Action Figure 2017: Your Star Wars figure collecting resolutions!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To only buy figures I really, really like and not for the sake of completism; to edit down my collection so its impact isn't diluted by too many similar looking figures.

If anything, my SW figure collection will increase. This year's purchases were dominated by mostly Marvel.

After telling myself for a long time I wasn't going to start collecting Star Wars, I caved and have been building up the collection the past several months. I'm sticking with just A New Hope and The Force Awakens. Basically I consider it having a collection from the one that started it all, and then having a collection from the one that started it all again. For A New Hope I have Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Vader, and Kenobi. Also want to get C3PO, and R2-D2 at some point. Also have a couple of Rogue One Stormtroopers coming as I missed out on the ones from Ep IV. They'll have to do.

As for TFA, I have Rey, and Kylo Ren, with Luke, and Han on pre-order. After that I think I'll be all set.

Although the last 18 months has been expensive, at least OT collectors can be fairly sure they'll never have this many essential releases again in such a short timeframe. I'm looking forward to Yoda, Snowspeeder Luke - which I'll mostly sell off because I'll be giving him a lot of DX07 parts - and HT R2, which might be a year away. I don't need any snow troopers or other trooper variants, no trooper is as iconic as the ANH Stormtrooper. As far as the new films are concerned I don't need anything beyond Jakku Rey and Kylo Ren, which I have.

There isn't really much that HT could release which I would be interested in, beyond ESB Fett and possibly Han, Jedi Luke, Slave Leia, Emperor and Royal Guard.

Interesting - I'm not seeing much love for the HT (somewhat chubby) C-3PO? And I'm assuming shopping lists will expand if Sideshow, after giving us Jawas and R5D4 somewhat recently, revisit other OT characters (i.e. Tusken Raider). Indeed, given their place in Rogue One, one might think Sideshow would revisit their Rebel Fleet Trooper and Imperial Officer...

To only buy figures I really, really like and not for the sake of completism; to edit down my collection so its impact isn't diluted by too many similar looking figures.

Good point!☝️

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

focusing on OT and R1 exclusively....

This is exactly what I'm leaning toward. I loved TFA but collecting from that movie opens the door to "where does it end" for me. RO + OT allows me to collect figures from old movies (OT) and new (RO) while all having it be related to just the Rebellion vs. the Empire, a story with a perfect beginning and satisfying resolution.

As always, I'm hoping to keep it focused to just central characters. Already preordered RO Vader, TFA Han, and Jyn, and looking forward to Bespin Han, Hoth Leia, and Ep VIII Luke.

In an ideal world I'd also love to collect the ESB bounty hunters or a Sandtrooper or characters like Chirrut, but my shelves are already getting way too full as it is. Especially with all the great TV, movie, and superhero figures that are also being made these days.

It's looking like 2017 will be far kinder to my bank account. So far, it looks like I'm just in for TFA Han, Yoda, and Jyn. If they make Cassian, I'll get him too.

What I'd really LOVE, is if Hot Toys made a slew of announcements for a deluxe ROTJ Luke, ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan, ESB Han, and the Emperor. It's a little ridiculous that they haven't announced a new OT figure that isn't another damn trooper, or the most popular versions of the prequel heroes yet.

After the SW figs I have pre-order, its just rotj luke, ot snowtrooper, esb or rotj vader and the emperor for me and im done. Im getting out of the 1/6 after this year. I pretty much have all the 1/6 figs I want and after that, im only upgrading figs if I like the newer versions better.

Was going to get the shore trooper but think I'll just stick to OT imps, even then I'm probably only get the Death star trooper and OT snow trooper and then I'm done...unless they bring out Tarkin.

So far I'm looking at the Snowtrooper and deluxe Jyn as definite buys. My "maybe pile" is Old Han, Yoda, K2SO, deluxe Chirrut, and deluxe Deathtrooper. I'm hesitant about each of those for various reasons so I'm waiting to see the final versions before deciding. I want great looking figures of characters I love like the Snowtrooper, but I can be pulled in the direction of a character I just like if the figure looks amazing, like Chirrut. I'm making a point not to by any figures that I think look only pretty good just because I love the character, if that makes sense.

How long as it been since a non-trooper OT figure has been announced for preorder?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yoda is a grail figure so I'm trying to figure out a way to budget him back in after cancelling him. After that, it's hard to say. The ROTJ trifecta of Vader(w/ removable helmet), Jedi Luke, and Emperor Palpatine are all instant PO's so if any of them go up, I'll have to go for them. I really, REALLY want a Vader. If we don't see an Jedi or Empire Vader by the end of the 2017, I'm just going to get whatever Vader is out and available at the moment as I really need him on my shelf.

In a perfect world, I'd have at least one Han, Chewie, and a Stormtrooper of some kind. And I still kind of want to get Finn to finish my final battle Force Awakens setup(of which I already have Rey and Kylo).

My wish list: :)
1) snowtrooper
2) at-at driver
3) jawas
4) yoda
5) tie pilot

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

I ordered Dengar a few days back. I'm thinking he may be my last 1/6 Star Wars purchase. I like the HT Snowtrooper but I have the SSC version which I'm pretty happy with and the prices of these figures has made me fall out of love with the collecting. I think the only other figure that I really would want after all my pre orders come in is Tarkin. If HT do him, he'll be a ordered in a heart beat!

My resolution is to stop impulse buys. I need to accept that even if it's cool, if it's not a part of the focus, it doesn't get bought. I've bought and purged so many times, it really does irritate me. I want the original SW Kenner 20, but even now, I have old Luke on order and want Resistance Rey to go with him, then Jedi Luke, and I'm off focus again. If Tarkin comes out, I'm off focus again, so I'm gonna try some discipline this year. We'll see how it goes. Definite buys are Death Star Trooper and Gonks. Then it's Walrus Man and Snags to finish 1/6, unless someone does a Death Star Droid to upgrade the Hasbro one.

Right now:

Hopefully if they announce it:

Bespin Han
Hoth Leia
Bespin Luke
Vader
Lando
Tarkin
ROTJ Luke
Cassian
Krennic

Figuarts
ANH Han
TFA Han

For me, I'm going to try to get even stricter. I was lax a little last year with my increased income. And I've been playing catch up, which is kind of nice because of larger discounts and free shipping.

So far on order, I have:

Star Ace Lord Voldemort (almost paid off)
Sideshow TPM Darth Maul (almost paid off)
Hot Toys ANH Obi-Wan Kenobi (on flex)
Hot Toys RO Darth Vader
ThreeZero Berserk Skull Knight (paid off)
ThreeZero H6 Michael Myers

In the maybe I'll keep list is:
Star Ace OotP Albus Dumbledore (May wait for a sale/use reward points)
Star Ace HBP Severus Snape (May wait for a sale/use reward points)

As far as what I'm hoping and praying for...

Hot Toys RO Wilhuff Tarkin
Hot Toys RO Orson Krennic
Hot Toys ROTJ Emperor Palpatine
Hot Toys ROTS Anakin Skywalker
Hot Toys ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hot Toys ROTS Count Dooku
Hot Toys ROTS Darth Vader 1/4
Hot Toys TFA Kylo Ren 1/4
ThreeZero H6 Dr. Samuel Loomis
Star Ace The Flash Barry Allen

It seems like a lot, but in reality, I may change my mind about things/things won't get made/won't out come next year. Who's to say..? :) I think I'm in pretty good shape with only three "must" figures on order that I haven't paid anything on.

Will be buying Hot Toys OT only.

Thankfully I don't like any of the new DC movies and only Marvel figure I'm interested in is Diecast MKVI Ironman, which means more money to spend on Star Wars.

Must buys are, Yoda, Snowtrooper, C-3PO, R2D2, Emperor, ESB Vader, ESB Han, and Tie fighter Pilot.

Back