10th Anniversary (DVD) release of FOTR

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure that any additional scenes "need" to be (re)inserted into the films as they stand. At this point the films work quite well in their extended cuts, and a lot of the shot footage can't be used without readically altering the storyline due to their contents. I really can't think of any cut scenes that feel necessary to be inserted for the story.

That being said, I would be happy for the footage to be seen simply as deleted scenes on any subsequent releases. I like watching alternate takes and different story concepts that didn't amke it into the final cut.

There are two things I would like inserted, but I have no idea if they ever actually filmed them....

1. Tom Bombadil in FotR
2. Ghan-buri-ghan in RotK

As far as I know Bombadil was never filmed (always gets the shaft, doesn't he?). I certainly wouldn't mind if Bombadil were in the film at all, but I can see why it's usually the first to go. The journey from Hobbiton to Bree is a good read, but would slow the film's pace a bit.

Ghan Buri-gan - I can't remember that part of ROTK at the moment - I'll check out my books, but I have never heard of this being filmed either.

Unfortunately you're probably out of luck unless Jackson decides to go back and film extra bits for a "special edition" release for its 20th Anniversary. ;)

Tom Bombadil can be left out of everything. That part of FOTR just makes me want to fall a sleep. Total bore IMO.

Neither Bombadil nor Ghan (the wildman-leader in the woods on the road to Gondor who helped scout the terrains and make clear the passage to Minas Tirith) were filmed, and while delightful and important parts of the books, they don't add much from a cinematic point of view. They did cast and costume Radagast, but never filmed any scenes with him--which is too bad, because he's a great little character, though admittedly, inconsequential.

Aha! Now I know that there is more than that meets the eye, all these information really justify this release, now the thing is I wonder how representative are we to make known to PJ, and how does PJ knows in the first place that there are fans out there who wanted this... or should it be NL that should know about this... Looks like we can only hope for the best.

In reality is, I am just hoping this is an opportunity for them to release the Hobbiton Mill environment with the DVD...:D

Back