1/6th Figure Costs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting point you raise there Carl.

So you think the prices are being pushed to a point where on a normal slope, they'd be in say 5 years, but done now so that for the next 5 years, in theory, the prices will flatline and remain at the point they are at.

That is my true theory/guess, yes. And whether or not it's the case will also help determine whether they're really "gouging" or not.

if i remember correctly SS prices were pretty stable untill somebody posted a poll on here asking how much we would pay for SS figures. then the price went up overnight. smells like a flouride laced conspiracy fiasco if you ask me.

You make some good points some of which I agree with but then you totally shot yourself in the foot by stating that the costs of these non-essentials have no direct result from these areas. Showing you don't even get your own point and show a total lack of understanding.

:BUZZ: Wrong. I never said there was no direct correlation. Of course there is. What I'm saying is that it's not 1:1. Because it isn't.

I think my last post should put to rest any claims of a "conspiracy theory" on my part. I'm simply pointing out that there is much more to the prices on these TOYS being raised than simply the economy and oil prices. That's a straw man argument.

You can think I'm a financial dummy of you wish. But I know better.

BTW, raise your hand if you're a professional Project/Product Manager and have no consumer debt other than a home mortgage? :wave

:peace

I'm not saying the economy is the SOLE reason just the majority of the reason.

I'm not saying you don't know how to manage your finances but as to how things work in the world economy that may be another matter. I don't care what your job title is. Bush is the President of the US but if you look at things he hasn't done a bang up job.

if i remember correctly SS prices were pretty stable untill somebody posted a poll on here asking how much we would pay for SS figures. then the price went up overnight. smells like a flouride laced conspiracy fiasco if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure that poll followed the first sign of prices rising, I don't think anything came up before hand except stuff like how much would you pay for the really out there figures like Vader, Sauron, Chewbacca, that by nature of size and complicity would be higher priced than a basic figure.

Ok, lets see if it works in reverse...

I am only willing to pay $40 for any Sideshow 12" figure. :)

Article on Mattel

Oil is a key raw material in many toy products, and record crude prices are driving up Mattel's production costs. Rising inflation in China, where much of Mattel's inventory is produced, also hurt, analysts said.

The company plans to hike prices in June.

I'm not saying its a 1:1 either.

Then what the hell are we arguing about then? :lol

That's been my whole point all along... we're seeing the costs of these figures go up 10-20% (or more) and people are naturally and rightfully concerned and upset. But the answer is neither "Well, the dollar sucks and gas prices are high" nor "They're gouging us!!". The truth is somewhere in the middle and much more complicated. That's ALL I've been trying to say.

Then what the hell are we arguing about then? :lol

That's been my whole point all along... we're seeing the costs of these figures go up 10-20% (or more) and people are naturally and rightfully concerned and upset. But the answer is neither "Well, the dollar sucks and gas prices are high" nor "They're gouging us!!". The truth is somewhere in the middle and much more complicated. That's ALL I've been trying to say.

I agree its more to the middle but I do personally believe that the economy is a big factor. Then like you said SS, Medicom, HT, Etc are having to adjust things to make up for the costs they haven't been passing on. Correcting the issues of the past.

No problem. Debates are great cause they cause me to go out and find even more info than what I've already seen in the past. Even if it crushes or supports my POV.

Another thing that surely impacts sideshow is the fact that collectibles are luxuries and the first thing that gets hit in any economy is the luxury items.
Add to that the fact they are a small company that doesn't have tons of capital or 'fat' to sustain it through lean times. When things they have produced don't sell that cost is absorbed into what DOES sell.

Note that article is from 2006 - the Chinese market has risen in a much steeper curve in the last 2 years than it had previous to the article being written.
Not to mention the severe increase in the price of oil since then.

Are prices going up due to oil costs and inflation factors? Sure. But in a society where prices of necessities (food) go up and near necessities (gas) go up, then prices of non necessities (toys) would need to come down in order to compete. That is unless the non necessities cater to "the few" that can afford them rather than "the normal" consumer.

Sideshow has something called price integrity to consider because they cater to limited edition collectors more than companies like Hasbro. The fewer SSC make the higher they can charge and as long as there are a couple thousand rich collectors (or 20 something singles with expendible income living with mom and dad) then they can up the prices.

However, companies trying to appeal to a much broader marker and producing 100,000s of items, they will need to lower prices to compete.

I predict that if the economy continues its trend that SSC, Medicom, and HT prices will continue to increase, but edition runs will go down.

Last edited:
Back