12" Aragorn Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darth Loki said:
Anyone know where I might be able to find a stool for this 12"? I want to pose him sitting like he is at the Prancing Pony.
You might try craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's that sell dollhouse furniture.

I was thinking the same thing. Michaels would probably have something unfinished, so you could give it whatever stain you want, and even "age" it a bit to make it look like something that might have been frequently used in Butterbur's place for a decade or two.

I still think that Aragorn was the Herculean effort that resulted in an admirable figure. I'll keep him but if he sticks out as subpar after receiving him in person, futzing, and seeing what the great customizers here can do with him then I won't bother completing the Fellowship.

I won't mind spending a little extra money to get as close as possible to the poseable PF on display at SDCC.

FlyAndFight said:
So are you saying that Sideshow can display a 12" "premium format-type" 12" figure and then produce a figure that is in no way at the same level of detailing, materials or paint applications, that this is not only to be expected but the industry norm?? :confused:

In true essence, the "prototype" pieces are to be as close as possible to the production pieces to be manufactured. "Some" changes may take place due to unforeseen circumstances but the piece should be very close to the prototype being sent to the Chinese factories.

I'm not saying its a great thing, but it is the way that toys and collectibles typically work. Sure, maybe Sideshow would do well to not set the bar as high (especially our expectations) with their protos... but then maybe the finished product would be even worse since the original proto to work off of wasn't as good?

And I wouldn't say these are no way at the same level... but they are different and this is the reality of the industry.

I haven't gotten my Aragorn yet, so I can't comment on what this figure looks like in hand, but the comparison from Prototype to Production pics as seen here on the board are really quite different. Even Dave's pictures in the review which were the most flattering illustrated the chasm between what we saw when we ordered and what we are getting in the mail. That being said, I am still happy to be getting this figure, and I am still pleased with the final result I have been seeing on message boards.

I don't care for the discrepancy between prototype to actual in hand product, but every toy company has this problem, as everything they use to solicit retailers to order their products are meticulously painted prototypes. I haven't ever seen something in Toy Fair coverage look the same on the shelf. A lot of companies that produce smaller figures even produce "two-ups", or prototypes at twice the scale to cram more detail and better paint into the prototype image.

I have a similar take as Poggle, in that I pay for a toy, and I don't like to make alterations out of the package, so I don't repaint toys or anything like that, but for Aragorn I will be making an exception. I want the best Aragorn possible, and if that means I need to distress his coat some, or try to thin out his beard stubble, so be it. I will wait to see him in hand to voice my thoughts as to the actual figure. Thanks to everybody who has been posting images.

I cancelled my Aragorn before I went to SDCC and when I saw it displayed there I was so mad at myself. It was amazing, similar to Obi-Wan. Now I am sad he looks (from the pics) so Toybizish. I did preorder the GG Aragorn, a very uncanny likeness. They better not let me down or else!

tomandshell said:
I will say that the beard looks better in this last picture, more textured and less "tootsie roll" looking.

:rotfl

No silly, it was the hair which looks like a melted tootsie roll...

Sorry for the wise-ass post T, it just cracked me up that's all. :D

I guarantee that with a little work and some time.... this Aragorn figure will be incredibly close to the proto.... just give me a couple of days once I have him and I will SHOW you all!!! :devil:D :devil

Darth Rage said:
I didn't see the smilies at the bottom at first, that's why I deleted what was there and wrote "nevermind". :cool:

It's cool. Just screwing around trying to have fun. Kind of backfired on me. :eek: :lol

Darth Loki said:
Anyone know where I might be able to find a stool for this 12"? I want to pose him sitting like he is at the Prancing Pony.

I think this figure comes with plenty of its own stool! :lol :rotfl :lol

Kidding, really. :monkey3

As much as people say there's no way to live up to prototype standards, let me present one that exceeded the prototype standards: Lurtz PF. One concern with Lurtz prototype was that his leather armor looked like it was brand-spankin' new. Well . . .SS musta really listened because the Lurtz that's shipping now actually came with (gasp!) weathered leather armor, that even looks (gasp!) dusty!

So . . .I don't buy into this notion that production can't match or exceed prototype. I was just hoping (fool's hope?) that Strider's would do the same.

Hey all,

I have been looking forward to this figure for about 8 months. Anxiously awaiting its arrival..... After seeing these pics, I just called SS and cancelled all of my LOTR orders. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am in this figure. For close to $80, I was expecting more...much more. I would have been completely satisfied with something that was like 60% of the prototype. However, what we get is closer to 30%. The hair looks awful, the paint apps are horrid, the outfit is the wrong color, the boots looks like big hunks of plastic, the brown leather is the wrong color, the tailoring looks marginal, the scabbard is the wrong color, and that plether coat is a joke. SS what is happening to our figures!!! The SW figures are semi-close and with a little love and care, they can be made to look pretty darn good. However, my skills aren't even close to the task of customizing this figure. I am sure DA or Customikey can do it but I can't!! For close to 80 bucks, I shouldn't have to!!!

Cheers,

Brad

Thanks for your honest appraisal Brad, it's good to hear other opinions out there while waiting for my figure to ship. If all I had to go on was the original Proto pic, I would be in for a real surprise, but my expectations are colored by all the photos and discussion.

Radagaster said:
As much as people say there's no way to live up to prototype standards, let me present one that exceeded the prototype standards: Lurtz PF. One concern with Lurtz prototype was that his leather armor looked like it was brand-spankin' new. Well . . .SS musta really listened because the Lurtz that's shipping now actually came with (gasp!) weathered leather armor, that even looks (gasp!) dusty!

So . . .I don't buy into this notion that production can't match or exceed prototype. I was just hoping (fool's hope?) that Strider's would do the same.
That's apples and oranges, premium formats are an entirely different animal.

I think we should also keep in mind that this is Sideshow's first attempt at making a costume this complex at this scale so there's bound to be some growing pains. I know that comes as little consolation for those wanting and expecting the outstanding quality of the prototype, but it's still something to consider.

TheObsoleteMan said:
That's apples and oranges, premium formats are an entirely different animal.

I think we should also keep in mind that this is Sideshow's first attempt at making a costume this complex at this scale so there's bound to be some growing pains. I know that comes as little consolation for those wanting and expecting the outstanding quality of the prototype, but it's still something to consider.

How so? I don't see why Premium Formats should be able to get better treatment than the 1:6 figures. They should put equal efforts into them. PF are just larger and made out of stone with a little bit more detail to be able to put into them just because of their larger scale. There is no excuse for poorer quality in 1:6

Should we expect a crappy Jabba because he is 1:6 scale or should be be great because he is a mini PF?

People cancelling this now are going to be SO sorry about it in about 2 weeks. I guarantee it.

Darklord Dave said:
People cancelling this now are going to be SO sorry about it in about 2 weeks. I guarantee it.
True that Dave. At the least I'm willing to hedge on the side of error and see it for myself. Worst case I've lost shipping fees.

Back