1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 cents on the bodies: the pro has a wider range of articulations and can achieve a lot of poses (a correct dive pike position, for example) white TT cannot, but the odd proportions ruin everything, IMHO. So, please, SSC...switch to TT.

How the hell are people inserting the radio antenna?!? I've already bent one trying so lucky they gave a spare. But it doesn't seem to fit no matter which direction I try to insert!

Video review uploading now, but here is my quick summary!

The Good:
- Two regular head sculpts are great, and have an extremely good likeness to Mark Hamill, only let down by a flat paint app. But it is a FAR better likeness than DX07.
- Overall material and design of the outfit - metal clasps finally!!!
- Articulation is very nice and swapping out the hands is hassle free.
- Snow base is a nice touch.

The Bad:
- Exclusive head sculpt is pretty terrible on all fronts.
- That speckling effect on the lightsaber is cheap and just makes it look off
- Paint app on lightsaber hilt and pistol still not as good as HT.
- The vest is the wrong colour and is too small.
- Badge pocket on vest is too small making the rank badge stick out.
- The body scale may be too large.

Overall:
I think the figure overall is very good. If Sideshow had just added that HT paint app on the facial skin texture, and made the vest fit properly and with the right colour, this would be very close to a definitive figure. I say 7/10.

The neck is probably a little too long, and the Sideshow boots, even without feet, are too tight on the calves to go far enough up the leg to lose some overall height.

16728167287_b7b3ff1af1_o.jpg

It's a very long neck peg, I think it was intended to work more with the helmeted head and to compensate for the extra material of the outfit. But with the normal head it looks off, but pro bodies accept HT neck pieces so I'd just swap in one of those and call it a day. That should lower the height just a bit.

I've changed him again since!

I put him back on a HT Slim:

16935538441_ec723790c8_o.jpg

16314122664_e87b0ee3b7_o.jpg

He's now 11.75".

I did like the Pro 1.1 though, as the proportions looked better with that Jedi outfit.

I have a spare HT style neck post, but the 1.1 neck post feels like it's welded in!

The fit on the Pro necks is very tight... just heat up water in a cup and let the top of the torso soak for a minute. That will warm up the neck plug and it will pop right out of the body. I think the diameter of the ball joint inside the body is just a hair larger than a HT, so it makes for a very tight fit.

But I also prefer the proportions of the Pro 1.0 with the Jedi Luke outfit. I had him on the DX07 body at first, but he just looked too long and lean, the slightly shorter and stockier build works better IMO.

Anyone have any pics of the hoth luke u hatted head on a SS Bespin Luke? Would really appreciate seeing how this looks together.

DX07 w/Hoth Head
dc020e18-137c-4a1e-9574-da937cdefd25_zpsccvigkex.jpg

Wow, G.B., this may be the best the unhelmeted Hoth headsculpt has looked thus far, looking more like Mark Hamill than the regular DX07 sculpt. :clap

I may even try modifying the sculpt like you did if it means getting similar results. Thanks for sharing!​

Putting the Sideshow Luke Jedi outfit on the 1.1 with the unhatted Hoth head makes him just over 12" to the top of his hair.

The neck is probably a little too long, and the Sideshow boots, even without feet, are too tight on the calves to go far enough up the leg to lose some overall height.

16728167287_b7b3ff1af1_o.jpg

I've changed him again since!

I put him back on a HT Slim:

16935538441_ec723790c8_o.jpg

I already broke mine ! :slap

By the way, this is how my Luke (rotj ver.) looks now thanks to the extra head :)

View attachment 175090

These unhatted heads are looking really good in these pics.

No problem!

I can see a lot of Luke in the Sideshow hatted sculpt. There's still a lot of the youthful innocence he had in the previous film.

While the unhatted sculpt appears to be the same, the loss of the hat and addition of hair seems to change it to a more serious tone, which works better (I think) with the Jedi outfit.

The battle damaged DX07 is the more impressive of the two Hot Toys sculpts. It's the antithesis of the SS Hoth Luke as it captures the loss of innocence!

The non-damaged DX07 has a worried expression, but, while typing this, I managed to lose the worry by moving the eyes upwards and to the side. I don't know why I didn't think of it before because it's a real transformation. It makes him look angry or annoyed instead.

Good point on the new sculpt. As well as being a little lacking in likeness, the DX Luke non-BD also lacks the innocence of ANH/ESB Luke.

Video review uploading now, but here is my quick summary!

The Good:
- Two regular head sculpts are great, and have an extremely good likeness to Mark Hamill, only let down by a flat paint app. But it is a FAR better likeness than DX07.

The Bad:

Great to hear on the heads!

The BD I guess is meant to be seen upside down - then the likeness kicks in!

Wow! I had a lot of posts to catch up on. Got mine today. Overall still not sure I'm keeping it. There are a lot of mods I want to do to make it look good but if I start don't be them I won't be reselling it. Here are a few pics compared to my other figs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427404210.309639.jpg
He actually stands 11 3/4 inches tall. Still a bit too tall for Luke. An entire 1/4 inch too tall.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427404271.151319.jpg
HT Bespin Luke is 11 5/8 inches tall. Just 1/8 inch too tall as compared to Hamils real height of 5'7".
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427404341.602368.jpg
My custom is the same height as the HT.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427404369.967178.jpg
My Jedi Luke custom is the right height. 11 1/2 inches tall.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427404413.455895.jpg
There are things I like about this release and things I don't. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but the mods up here have been superb.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427404479.202921.jpg

Wow, G.B., this may be the best the unhelmeted Hoth headsculpt has looked thus far, looking more like Mark Hamill than the regular DX07 sculpt. :clap

I may even try modifying the sculpt like you did if it means getting similar results. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, it's a pain to get the head apart... but worth it in the end.

My video review is now up on the Kool Kollectibles YouTube channel! :)

Click through to check it out, but here is my quick summary!

The Good:
- Overall material and design of the outfit - metal clasps finally!!!
- Articulation is very nice and swapping out the hands is hassle free.
- Snow base is a nice touch.

The Bad:
- That speckling effect on the lightsaber is cheap and just makes it look off
- Paint app on lightsaber hilt and pistol still not as good as HT.
- The vest is the wrong colour and is too small.
- Badge pocket on vest is too small making the rank badge stick out.
- The body scale may be too large.

Overall:
I think the figure overall is very good. If Sideshow had just added that HT paint app on the facial skin texture, and made the vest fit properly and with the right colour, this would be very close to a definitive figure. I say 7/10.

Back