poor ( even with the featured trailers), with very evident focus issues , and incredibly high levels of grain( which I assume were equipment based), and the sound balance was way off. I would hope that seeing it in HD later on Bluray will address these shortcomings and perhaps I will enjoy it more second time around as these issues were very distracting.

For the sequel to truly have an impact they to have Cameron on board

wishful thinking, my friend. i'd LOVE to see cameron back on board but he sold the rights long ago. the only way he'd have any involvement is if someone asks him. nicely too, cos he's still sore abt t3. :lol

Released at last in the UK so took the plunge tonight. I really wanted to see for myself if all the criticism was merited. It was great fun to see some new terminators but for much of the film the cinematography was abysmal.It was painfully apparent that the director comes from a music video background.The writing was rather weak, and whilst I felt it was a better film than T3 ( and more enjoyable) I was actually left feeling rather flat on leaving the cinema.I would think that this will do as poorly in box office terms in Europe as it has in North America.

This was the first time I have been to the cinema for a long time as I have had a projector setup at home for the past 10 years and I have to say that my enjoyment may have been compromised by the installation. The picture at the cinema was very poor ( even with the featured trailers), with very evident focus issues , and incredibly high levels of grain( which I assume were equipment based), and the sound balance was way off. I would hope that seeing it in HD later on Bluray will address these shortcomings and perhaps I will enjoy it more second time around as these issues were very distracting.

hmmm. i'm positive it will break even and make a small profit after including the foreign grosses. but that's already a failure of sorts. a movie like this wasn't expected to merely break even. looks like mcG's head is on the chopping block and waiting for the final verdict.

i've watched movies several times in the uk and they weren't very impressive setups. once was at the old prince charles in london, for "kiss kiss bang bang" the sound went out halfway thru. and the other time was in leicester, for spielberg's "munich". the picture kept going in and out of focus for the first 15 mins. people were on the verge of walking out. :google

the odeon at leicester sq, london is top-notch tho. great sound system.

This movie has been raped by British Critics too. I'm not surprised. I left thinking ' Meh'.

There was just nothing to it. It felt so rushed and the dialog was so bland and none of the characters actually had character. The actions scenes were OK but with no sense of doom, this movie had no emotional impact on me at all. I didn't hate it, I just didn't feel anything after seeing it.

For a movie that a) is part of a franchise, b) cost $200+ million, c) was a "Summer" release, d) has a run-time under 2 hrs and is PG-13 it most certainly is a financial failure. At the very least a huge disappointment. No doubts about it.

There is even scuttlebutt in Hollywood that this may have dampened the possibilities of the next two sequels that McG was planning. If that's true, it would be a huge silver-lining though. This franchise does not need half of its movies being "meh" McG flicks.

Lets hope no more are made. Lets leave brainless action to Michael Bay and the transformers movies.

Lets hope no more are made. Lets leave brainless action to Michael Bay and the transformers movies.

you know what's even more depressing than the terminator series' descent into mediocrity? the fact that a michael bay movie will very likely end up the more entertaining and (generally) well-made one, in comparison. sigh.

$8 million this weekend = total $105,495,000

Will shake out to what? $120mil total?

Current worldwide gross = $130,951,671

This movie has been raped by British Critics too. I'm not surprised. I left thinking ' Meh'.

There was just nothing to it. It felt so rushed and the dialog was so bland and none of the characters actually had character. The actions scenes were OK but with no sense of doom, this movie had no emotional impact on me at all. I didn't hate it, I just didn't feel anything after seeing it.

I saw this yesterday and i couldnt agree more with your comments...it just didnt feel like Terminator at all,a good brainless action flick?probably,a good T movie?not a chance..........MEH is the best way to describe this film,heres hoping they dont green light anymore.

wishful thinking, my friend. i'd LOVE to see cameron back on board but he sold the rights long ago. the only way he'd have any involvement is if someone asks him. nicely too, cos he's still sore abt t3. :lol

I'm pretty sure Linda Hamilton had them off him as part of the divorce

$8 million this weekend = total $105,495,000

Will shake out to what? $120mil total?

Current worldwide gross = $130,951,671

worldwide gross so far is apparently $60 mil plus.
so add the 105mil for domestic and it's abt 170mil, give or take...

my rough estimate for final worldwide tally (not incl dvd n misc tv/cable rights) is around US$210mil.

star trek on the other hand is already $225mil and counting, and that's ONLY domestic box office...

ouch.

I haven't seen it yet, and I'll end up buying it, to go along with the rest of my T collection, but I won't go see it in a theater! IMHO, the reason it failed has nothing to do with the quality (or lack thereof) but with the fact that it's just, yet, another sequel. I guess that it's the reasn why series are so popular today! They look more innovative than all the recent movies I've watched! I must be getting old (40), but I remember a time where the story primed over the FX. Today, it looks like they're basing a story on the FX they can achieve, and not the other way around. Series producers have less money, so they have to think harder to circumvent their limits, and originality is on their side!
Truth is, when I heard they were doing a new T movie, my initial reaction wasn't "awesome" but rather "when will they finally stop rehashing old concepts and find something new"! sad, hey?

For a movie that a) is part of a franchise, b) cost $200+ million, c) was a "Summer" release, d) has a run-time under 2 hrs and is PG-13 it most certainly is a financial failure. At the very least a huge disappointment. No doubts about it.

There is even scuttlebutt in Hollywood that this may have dampened the possibilities of the next two sequels that McG was planning. If that's true, it would be a huge silver-lining though. This franchise does not need half of its movies being "meh" McG flicks.
This is a failure plain and simple. Even though sequels may have been planned, the film usually AT LEAST has to make its money back domestically. Foreign and dvds sales help after the fact to make films profitable but when you have barely recouped 1/2 of your production costs at this point in release, you are pretty screwed...

I do want to see these old concepts back. I just wish someone would do it well. And it just isn't happening. And when somone did do it well on TV - Terminator - they cancelled it. You can't win.

no

the numbers i gave included the international gross ($25mil)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=terminatorsalvation.htm

the total is at $130 mil right now

Hmmm those are some conflicting numbers.

Many other sources, as of today, have noted a $67.5 mill international intake:

https://www.variety.com/article/VR1118004619.html?categoryId=19&cs=1

https://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/terminator-salvation-is-a-hitoverseas.php

https://io9.com/5282226/the-rest-of-the-world-loves-terminator

Thanks for those links...good reading there.

Maybe this international success will allow the series to continue....I hope so.

I hope the series dies with this piece of yarbage. Sorry, put your faith in the new Star Trek guys, it looks a lot more promising

I haven't seen it yet, and I'll end up buying it, to go along with the rest of my T collection, but I won't go see it in a theater! IMHO, the reason it failed has nothing to do with the quality (or lack thereof) but with the fact that it's just, yet, another sequel. I guess that it's the reasn why series are so popular today! They look more innovative than all the recent movies I've watched! I must be getting old (40), but I remember a time where the story primed over the FX. Today, it looks like they're basing a story on the FX they can achieve, and not the other way around. Series producers have less money, so they have to think harder to circumvent their limits, and originality is on their side!
Truth is, when I heard they were doing a new T movie, my initial reaction wasn't "awesome" but rather "when will they finally stop rehashing old concepts and find something new"! sad, hey?

good point. that's certainly true of most hollywood summer blockbusters nowadays. with the exception of pixar's work. everyone should follow their lead and place story + character above all else upfront.

yup, some of those were my sources as well, incl comingsoon.net's box office warrior.

In my opinion, this is just a good action movie but it's not a good terminator movie because the progression of the story is not go further beyond.

That's why most people here don't like the film.

:(

Back