12" Aragorn Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing work, my friend.... just amazing... I'm very interested to get this figure and try my hand, but I seriously doubt I will make him look as nice as yours. It's truly your best work. :cool:

DarkArtist81 said:
Amazing work, my friend.... just amazing... I'm very interested to get this figure and try my hand, but I seriously doubt I will make him look as nice as yours. It's truly your best work. :cool:

Nice to know I'm getting better instead of worse. :chew

Seriously, Josh, you are a master at weathering. One look at your Captain Jack Sparrow (which is now MY Captain Jack Sparrow, thanks very much) is enough to prove to anyone that you have a talent for exactly this kind of work. I can't wait to see your Strider.

Customikey said:
Thanks! I forgot to mentionm that I inserted wire into the hem of the coat and the surcoat to force them to sit right. It's especially good on the surcoat, because I can pose the top of the neck open so that the Evenstar can be seen easier.

Cool! It looks really close to the movie now IMO.

VERY nice weathering on the costume and while the overall look of the "new" face is better I just can't get over the visable paint that looks caked on whenever I see repaints.

The hands and faces just don't seem to have that smooth glossy finish that the original has. I got my Aragorn and was fairly pleased with how he looked.
I'm more satisfied keeping him as he is than having him look like he has paint flecks all over him and very unglossy texture on his skin.

Granted you have talent, I just think if you could somehow get the paint to not look so "plastered", for lack of a better word, over the original sculpt then you'd really have something.

You make an interesting point, Poggle. I think it's a matter of taste. The factory apps, to me, are a little too glossy and smooth, not like true skin, whereas the matte finish on some repaints, such as mine, looks more like flesh to me, and contrasts strongly with the glossiness of the eyes, making the details pop more.

When I'm painting, I try to make as thin a layer of paint as I can. If the paint is too thick, you lose detail and accuracy. I'd love to hear about some techniqus to reduce the offending "plastered-on" look even more.

Customikey said:
You make an interesting point, Poggle. I think it's a matter of taste. The factory apps, to me, are a little too glossy and smooth, not like true skin, whereas the matte finish on some repaints, such as mine, looks more like flesh to me, and contrasts strongly with the glossiness of the eyes, making the details pop more.
Exactly right. When the face is glossy it makes them look like mannequins. A matte finish makes them look more lifelike and realistic, and Customikey's the best at doing natural looking fleshtones in my opinion, no offense to our other talented artist on this board.

I will admit I agree with Poggle in that the repaints always look odd in the paint. Not that it looks bad but it just doesnt look right but hey I have no talent so I should probably just stay quiet.

Also remember when you're looking at a photo of a sculpt that is 4x larger than the actual 1/6th scale head in hand that you are going to see a lot more flaws in the paint. As we all know, SS factory job or custom, in hand it always looks better. I've had many custom heads painted for me and they have always look better in hand than any picture I've received in advance. Must just be the nature of that scale.

TheObsoleteMan said:
Exactly right. When the face is glossy it makes them look like mannequins. A matte finish makes them look more lifelike and realistic, and Customikey's the best at doing natural looking fleshtones in my opinion, no offense to our other talented artist on this board.
actually in my opinion, the best is to have a little shin(e) on it.
like skin moisture or something.

as shown here by kojun:
sparrowob4.jpg

and JC HONG uses this technique as well.
jchonguo8.jpg

and here's my feeble attempt at it:
goodpicbn9.jpg

I usually spray a matte spray that has some shine in it or clear spray, and sprayit at an angle (from the top) and it leaves a nice realistic skin-moisture shine on it.

and yet, painters like customikey and some guys on the OSW forum are raelly good at drybrushing and I like that style as well alot!

sunohc said:

as shown here by kojun:
sparrowob4.jpg

jchonguo8.jpg

goodpicbn9.jpg

I usually spray a matte spray that has some shine in it or clear spray, and sprayit at an angle (from the top) and it leaves a nice realistic skin-moisture shine on it.

and yet, painters like customikey and some guys on the OSW forum are raelly good at drybrushing and I like that style as well alot!

Wow, those are really amazing, especially the first two.

I admit I'm barely a novice painter but I have done a lot of work on small Games Workshop minatures in plastic and pewter and a little matte spray does do wonders to the paint job.

IMO, it not only protects it from chips but gives it an all over smoothness that is maybe what I'm not feeling from the customs.

Maybe some of you guys could experiment in applying different ammounts of matte spray to your finished pieces?

Now those look really good. Especially the Jack Sparrow. If it looked like that I'd consider getting it. I have no talent so I'm just basing what I see off the pics which I'm sure don't do the skills by those of you justice.

sunohc said:

as shown here by kojun:
sparrowob4.jpg

jchonguo8.jpg

goodpicbn9.jpg

The Jack Sparrow one is fantastic!. It looks so real!!. The likeness is spot on.

Going back to the Strider 12". I have a question.Does anyone know when they will be shipping to the UK?.
When Strider was up for pre-order from Sideshow i wasn't really interested so i left it but the more i see of it on this thread the more it's growing on me so i am waiting to see if hopefully the Forbidden Planet store is going to stock them.
They have the Boromir 12" up for pre-order on the shop's website so here's hoping they'll get good old Strider.

You've given me a challenge. I'll mull it over and see what I can do to add a touch of "moisture" to the skin. I like that description. It's funny that Poggle mentions the Game Workshop, as that is exactly where i get my matte spray from!:lol

But there are some semi-gloss sprays in my canon that I could probably do over lightly to try to add the desired effect. More as it develops.

CM, fantastic work, truly topnotch! I think the eyebrows do need to be a bit thicker though...

And everyone - THERE'S NO NEED TO QUOTE ALL THE PICS WHEN REPLYING TO A POST! Thanks!

Customikey said:
You've given me a challenge. I'll mull it over and see what I can do to add a touch of "moisture" to the skin. I like that description. It's funny that Poggle mentions the Game Workshop, as that is exactly where i get my matte spray from!:lol

But there are some semi-gloss sprays in my canon that I could probably do over lightly to try to add the desired effect. More as it develops.

GW sprays and paints are the best!

Too bad they're so damn expensive. I love their paints but usually use Apple Barrel unless I need a snot green or something odd.:D

I look forward to seeing any piece you use some matte on.

Poggle the Greater said:
GW sprays and paints are the best!

Too bad they're so damn expensive. I love their paints but usually use Apple Barrel unless I need a snot green or something odd.:D

I look forward to seeing any piece you use some matte on.

Every piece you see from me has matte. The problem I'm sensing, and that you illustrated with those amazing pics from our Asian bretheren, is that the work is TOO matte. It needs a slight gloss to make the skin healthier looking. I've picked up a few sprays, including satin and a semi-gloss. Let's see what happens.

Back