5 reasons why Terminator Salvation failed at the box office

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I don't like gratuitous violence, I do think a little more in TS would have heightened the tone they were going for. The most notable example would have been when the guy tries to climb the fence of the Skynet holding pen and the T600 guns him down. That guy should have been obliterated. It was always a bit unnerving when the terminators showed up in the first two films, and you just wanted the heroes to get AWAY. TS needed a little more of that.

I still liked it though.

maybe cos in my country (malaysia), the complete OPPOSITE is true. here, going to the movies counts as one of the CHEAPEST ways for a night out. 1 ticket costs 11 bucks in my currency, so a pair of tix if you're on a date is still cheaper than hitting the nightclubs, where the high cover charges and ridiculous price of booze will set u back at least triple the amount for a trip to the cinema. even though dvd piracy is so rampant here, many folks still like going to the movies, it's the most popular pastime...

Well, here in the states, movies are still probably the cheapest form of entertainment and going out.

For example, I went to a concert this past weekend, 1 ticket, $75, a beer at the show, $9, far pricier.

The challenge comes in the allure of the venue. People will pay much more than a movie for a sports game, or a night at the club, etc., because there's a whole experience that cannot be bought and captured at home.

Movies on the other hand, you don't talk during them, much, or easily, so it's not like you share anything during the viewing at the theater, just before and after, screen size doesn't always mean much, especially with the low cost of big screens at home. There's a great deal of fun you can equal or even surpass with a solid home theater and a Blu-Ray, so it comes down to, is this movie worth the money to go see in a theater, or would I rather save some for another night at the bars and catch the movie at home, where $30 also ammounts to seeing it as many times as you want instead of a one shot deal.

At least in the states, it seems to me like where movies were once one of the big hooplas of culture to go out and do, in our decaying society, clubs, bars and all that sort of damaging lifestyle is the more appealing and movies are like a last resort almost, and you really have to want to see it to work it into your life.

Which is why I think TS isn't doing so well, it's good, but for a lot of folks, it's not worth giving up other things in your lifestyle for. Hell, if movies weren't such a big part of my life, I'd probably take people's word here about the quality of the film and just catch it on home video, but I like movies and there aren't a lot catching my attention and this one was a good one to get out and see, and I didn't walk away thinking I wasted my time going out, but I also didn't walk away thinking that was totally worth the effort to see, it was just good.

Honestly the movie feels like a tapestry that was woven together from a dozen of different materials. There were aspects that felt like other movie licenses, there were bits and pieces of previous Terminator ventures, there were plotlines that didn't make sense like the radio announcements and the actions before and after not really matching up, the unseeming powerful eye of Skynet itself not considering the shortcomings of its own programming, etc, etc, etc.

It feels like Spider-Man 3 where there was an original vision then too many "cooks in the kitchen" and all of sudden you get a film that feels like something else was supposed to be going on. To his credit McG came up with something far better than Spider-Man 3 and I actually really liked the film but reading and hearing reports about what could have been, the original planning and the alterations in midstream without any real rewrites only additions and you understand why it came out that way.

PG13, R, G it really doesn't matter, a good film is a good film and Arnie was in it enough to get my fix. I could care less about McG and I walked out of Terminator 3 and it didn't really effect my enjoyment of this film. It was just one of those that was almost there but didn't quite make it and the public reacts accordingly.

you could have walked out of T3 at the 30 minute mark and only missed half the film. how long is salvation?

I think you make some valid points...but nonetheless. I said I wouldn't do it, but I did. I actually went and saw the movie again last night. I liked it the first time...

And you know what, I enjoyed it more the second time.

Maybe I have a soft spot for McG...NOT for his former work but because he's a Michigan native, so I had to show some love.

T4 was doomed the moment McG signed on the dotted line. Coming from his background of music video's and commercials the guy knows how to shoot a pretty picture... but where has the guy ever shown any ability, instinct or know how when it comes to story? Oh well maybe we'll be lucky when T5 eventually gets off the ground.

The trouble is, this movie was constructed in a way that really only makes it's success and value accessible to a focused group of fans of the series, and it will pickup some folks who aren't hardcores, but not as many as it could.

I like TS, but I can also see where it's box office results are coming from.

i'm quoting u slightly out of context, but i think this whole culture of filmmaking via "focus group" is killing the creative process. they end up trying to tick as many boxes in an attempt to please as many types of people as possible. the same malaise has been plaguing the advertising industry. u hv NO IDEA how many idiotic, embarrassing focus group "ideas" i've been forced to put into the tv commercials i've done, all cos some bored housewife from the suburbs thinks it would appeal to her. the irony is that when the ad is out, that same housewife (or those of her ilk) end up judging the ad and saying "huh? that doesn't make sense!" or "that's so lame." :banghead

Well, here in the states, movies are still probably the cheapest form of entertainment and going out.

For example, I went to a concert this past weekend, 1 ticket, $75, a beer at the show, $9, far pricier.

The challenge comes in the allure of the venue. People will pay much more than a movie for a sports game, or a night at the club, etc., because there's a whole experience that cannot be bought and captured at home.

Movies on the other hand, you don't talk during them, much, or easily, so it's not like you share anything during the viewing at the theater, just before and after, screen size doesn't always mean much, especially with the low cost of big screens at home. There's a great deal of fun you can equal or even surpass with a solid home theater and a Blu-Ray, so it comes down to, is this movie worth the money to go see in a theater, or would I rather save some for another night at the bars and catch the movie at home, where $30 also ammounts to seeing it as many times as you want instead of a one shot deal.

At least in the states, it seems to me like where movies were once one of the big hooplas of culture to go out and do, in our decaying society, clubs, bars and all that sort of damaging lifestyle is the more appealing and movies are like a last resort almost, and you really have to want to see it to work it into your life.

Which is why I think TS isn't doing so well, it's good, but for a lot of folks, it's not worth giving up other things in your lifestyle for. Hell, if movies weren't such a big part of my life, I'd probably take people's word here about the quality of the film and just catch it on home video, but I like movies and there aren't a lot catching my attention and this one was a good one to get out and see, and I didn't walk away thinking I wasted my time going out, but I also didn't walk away thinking that was totally worth the effort to see, it was just good.

i always found moviegoing at the cinema to be a communal, shared activity, much like a concert. of course it's not as pro-active as headbanging and singing along to the band, but there's a very real, very tangible energy in the audience when everyone is sharing the same emotional experience---laughing/crying/screaming together at the same thing on screen. it's so powerful and one of the main reasons why i love cinema.

as for the economic aspect, i guess the attitude is slightly different here in malaysia. home dvd rental is almost non-existent cos of dvd piracy. but people will still go to the cinema cos it's a cheap nite out and a "tried n tested" date plan. :naughty

Honestly the movie feels like a tapestry that was woven together from a dozen of different materials. There were aspects that felt like other movie licenses, there were bits and pieces of previous Terminator ventures, there were plotlines that didn't make sense like the radio announcements and the actions before and after not really matching up, the unseeming powerful eye of Skynet itself not considering the shortcomings of its own programming, etc, etc, etc.

It feels like Spider-Man 3 where there was an original vision then too many "cooks in the kitchen" and all of sudden you get a film that feels like something else was supposed to be going on. To his credit McG came up with something far better than Spider-Man 3 and I actually really liked the film but reading and hearing reports about what could have been, the original planning and the alterations in midstream without any real rewrites only additions and you understand why it came out that way.

PG13, R, G it really doesn't matter, a good film is a good film and Arnie was in it enough to get my fix. I could care less about McG and I walked out of Terminator 3 and it didn't really effect my enjoyment of this film. It was just one of those that was almost there but didn't quite make it and the public reacts accordingly.

to me, that's the script at fault. from what i've read, the script was still being written well into filming. and the scary thing is, it's a fairly common occurance nowadays. sometimes, magic happens out of all that chaos, as in the case of ridley scott's "gladiator". but most times, fiascos like "spiderman 3" happens. and salvation.

T4 was doomed the moment McG signed on the dotted line. Coming from his background of music video's and commercials the guy knows how to shoot a pretty picture... but where has the guy ever shown any ability, instinct or know how when it comes to story? Oh well maybe we'll be lucky when T5 eventually gets off the ground.

i actually think mcG isn't the main party at fault. (see above for whose fault i think it really is) of course, being the director, he made a lot of poor decisions (cutting scenes that would've developed the characters). so story-wise, yeah i agree with u that he had little feel for characterization. but for the most part, it feels like the guy took the project very seriously and gave it his all.

hmm...i guess i'm the only person that REALLY enjoyed the movie. i don't think its better than the first two movies, but i feel its more of in its own category. i liked the solitude that connor was feeling. in one hand he already knew his destiny, but couldn't tell anyone because they would either think he was crazy or working with skynet. the only real problems i had with the movie was A. i don't recall John showing any emotion or feelings towards his wife or the soon to be baby, and B. Common---seriously, seriously....i want to slap that guy every time i see him onscreen. did he really need to be representing with his aviators at night??? well, that's all i have. i guess i enjoyed the movie so much because i didn't bother reading too many spoilers or over hyping too much.

I liked it...it didn't rock my socks because I am not a huge Terminator fan but I think it was a solid set-up for a new "franchise". They do need something akin to the big twist of the originals...which was preventing a bleak future. That was the big kick in the original Terminator films...perhaps they can reach some new thing here. I would like to see "key Terminator moments" from the future perspective though. Like Connor sending Reese back...Connor and his team capturing and re-programming the T2 "Arnold" T-800.

We're entering an age now where kids reaching their 20's DO NOT KNOW good movies. They don't know ALIEN or Predator short of AvP...they don't know the original Terminator and T2...heck...you'd be surprised how many kids DO NOT KNOW WHO INDIANA JONES IS. The point being is that we have things to compare the current films to...we have the originals as to which you can compare to "neo-franchises" to.

But it was mentioned above. There are movies reviving these genres and GETTING IT RIGHT. JJ Abram's STAR TREK reignited that franchise...it was not only a great Trek film.. it was a GREAT FILM...and I am not a big Trek fan but I enjoyed it. Others like the new Nolan BATMAN franchise and Iron Man have gotten it right as well.

Let's also be honest here as well...after Terminator 2...it's hard to improve upon James Cameron's work...the guy eats, sleeps, and breathes his movies.

I think when it's all said and done it will do good at the box office. It just may take alittle longer is all.

Having this reboot franchise die off would be just fine by me.

Though I'm sure someone will think it a good idea to approach this again in another 5 years.

It's just going to be an endless stream of filmmakers showing how bad they look next to Cameron, what's the point of that? Salvation in particular was an entirely pointless exercise.

I don't mind if it doesn't do well, just as long as it's good...

I saw Night at the Museum 2...SHOCKINGLY AWFUL...one of the worst films I have ever seen...

I thought the film failed because of the Christen Bales "rant". I haven't seen the movie and regardless of the rating or Arnold, I'll wait for the DVD.

I'm afraid to read the post here due to spoilers, but I'm surprised everyone hates it. I was told it was awesome and the story worked out perfect with the other films. And the Star Trek film had alot of holes in its story, but I'll have to wait and see.

I don't mind if it doesn't do well, just as long as it's good...

I saw Night at the Museum 2...SHOCKINGLY AWFUL...one of the worst films I have ever seen...

Museum 2 wasn't bad, but it wasn't nearly as good as the first one. The writers can't write good jokes.

I thought the film failed because of the Christen Bales "rant". I haven't seen the movie and regardless of the rating or Arnold, I'll wait for the DVD.

I'm afraid to read the post here due to spoilers, but I'm surprised everyone hates it. I was told it was awesome and the story worked out perfect with the other films. And the Star Trek film had alot of holes in its story, but I'll have to wait and see.

Not everyone hates it. I don't and quite a few others don't.

bear in mind this movie hasnt even been released in europe. america is not the world. it makes money from other countries too...

That's true, but domestic grosses seem too be more important when determining if they want to invest in another one.

Back