1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I don't like the un helmeted head sculpt, hair looks bad, but I will only display him riding the tauntaun anyway. I just asked the wife $550 for Luke on tauntaun and see said stop being a spoiled brat :lol

In my eyes sideshow really drop the ball. The hatless sculpt looks nothing like Skywalker. Also I don't care for all the plastic gloves the wanna be articulated fingers, the plastic boots they look wayover size and not slim fit like they should.

The prices sideshows going to be asking I may as well buy another hot toys and customize that. At least that way I know that it's going to be a heck of a lot more accurate than what I'm seeing these photos.

Really is such a shame sideshow could've really hit this one out of the park to go with The Taun Taun.

Now I fear what Han Solo will really end up looking like.

The hands do seem pretty huge. I guess that's the trade off when you sculpt hands for two characters of different sizes. The HT figure had smaller than average hands and body.

I don't get anyone who says anything different today than they said this past summer when these figures were first shown. Nothing has changed yet except we now know price.

And about price, I was dead-on for the Taun Taun, but overshot Luke and Han by $50 each on my first hypothesis, being closer with my revision of $200-250, and within the ballpark when I sad the set of all three would be at least $750 but under $900. I really wish I had been really wrong and these guys were $150 with Tauntaun under $300. Time to start planning...

The prices sideshows going to be asking I may as well buy another hot toys and customize that. At least that way I know that it's going to be a heck of a lot more accurate than what I'm seeing these photos.

If you can make a custom Luke that's even 75% as nice as what Sideshow is making for the same price, you should start selling them. But I'd be surprised if anyone can pull off 50% as good for $300. 100% as good for $500-1000 custom.

The hands don't look oversized to me, once you get past the photo's angle. Put your hand up to your face. Now go put on a large pair of ski gloves and do the same thing - in front of a mirror.

This figure proves onece again how hard Hamill's face and expression are to be rendered. Luke is there but a bit off on certain angles.
Even though i wish the headgear is removable to give more display options, i have the feeling it won't and all three headsculps won't have swapable parts.

Last edited:
Honestly, having drawn, painted and sculpted, no one's face is any harder to do than anyone else. An artist saying such a thing is blowing smoke. Everyone's likeness is extremely difficult to capture in any static medium, and impossible to duplicate with an effect that will convince 100% of viewers of 100% accuracy even if it's a 3D computerized scan of every micrometer of the person's actual face.

Things just look different when they're frozen, even if they're accurate. And someone's face never looks 100% the same in two different moments over their entire lives.

Last edited:
Honestly, having drawn, painted and sculpted, no one's face is any harder to do than anyone else. An artist saying such a thing is blowing smoke. Everyone's likeness is extremely difficult to capture in any static medium, and impossible to duplicate with an effect that will convince 100% of viewers of 100% accuracy even if it's a 3D computerized scan of every micrometer of the person's actual face.

Things just look different when they're frozen, even if they're accurate. And someone's face never looks 100% the same in two different moments over their entire lives.

Speaking of Frozen, anyone else wonder if that's exactly the problem? In my memory I specifically recall how Marks face had different looks in ESB. Obviously due to the crash and his face was still recovering and maybe even the snow was having an effect? The thing is, he does look similar to the screen shots of this scene, or close enough. He certainly doesn't look like Bespin Luke, or Farmer Luke, but he never did in the movie either.

If you can make a custom Luke that's even 75% as nice as what Sideshow is making for the same price, you should start selling them. But I'd be surprised if anyone can pull off 50% as good for $300. 100% as good for $500-1000 custom.

The hands don't look oversized to me, once you get past the photo's angle. Put your hand up to your face. Now go put on a large pair of ski gloves and do the same thing - in front of a mirror.

I am definitely willing to put $200 plus into a custom than I would be this piece for sure. Anyone who likes it more power to them this is just my personal opinion.

luuuke_zpse1e4774b.jpg

Looking at this picture I get a sudden urge to sweep the leg..

I guess the nose looks a little funny??

I'm liking the sculpts a lot it's still the prototype so things could be tweaked down the road before we even get it. I can't wait to order and I know I still need to get the Hot Toys Bespin Luke set so once I get this in I can compare both. Taun Taun is a debate for me at the moment will probably wait until price goes down.

looks like the best Sideshow Luke to me. I don't own the HT Luke so I can't speak to that. Still on the fence....I quit 1/6 Brokeback style but they keep pulling me back in, Godfather style.

I am definitely willing to put $200 plus into a custom than I would be this piece for sure.

I don't have a problem with that, in fact I think it's GREAT and I love checking out custom threads, it's one of the pleasures of visiting this forum.

However, I don't think it's possible to put together a figure at this level for $200. You'd have to make every stitch yourself and do all the sculpting and painting yourself - and not count any of your time, to even get close to completing it for $200 or less.

hi i new to sideshow freak and need alittle help
i wish to look to buy a luke skywalker xwing iuit i be happy with a hasbro one where should i look please any advise thxz

Back