1up Layoffs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugby1970

Super Freak
Reaction score
Don't know if many of you care but I just heard the news that UGO bought the 1up network and has cancelled the 1up Yours podcast, The 1up show and laid off dozens.

Whatever you thought of he personalities, these were great shows that really tried to look at games seriously and to broaden the discussion around gaming.

Some of my favorite podcasts. I'm really going to miss them.

Jeff

Assessing Damage At 1up

In association with this, Ziff Davis Media's EGM Magazine, a consumer game print mainstay since 1989, will be discontinued. The January 2009 issue will be the final printed issue.

Wow! :google

They used to publish about 6-7 gaming magazines. Now there are NONE. With EGM gone, it's basically just Game Informer (which has been better anyway). But still... this is pretty stunning news.

In association with this, Ziff Davis Media's EGM Magazine, a consumer game print mainstay since 1989, will be discontinued. The January 2009 issue will be the final printed issue.

EGM and Diehard Gamefan were my staples in the 90's. 16-bit, those were the days. :monkey2

Don't know if many of you care but I just heard the news that UGO bought the 1up network and has cancelled the 1up Yours podcast, The 1up show and laid off dozens.

I care, dude.

A part of my gaming life just died with the news of the 1up layoffs/EGM death today. I've been an EGM reader for 10+ years and I've followed 1up.com since its inception.

The 1Up Yours, 1Up FM, Retronauts, and LAN Party podcasts are what kept me going (and laughing) each week. The 1Up Show is what I looked forward to every Friday/Saturday morning.

They are some of the best friends I've never met. It deepens me greatly to see some great people leave. God speed and good luck.

It's the end of an era.

^^^^ YOU UGO.

I care, dude.

A part of my gaming life just died with the news of the 1up layoffs/EGM death today. I've been an EGM reader for 10+ years and I've followed 1up.com since its inception.

The 1Up Yours, 1Up FM, Retronauts, and LAN Party podcasts are what kept me going (and laughing) each week. The 1Up Show is what I looked forward to every Friday/Saturday morning.

They are some of the best friends I've never met. It deepens me greatly to see some great people leave. God speed and good luck.

It's the end of an era.

^^^^ YOU UGO.

Totally. I used to make breakfast for my girlfriend and I listening to their podcast every Saturday morning. Their show and their work will be missed deeply.

Glad Garnett is staying but I'll be looking out for everyone else.

I've been reading some of the Twitters for a few of the 1Up staff and ex-1Up staff and it seems like there's a chance that Garnett might still do the 1Up Yours podcast or at least start up a new podcast. Technically, Garnett, David Ellis, (the two remaining 1Up Yours regulars still at 1Up) and John Davison can still do the podcast. That only leaves Shane Bettenhausen. In regards to the other podcasts on the 1Up network, I have no idea what's gonna happen.

Fingers crossed.

I'll really miss the podcasts as they were, especially the crew of 1up Yours. They made the time fly when crawling along in L.A. traffic. I'm also glad Garnett is still there (for now), but it won't be the same without Shane keeping him honest. And vice versa.

The loss of EGM and it's employees is also very sad. I've been a reader/subscriber since the very beginning. The integrity of the editors and reviewers over the years was second to none and it carried over to 1up as well. I will miss seeing the new issue in my mailbox, Quartermann, and taking the time to read a preview article for a small game that I would have easily missed online (due to the near instant turnover of info on gaming websites). I wish everyone good luck with whatever comes next.

(also here's a great pic I found of all the old EGM covers).

Wow this really is a shocker. I only recently stopped getting EGM, but I used to have a subscription with them for years. Really sad that they won't be around anymore. The only Mags I get right now are OXM and Game Informer.

In the late 80s-early 90s, I read Nintendo Power, but as I began to realize (possibly subconsciously) that I was not getting completely objective discussions in that magazine, I switched over to Electronic Gaming Monthly and Gamepro probably around 1992 or something, and got those for a few years, so I'm really familiar with EGM. Its too bad that this company has to go, but now we can basically read any review we want online for free, with video, so what is the incentive to pay for a magazine? They started the gimmick of giving game demos and trailers in the mid-late 1990s (for $5 extra, of course), but even that is unnecessary nowadays, with downloads on nearly every major system.

So what the hell happens to my subscription!? EGM was/is the only videogame magazine I read. Sucks.

If it was a paid subscription, you can get a refund from Ziff Davis. If it was a free subscription from a games retailer or online promotion or whatever, tough luck (probably).

Last edited:
Terrible news. 1up yours was my favorite podcast (though it has been on a downward slide for a long time with having to constantly fill that seat)

i thought egm were di#@s in their mail section to their writer's the last few years. i love sarcasm but i felt they went too far and haven't liked them for the last few years and only get GI and OXM.

James Mielke (ex-EGM EIC) is trying to get that final issue uploaded onto 1up.com so everyone can read through it, page-for-page, for free.

I'm going to print out the cover on the best glossy paper stock I can print and frame it. It'll go nice with my giant 12-year backlog of EGM issues.

Back