12" Sideshow Henry Jones Sr

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 12" Sideshow Henry Jones

I don't know if I'd say that...speaking for myself, I'd always wanted to add Henry to my collection. but thanks to Sideshow's (unintended) "feast or famine" shipping of figures, I had to make some hard choices at the time he shipped and I think it's a safe bet some others have been doing that too.

The only "disappointment" I have with the Indy line is the stop-n-start release schedule it had along with some of the choices made for what to release.

Henry Jones is absolutely a core character worthy of a release, but with many Indy collectors having already picked up the Medi version a short time earlier (and that version still being readily available through Sideshow), Henry might've been a better choice to feature later in the line.

I hopped right on the waitlist for Henry after last week's newsletter announcement and he'll be up here on Thursday...can't wait to see this one for myself.

I gave Ex Lando and the Cobra Officer the axe and wound up picking up them up from VP vs. canceling Henry Sr. :nono Shame on you! :p

I think Henry Sr. would have done much better had Sideshow not dropped the ball so badly prior to him shipping:

1. Their first Indy figure...absolutely horrid Pro body

2. Belloq - weak likeness, grossly overpriced exclusive, not an iconic outfit

3. German Indy: c'mon, really???!!

4. Toht - overpriced and inaccurate exclusive, production glasses very toyish

After all that, is it any wonder why collectors weren't exactly grabbing up the Henry Sr. inventory??

I think its somewhat as simple as we never got an Indy that was really worthy, so most people didn't bother filling out the rest of the line.

Too much was required to fix that first Indy, the paint wasn't as good as the rest of the line, the body was problematic, casual collectors don't want to have to undress and take a figure apart, it can be even a little intimidating to newer collectors.

So if the main character is so goofy, why bother with Belloq in a white suit who was also plagued with problems, or Toht with the wrong glasses. Henry Sr. was the first figure that didn't have a major issue IMO. Probably the only.

picture.php

Needs a bit of accurisation but pretty happy as is.

While Belloq and Toht were both disappointments for me (particularly Belloq) Henry Jones is my hands down favorite 1/6 after 10+ years of collecting. I guess you take the good with the bad. This is a good opportunity to pick him up, he's worth it.

While Belloq and Toht were both disappointments for me (particularly Belloq) Henry Jones is my hands down favorite 1/6 after 10+ years of collecting. I guess you take the good with the bad. This is a good opportunity to pick him up, he's worth it.

That's why I used my last $50 gift card and grabbed one. It should be here on Friday! :)

I didn't mind Toht, thought he was a great figure. Had some minor issues here and there but other than that awesome fig.

I love my Henry and really love what people here have been doing with their dios! Great work, pumuckl8968 and LordAzrael!

Me too, I like my Toht quite a bit. I even liked the Ark :horror

Any else notice that Henry Sr. sold out today?

Good to hear he's sold out! This may bode well for the rest of the line. Funny, I just checked earlier today to see his status and it was still at around 10.

I've been happy with the whole Indy line. Sure, there were some problems and unusual figure choices. But ultimately, I like what I see when I look at my Indy shelf. I think the idol environment is my favorite exclusive. It came out great and I don't think the price ($60) was all that unreasonable for what you get.

Good to hear he's sold out! This may bode well for the rest of the line. Funny, I just checked earlier today to see his status and it was still at around 10.

I've been happy with the whole Indy line. Sure, there were some problems and unusual figure choices. But ultimately, I like what I see when I look at my Indy shelf. I think the idol environment is my favorite exclusive. It came out great and I don't think the price ($60) was all that unreasonable for what you get.

I agree, on all accounts. The idol environment will always be displayed with my Indy figure, it's the perfect backdrop.

It's just those darn glasses...
For those who like Toht, did you replace glasses?
I need to get good ones I think.

Indy, Henry and Idol environment rock straight out of the box.

I meant to replace Toht's glasses, but I kinda got used to the big frames. They look...okay...from a distance.

Well, okay they look kinda bad, but I also don't think one should NOT get Toht based on the bad glasses alone. It's a pretty great figure with loads of accessories otherwise. If you look in the Toht thread, a few people switched out the glasses and it made a world of difference.

Speaking about Toht glasses (and maybe Henry Glasses if you're not satisfied with the incredible way they turned out) has anyone ever tried these?

glasses_round.jpg

you can buy them here, a sheet costs $5.00 apparently.

It's just those darn glasses...
For those who like Toht, did you replace glasses?
I need to get good ones I think.

Indy, Henry and Idol environment rock straight out of the box.

I did at first but then actually looking at the original glasses they aren't that bad at least when they are on melty face Toht.

UPS just dropped off my Exclusive Henry. First impressions:

INCREDIBLE!!!

First, how did Sideshow screw up Toht's glasses so horribly when they're capable of producing masterpieces like Henry's glasses??!! They fit so naturally on the ears and look so realistic!

The face, while lacking HT's lifelike texturing and advanced paint, is still an unbelievable portrait of Connery!

The clothing...no futzing required at all and the material is remarkable! It scaled down better than anything I've seen...even better than the suit on my Bank Robber Joker.

The Pro seems very sturdy although I haven't really posed the figure yet, so time will tell on that but it looks promising.

The Grail Tablet...I agree with the criticisms over it being hollow. It definitely feels cheap, but it looks exactly the opposite of cheap.

My only disappointment thus far is the Grail itself. Who the **** approved that paint deco??!!! It looks nothing like the Grail. Even Hasbro did a better job on it.

Seriously, if this had been Sideshow's second release instead of Belloq, I don't think the Indy line would be in such dire straits. Heck, even if this came after Belloq instead of that bobble-headed German Indy, the line would be doing well.

If you have the chance to grab the regular edition through another retailer, DO IT!!

I got my exclusive this week as well....and, WOW!
It's been said many times before around here, but it bears saying again...Sideshow sure can do the old guys really well!

The sculpt is dead-on and well complimented by the paint apps. While Medi's version looks pretty good, Sideshow's features a little more character...that special Connery attitude just shines through.

The tailoring on Henry's suit is just about the best I've seen at this scale. It fits well and has incredible detail...from the well-scaled buttons to the eye hooks on the vest that allow it to lay flat without bulges...and the choice of fabric is well-scaled too. The slacks featured actual pockets...a great touch. The molded tie is actually a great solution and tops the suit off perfectly. The sculpted hat fits his head without having to be forced on, reducing the chances of scratching his bald pate.

But the best piece of attire is most definitely those glasses. They are absolutely perfect!

The accessories are good too. the grail diary is solid piece that is sculpted permanently "open". The umbrella is a a non-working prop that is closed and it slides into the top straps of his bag...the bag is another solid piece...a bit heavy for the figure to hold and have stand, but it works. As Sithlord mentioned, the Grail Cup has an odd paint scheme, but it's scaled properly. Much has been bandied about regarding the Grail Tablet...yes, it is just a piece of hollow plastic, bit it's well-rendered and looks great.

I know I haven't said anything new here about this figure from when it first started showing up last year, but I had to give it up when shipping time came around (the old story a lot of folks around here have lived out...too much great stuff ships all at once, making getting everything you want hard, if not impossible, to get. But I sure am glad this great figure came up on second chance. He's an awesome addition to my collection, and a "must-have" for any Indy fan...

Here's a couple of initial shots from me more to come later...)

Henry studying the Grail Tablet...
4315457464_5655a61cd9_o.jpg

....and with his son...
4314721125_a97cb51a59_o.jpg

Here's hoping Toht sticks around long enough for me to pick him up too...at least I've got both of the Jones boys in my collection now!

Back