1/6th Scale Sideshow Tauntaun

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S Hoth figures are solid but for whatever reason not pulled trigger on Luke thus no Taun Taun either.

Just saying, but... I'd trade any HT SW release other than maybe Chewbacca for either of SS's Hoth releases (and yes, I have them in hand to compare/comment). Two of the best SW releases of 2015 without question.

Just saying, but... I'd trade any HT SW release other than maybe Chewbacca for either of SS's Hoth releases (and yes, I have them in hand to compare/comment). Two of the best SW releases of 2015 without question.

I had Hoth Luke...kept Han and I have all HT SW to date myself. Only reason I prefer HT is the paint apps and tailoring otherwise, I agree SS gave us a solid effort.

That's the thing, I can't place extra value on a paint job when it's applied on a bad sculpt, and so far HT hasn't shipped a single half-decent SW sculpt (Leia looks like it might be the first). As far as tailoring, there's nothing on ANH Han or Luke that's any better than the Hoth releases. Lastly, the icing on the cake is that Hoth scenes are my favorite of the entire OT trilogy.

wut?

That's the thing, I can't place extra value on a paint job when it's applied on a bad sculpt, and so far HT hasn't shipped a single half-decent SW sculpt (Leia looks like it might be the first). As far as tailoring, there's nothing on ANH Han or Luke that's any better than the Hoth releases. Lastly, the icing on the cake is that Hoth scenes are my favorite of the entire OT trilogy.

There it is. I have both hoth figures and they are crap in my opinion. The soft rubber on the hats, hands arm banding and boots are just bad and look hasbro cheap. The boots are flimsy and both of the bodies suck compared to a true type for proportions. My Luke is taller than Han stock which was a miss. The pants on both of mine are threading out from poor stitching.

Both head sculpts look like tropical Han and Luke from Team America, they are terrible. The eye system was a major fail and just like Nathan Drake these two look like they melted in the moulds. Luke's vest is too small with the body and Han includes a ****** pirate shirt and vest that bulks him out. His belt is flimsy with non-stick velcro clasps and the leg holster strap is three times too big for the figure and droops.

Under no framing of a discussion could these two hold a candle to anything HT has pumped out for the OT figures right now. Sorry just do not see it and I love, love,love the Hoth scenes as well. Now this tauntaun, the Probe Droid, ham handed snowtroopers and e-web cannon are a different story. Great pieces.

The only redeeming pieces of the Hoth Han is the coat, blaster and the goggles. The rest is ****. For Luke, although it is the wrong color the vest is ok on a body swap, his goggles and blaster is ok. I guess if you want to throw in the scarves they are salvageable, while not part of the figure the life form scanner and reused binocs are good accessories.

06488f1bdc575b36a081fd224707db0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hands arm banding and boots are just bad and look hasbro cheap.

Had to stop right there. I've already told you in another thread not to bother replying to me with ridiculous statements that only show you have literally no idea what you're talking about. There's opinion and then there's just BS.

I suggest maybe you pick up something from Hasbro some day and something from Hot Toys while you're at it. No one is going to take you seriously with that kind of statement.

Now, to be fair, I've swapped the bodies on both figures to other bodies (nameless ones). For comparison, I've changed the boots, body and head on my HT Han and will change at the very least the head on Luke, maybe also the body. The cut and sew is no better on these than on the Hoth figures, for simple outfits they could be better in fact.

WRT the Snow Trooper you mentioned, the gloves are well sized for winter gloves fitting hand appropriately sized for that figure. The boots however are too small - and incidentally they're made in a similar fashion to the Echo Base rebel boots out of multiple pieces of rubber-like plastic. Their size is my only significant complaint about that figure.

Last edited:
Had to stop right there. I've already told you in another thread not to bother replying to me with ridiculous statements that only show you have literally no idea what you're talking about. There's opinion and then there's just BS.

I suggest maybe you pick up something from Hasbro some day and something from Hot Toys while you're at it. No one is going to take you seriously with that kind of statement.

Now, to be fair, I've swapped the bodies on both figures to other bodies (nameless ones). For comparison, I've changed the boots, body and head on my HT Han and will change at the very least the head on Luke, maybe also the body. The cut and sew is no better on these than on the Hoth figures, for simple outfits they could be better in fact.

WRT the Snow Trooper you mentioned, the gloves are well sized for winter gloves fitting hand appropriately sized for that figure. The boots however are too small - and incidentally they're made in a similar fashion to the Echo Base rebel boots out of multiple pieces of rubber-like plastic. Their size is my only significant complaint about that figure.

So take the DX07 Boot and line that up against the Hoth figure boots and you will see a drastic difference. The feel, texture and size of the arm bands and boots leave much to be desired and they are hasbro ish. The hands are generic sculpted IMO and lack detail.

I have over 160 Hot toys so I know what I am talking about and I collected the Hasbro stuff back in the day and can definitely tell a distinct difference. My comment still stands that those Hoth pieces are utter crap because of all the fixing you have to invest to make them presentable on the shelf.

It is difficult to argue sculpts. For me there's not one great harrison ford out there. All of these custom indiana jones heads look bad to me and I do not see him in any of them. I'm sure whatever Han you are getting will not be good either cause the paint apps is going to kill whatever good or great sculpt you think you are getting. Most custom work looks like caked on paint to me. There are exceptions like everything and those good ones are going to cost $$$ which should be held out of this discussion as it is not a viable option for most collectors. That's my opinion. Good luck finding a better sculpted Luke painted up as well over the farmboy. HT might not have the best sculpts but their paint will put their heads over any other production sculpts and most painted figures out there particularly the human likeness.

If you think that either of the Hoth sculpts are better than HT you are deliberately trying to be controversial. If you asked 10 people on the street that didn't know anything about these figures and show them Sideshow sculpts and the HT sculpts 10/10 would say the HT looks better. If you want to be different that's fine, if you like them great. Just remember you are in the small minority that think that way about those heads.

Dropping these here....

25qw5xu.png

Sideshow-Collectibles-Hoth-Han-Solo-Head-Sculpt-Comparison.jpg

Sideshow-Collectibles-Hoth-Luke-Skywalker-Head-Scupt-Comparison.jpg

So take the DX07 Boot and line that up against the Hoth figure boots

They're completely different in the movie (which I'm betting you didn't know or notice). The ones Bespin Luke might be "nice" because they have some fabric, but they're totally wrong for Hoth. HT often uses plastic or soft plastic for footwear as well, different products, different directions. You may not like the rubber-like material, but the execution is excellent. Every "mod" I've seen of the Bespin boots doesn't look the part and the stock boots do. You can go ahead and pick up something from Hasbro right now if you'd like - I still have plenty on display to compare and to note you don't know what you're talking about.

My comment still stands that those Hoth pieces are utter crap because of all the fixing you have to invest to make them presentable on the shelf.

So that makes every HT release utter crap? Because there hasn't ever been one that doesn't need something. Seriously, give it a rest.

If you think that either of the Hoth sculpts are better than HT you are deliberately trying to be controversial.

No, that's comparing any of this stuff to Hasbro. I may be in the small minority of people who know WTF they're talking about.

They're completely different in the movie (which I'm betting you didn't know or notice). The ones Bespin Luke might be "nice" because they have some fabric, but they're totally wrong for Hoth. HT often uses plastic or soft plastic for footwear as well, different products, different directions. You may not like the rubber-like material, but the execution is excellent. Every "mod" I've seen of the Bespin boots doesn't look the part and the stock boots do. You can go ahead and pick up something from Hasbro right now if you'd like - I still have plenty on display to compare and to note you don't know what you're talking about.

So that makes every HT release utter crap? Because there hasn't ever been one that doesn't need something. Seriously, give it a rest.

No, that's comparing any of this stuff to Hasbro. I may be in the small minority of people who know WTF they're talking about.

More like a small minority of having a higher opinion of themselves. So you are taking a dump on Hasbro with me comparing them, yet you proudly display on your shelf. Ok makes perfect sense.

That's the great part about internet debate. No winners only whinners.

I really hope Hot Toys takes a stab at a Hoth Han. I have the Tauntaun which I think is fantastic but the SS Hoth Han I did not like. Star Lord is keeping my Tauntaun company for the time being.

I hope they do Hoth figures as well, although if they do happen, it probably won't be anytime soon.

Back