12" John Wayne Calvary Officer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd also like to hear from everyone regarding the eyes. Mine seem crooked or at least one eye appears lazy. Would SS allow a trade? If everyone else has this same problem I guess I'll have to over look it. Still on the fence about keeping him.

mine's eyes appear fine.

it is a great sculpt imo...too bad about the pants and jacket.

I kept the jacket in the box and I agree the pants should be a different material. But the sculpt is amazing.

I'd also like to hear from everyone regarding the eyes. Mine seem crooked or at least one eye appears lazy. Would SS allow a trade? If everyone else has this same problem I guess I'll have to over look it. Still on the fence about keeping him.
The eyes on mine are fine. Best paint application I've had on an SSC figure in quite a while.
I think you should keep him and fix the stuff you hate. I just doubt a better figure of this subject is going to happen.

Great shots there Kain.

I'm glad your Pops enjoyed the figure Josh.

Here's Johny with his scout :rolleyes:
JohnWayneScout1.jpg

What do you think?

Maybe this weekend I'll get out my other camera.

Thnx! Yeah, he's a big JW fan. I got him the PF last year for X-Mas and he really liked that so I thought I would get him this figure. I also got the Tiger Stripe JW which came in today so he's pretty set on JW figs for a while.

And if you'd like to improve it, everything you need, with the exception of the fringed jacket is available from www.battlegeartoys.com to make it into the figure it should have been to begin with. You can make it a highly accurate version of "The Duke" that will make almost anyone happy.

Hey Chamildav I went over to battlgears site and searched but the only calvary trousers seem to be 1860's era ACW confederate calvary pants. Are those trousers really more sky blue? It's hard to tell in the picture. I've wanted to buy from battlegear for so long, maybe sometime in the future, I've only heard good things about them.

When I was growing up I looked at John Wayne as a true super hero.Well, I didn,t expect SideShow to to take it as literal as that to have done with this latest figure.It looks as if John has barrowed Spiderman's tights. What were they thinking? Why wasn't the usual sky blue wool type trousers used as in the past? What the h_ll has happened to the quality control.
I know the military/historical lines are not as important as they were in the beginning.That of course is because LOTRs, Star Wars and the Marvel lines are where the big buck$$ are.
Its frustrateing to see how little attention was paid to this particular figure. A few more examples are as follows: The figure represents Wayne as US cavalry from the 1870s to 1880s. If you look at the pistol, it is NOT a cap and ball, but a metalic cartridge firing weapon, there for the cap pouch is not needed.The waist belt with sword attachment is made of what appears to be black felt material.The holster does not fit the pistol and is crap!!The ones used on previous figures were of much better quality.The sculpt is very good, however as usual these days, the paint ops has changed on the production model.
I replaced many of the items with Battle Gear stock.Finally justice is done to the Wayne figure.I don't see where I am getting my monies worth any more with SideShow.I have been with them from the very beginning and have become disappointed in what seems to be a quality "snub" to us with military/historical interest.
I just bought the DiD Ross WW2 figure for approx. the same price.Every thing on the DiD figure is unbelievable in every reguard. From 1-10 it is a 12. Please SideShow all I am asking is that you keep the quality control problems in check. I am still a very loyal customer.
Thanks,
Brent

Hey Chamildav I went over to battlgears site and searched but the only calvary trousers seem to be 1860's era ACW confederate calvary pants. Are those trousers really more sky blue? It's hard to tell in the picture. I've wanted to buy from battlegear for so long, maybe sometime in the future, I've only heard good things about them.

Unfortunately BGT's stock changes from time to time and the union britches may not be available right now. I would suggest writing Auggie to see what he might have not listed on his sight. You know, you might also be able to find a pair of "Buffalo Soldiers" britches. They made a bunch of Indian Wars era cavalry items and figures and I do see them around. What you want is available. I'm just not sure who has what in stock right now. But I'll take a look around for you.

I finally got my Nathan Brittles, and I'm relatively happy with him. The only things I really hate are the holster (garbage, already got a BGT replacement on the way) and the atrocity that is the big boy body. It's the Buck at it's absolute worst. You couldn't wrestle a natural looking pose out of this abomination if your life depended on it.

Sideshow hasnt done justice to the memory of the Duke with any of these sub-par figures imo.

What a shame.

If it wasn't for the damn ugly trousers this figure would be Duke, C'mon SideShow what gives. You keep screwing up the program!!! YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!

I saw this at a store yesterday... the sculpt is very impressive. It looks like with this one and Obi Wan Sideshow is doing better about getting all the detail out of the headsculpts.

It was just a regular version so there was no extra jacket... but from the photos it really looks terrible. Which is odd since they've already made a good jacket like that for Custer?!?

I saw this at a store yesterday... the sculpt is very impressive. It looks like with this one and Obi Wan Sideshow is doing better about getting all the detail out of the headsculpts.

It was just a regular version so there was no extra jacket... but from the photos it really looks terrible. Which is odd since they've already made a good jacket like that for Custer?!?

yep everything is great except for the exclusive jacket...but you can just use the other jacket so that's not that big of a deal and, what made me sell mine on ebay, the pants.

Why has SideShow continued to advertise the figure as a Civil War figure? It is definately post Civil War, more like Indian wars period of the 1870s or so.The revolver is NOT cap and ball. Also the uniform is not of the 1860s. I know it doesnt seem to be a big deal, but I wonder if SideShow wants to pass this figure off as a Civil War figure to apease the "Civil War" crowd.
The quality of the historical figures has fallen below their higher standards we were used to as with the Washington,Back Beard, and J.E.B. Steuart figures, ect..Purhaps I should just change my interest to LOTRs and Star wars and such. The quality and attention to detail is MUCH better.

Brent

I stripped down the figure with the intention of swapping him off of the big boy body and onto a regular Buck, and it turns out the body is a regular Buck (an incredibly shoody feeling one) and not the big boy advertised in the product description. Not only does the body feel shabby, but it's entirely painted for some strange reason. I still swithced him over to a spare Buck I had that was in better shape so at least he doesn't look like a gorilla anymore.

While doing this, I also noticed that the left sleeve of his shirt is sewn a bit too small and is busting at the seams around the forearm. It seems they really took some shortcuts with this guy during the production process.

Back