1/8 GONG - Lightyear - Buzz Lightyear Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, congrats on getting Buzz in time for the weekend! Shame to hear about that broken part, but paper clip sounds like a good idea, or maybe the small linking parts on an old keychain if you have one lying around:
View attachment 696611
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Right now the piece is still capable of holding the the strap together, but I have to be really careful with it so it doesn't totally snap or the strap falls off.

Did a quick review and just like the first figure this one has figure of the year written all over it. I completely love what Gong and Pop Mart have done. I find it amazing how much they improved the head sculpt. I honestly love the first release heads so the fact these are so much better is mind boggling. Now having the option to add one of your extra heads to your older figure and breathe new life into him and basically make him Alpha Buzz 2.0 without buying something else makes me thrilled to support such a company. I really hope Gong and Pop Mart continue to explore other figures and characters. I would love their take on a Toy Story version of Buzz and Woody.

IMG_1011.jpeg

IMG_1002.jpeg
IMG_1006.jpeg
IMG_1072.jpeg

Sad thing is I have the Hot Toys Buzz and I love it cause it’s Buzz but the head sculpt despite being bigger and the eye rolling is no where near as good as the offerings by Gong/Pop Mart at 1/8th scale. Looking at them both together - the eyes appear too big on the Hot Toys version plus the unibrow all on the same level straight across shows no personality in his face…like he’s in a trance or in shell shock. Hoping some third party out there makes us a new face plate or an uncowled head would be nice for an otherwise beautiful figure. Of course Gong/Pop Mart killed it
IMG_1087.jpeg

Did a quick review and just like the first figure this one has figure of the year written all over it. I completely love what Gong and Pop Mart have done. I find it amazing how much they improved the head sculpt. I honestly love the first release heads so the fact these are so much better is mind boggling. Now having the option to add one of your extra heads to your older figure and breathe new life into him and basically make him Alpha Buzz 2.0 without buying something else makes me thrilled to support such a company. I really hope Gong and Pop Mart continue to explore other figures and characters. I would love their take on a Toy Story version of Buzz and Woody.

View attachment 697737
View attachment 697738View attachment 697739View attachment 697740
Nice set up there dude, out of interest which version of the XL-15 is that? Havent seen one with the yellow trim on the cockpit but looks awesome

Nice set up there dude, out of interest which version of the XL-15 is that? Havent seen one with the yellow trim on the cockpit but looks awesome
Thank you partner. I honestly love anything Toy Story and Buzz.

That XL-15 is the BanDai Spirits one. It was like over $100 when it first came out. Recently saw it on Amazon for $38 about 2 months ago on a lightening deal with 80% claimed at the time so I threw caution to the wind and snagged it. AND… It’s so much better than I imagined. Lot of diecast. Good weight and the detail is incredible and paint is flawless and tight. Also comes with 2 little Buzz(s) one standing and one that fits in the cockpit and you get a little Zurg as well. Has landing gear if you don’t want to use the flight stand too. They are still on Amazon for about $52-55 and are well worth it at that price….actually it probably is honestly worth the original msrp.

Here’s a link to it.
https://a.co/d/1GKP9Qt

So how tall exactly is the first figure? 10 inches? 10.5? And is second suit same height?

Wonder if it would work for 1:6 as a female character if the head was swapped out. Might pick one up if so
The second release is taller by 🤏🏻 a little bit. The first release does have drop down hips and if you use one of the newer heads you could easily make them the same height.

As for using it as a 1/6 female….it’s probably too small, well maybe not for Darby because she was really short. As to the actual measurements I’ll have to wait until I can find my tape measure. Tried using my iPhone app and it was borderline hilarious and useless. I did snap a quick pic of the HT Buzz next to Gong Buzz for an actual height comparison for you though.
Take care, Jase
IMG_1109.jpeg

The second release is taller by 🤏🏻 a little bit. The first release does have drop down hips and if you use one of the newer heads you could easily make them the same height.

As for using it as a 1/6 female….it’s probably too small, well maybe not for Darby because she was really short. As to the actual measurements I’ll have to wait until I can find my tape measure. Tried using my iPhone app and it was borderline hilarious and useless. I did snap a quick pic of the HT Buzz next to Gong Buzz for an actual height comparison for you though.
Take care, Jase View attachment 697932
Thanks so much for the info. Does look eay too small. I was hoping it was slightly overscaled for 1:8 but it seems not. If it was 1:7 it could work. Ah well. It looks like an amazing figure but nowhere for it to fit my collection so HT Buzz only for now. I did see that Japan got their own Buzz and Zurg figures that should be 1:6 ish and are better than Mattels versions so might get them at some point

Thank you partner. I honestly love anything Toy Story and Buzz.

That XL-15 is the BanDai Spirits one. It was like over $100 when it first came out. Recently saw it on Amazon for $38 about 2 months ago on a lightening deal with 80% claimed at the time so I threw caution to the wind and snagged it. AND… It’s so much better than I imagined. Lot of diecast. Good weight and the detail is incredible and paint is flawless and tight. Also comes with 2 little Buzz(s) one standing and one that fits in the cockpit and you get a little Zurg as well. Has landing gear if you don’t want to use the flight stand too. They are still on Amazon for about $52-55 and are well worth it at that price….actually it probably is honestly worth the original msrp.

Here’s a link to it.
https://a.co/d/1GKP9Qt
Thanks for the info man, really appreciate it. Im in the UK so not near that price here unfortunately but hobby japan do have it for a decent price just never ordered through them before but might check it out

Thanks for the info man, really appreciate it. Im in the UK so not near that price here unfortunately but hobby japan do have it for a decent price just never ordered through them before but might check it out
You could also try Amazon Japan - try searching shop Amazon Japan in English. They have them with shipping for about 11,000 Yen - which I’m not sure of the exchange rate for you. But in the US that under $72 shipped. I shop Amazon different countries all the time and never had an issue. Shipping isn’t always that bad either. Will Amazon USA ship to the UK? Also Hobby Japan is a legit seller/Store I’ve bought from them many times in the past. Best of luck in your search. If I can help let me know.
Cheers,
Jase

Got him today! Best Buzz sculpt imo. He looks so great and beautiful, basically flawless! While I got hot toys version while ago which is considered as an ultimate version I still prefer this one. His face has so much personality, just perfect! Thank you Kit!
IMG_1700.jpeg

Back