1/6th VS. Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its almost crazy to say..but with the skyrocketing prices of the 1/6..i think I might be only be able to afford PF's..which is odd to say

For many reasons listed by others, I think I prefer to collect 1/6th too. I'm just a bit put off by their ever rising prices. There are 3 great PF figures coming out soon too, Emperor, Stormtrooper, and Carbonite Han. And for what you get and how much they cost compared to 1/6th they seem like a downright steal. 1/6th carbo han was $200, if they were to re-release it, I'm sure it would be $250+ now. The PF Han is so much better, with all those cool light up features for just $300, what kind of mad world is this. I've got Jabba and throne, and I just feel like the PF would look odd sitting next to it, so I think I'll suck it up and stay 1/6th, but I'm just so tempted to jump ship.

Easy answer is collect the peaces that u think are cool! I have a ton of 1/6 and only one pf (dooku) but i plan on get a few more pf's like talon and ventress. My collection consist of everything i think is cool with is basically everything lol. 1:1 busts 1/6 , pf's gg master replica and efx ect...

To the OP,

1) 1/6 scale is plastic toys that will not last, it's not a true collector's item,you buy them to play around in funny poses, that's it. PFs are the ones for serious collection. (although with all the absolute crap paint job PFs that's been coming out lately from SS, you still need to pick carefully).

2) As you mentioned the price of the 1/6 scale has went up dramatically, it's insane to be paying $150+ for a 1/6 plastic figure when you can buy so much better collector statues at just a bit more. For example the $230 ex leia vs jabba regret statue is absolutely gorgeous and very intricate, a steal at that price, non-ex can be had for even less on ebay. Then you look at the $175 boba fett plastic figure with a 2000 ES ex that just has a different base, are those guys kidding?

3) Almost every single 1/6 scale figure has dropped significantly or barely stayed same in term of price on the secondary market. Exceptions are few and far between - vader, stormtrooper, yoda ex. But keep in mind those were sold for much cheaper back then. If the new greed-based SS charged today's price it will easily be $160 for stormtrooper.

In short, drop 1/6 scale and focus on statues (PF, polystone, comq etc..). Unless you just want to play with them and not a collector.

I collect all lines and sizes as long as they are Imperials. I like the 1:6 poseability and the cool details on larger scale like 1:4 or 1:2. But my favorite will always remain 1:1, that can't be beat by any scaled statue or figure - so yeah scales matter.

Though even if I like 1:1 or other big items I couldn't collect everything is that scale due to lack of space. To have everything in 1:4 or 1:1 etc. I would need a warehouse. So thus I collect what I like, in all scales that exist.

Value as a collector is another thing, for some a 1:6 figure they like is more valuable than any 1:4 or larger collectible. Personally I never see these collectibles as investment. I collect for fun, to enjoy not to calculate the price for the resale.

To the OP,

1) 1/6 scale is plastic toys that will not last, it's not a true collector's item,you buy them to play around in funny poses, that's it. PFs are the ones for serious collection. (although with all the absolute crap paint job PFs that's been coming out lately from SS, you still need to pick carefully).

2) As you mentioned the price of the 1/6 scale has went up dramatically, it's insane to be paying $150+ for a 1/6 plastic figure when you can buy so much better collector statues at just a bit more. For example the $230 ex leia vs jabba regret statue is absolutely gorgeous and very intricate, a steal at that price, non-ex can be had for even less on ebay. Then you look at the $175 boba fett plastic figure with a 2000 ES ex that just has a different base, are those guys kidding?

3) Almost every single 1/6 scale figure has dropped significantly or barely stayed same in term of price on the secondary market. Exceptions are few and far between - vader, stormtrooper, yoda ex. But keep in mind those were sold for much cheaper back then. If the new greed-based SS charged today's price it will easily be $160 for stormtrooper.

In short, drop 1/6 scale and focus on statues (PF, polystone, comq etc..). Unless you just want to play with them and not a collector.

Never thought I'd show up to defend 1/6th collectors since some weren't very pleasant to me, but I have to say that 1/6th or PF is considered a collectible. There are MANY 1/6th collectors who have them side by side in protective casing and the poses are not 6 year old boy poses, they are realistic poses that enhance the display. I like both, to be honest, and as a former PF only collector, I am running out of room. But in no way are 1/6th not considered collectibles.

Honestly collect what you want. ____ what anybody else says. If it catches your eye, regardless of scale, company, etc., buy it and enjoy it. For Star Wars, I collect everything from Hasbro toys through prop replicas and nobody's ever ____-talked my collection in person. :huh

Most collect both while some feel elite because they collect only one kind mainly.

1/6th you have to have 100 of so people notice them ;) 1/4th's people notice and don't accuse you of playing with dolls. ;) Just joking 1/6th fans. ;)

Nice to see you were describing yourself. :pfft:

l like PFs over1/6. 1/6 get loose over time and are just too small. PFs a huge and full of awesomeness. When friends come over they never liked my 1/6 stuff, they would be like "why do you collect toys", but then they would see my PFs and be like "damn those things are kick ass". l guess 1/6 are toys and PF are statues.

But as you stated, you hang out with drunk rednecks. Who gives a ____ what they, or anybody else think? If you're looking to drunk rednecks or other people for approval over what you collect, you have serious insecurity issues.

To the OP,

If you're collecting for investment, this hobby really isn't the best to be in. Time and again, both Vader and Obi PFs can be had for BELOW retail. Pretty much the same with other PFs as well. Ebay's full of beautiful dreamers expecting to get retail for premium format figures.

The exception to this rule is the exclusives. But you would've pointed this out if you had a clue what you were talking about because beit 1/6 or 1/4, the exclusives tend to hold more value.

Nam, it's ok you play with dollies. You're dollies are the best and have weapons to kick the other more girly dollies asses. ;)

Price is still a factor. There are exceptions, no doubt, but PF is still generally twice the cost if not more.

Comparing the prices of Hot Toys 1/6 to Sideshow 1/4, though, is a bit misleading. Let's wait and see what Hot Toys 1/4 costs, then we can really talk!

Shipping price also has to be taken into consideration. Maybe not so much for domestic, but it already costs me $20-25 to get a single Sideshow 1/6 figure (GODS I wish they'd use USPS...). The extra it'd cost to ship 1/4 stuff adds up to quite a bit.

Size is a big factor too. No way I can display 1/4 as well, though of course that depends on what you like. I own a house, too - not a huge house by any means, more of a starter home, I guess - but not a small one either. It'd be even worse for people in apartments or condos.

I'm an Aliens/Predator/Terminator fan, but only to the extent that I'm happy with the Hot Toys Big Chap, Pred/Dutch, and T1/T2 Arnies. I suppose, hypothetically, I could "upgrade" to 1/4 without too many problems, if I so desired.

However, as a GI Joe fan primarily, that'd be hard to do - there are TONS of GI Joe characters.

I don't know, I guess it really comes down to the fact that I like to collect action figures. I'm not opposed to the odd statue, but only maybe 1-3 pieces at most.

I would have a hard time choosing between one or the other if I made more money. As it is, most of my collecting is 1:6 because I could never be content with only a handful of pieces to represent the licenses I love most. Still, premium format when done well is a great medium, and there are definitely characters I'd not only prefer to have in 1:4 scale multimedia, but would also exert the extra effort to afford them.

I collect 1/6, personally I think it's a nice size to collect. I've got about 60 figures now but there's no way I could display 60 figures in 1/4 scale but I do buy the odd 1/4 scale figure of a character I love here & there, like I own the ROTLA Indy & Gandalf PF's & the Enterbay Bruce Lee as stand alone pieces to represent them 3 films. The price of 1/6 figures is getting a little worrying but now Hot Toys & Enterbay are making 1/4 figure's, I can see SS raising there prices in that scale to eventually, like what they did with there recent 1/6 SW figures :(

Well I started this hobby with 1/4 and then saw how much room they take up. After just 5 (with 2 on the way) I am already trying to find room. 1/6th are a lot easier to display and collect. BUT, if HT and SSC's keeps going up in price to not much cheaper than PF...I can't justify that. Size does matter...haha...when you are shelling out that kind of cash.

well, after i purchase my first statue,

i was like... "why the heck im collecting hottoys... ???"
statue/PF in my case wins hands down.. (money reason aside)

i then sold all my hottoys, and start collecting PF and never look back.. :)

But as you stated, you hang out with drunk rednecks. Who gives a ____ what they, or anybody else think? If you're looking to drunk rednecks or other people for approval over what you collect, you have serious insecurity issues.

I only have that one redneck friend, trust me one of those is enough. He actually has not seen my collection, so I'm not sure what he would say, he knows l collect though. Anyway l could care less what anyone thinks, l like collecting end of story, but l do agree with some of my friends, 1/6 are more like toys and PFs aren't. I still prefer PFs over 1/6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back