1/6 Star Ace - 300 / 300: Rise of an Empire

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Eva Green sculpt is a complete miss on every level. Wow.

This company started strong with the early Harry Potter figures, but have declined, IMO.

That Eva Green sculpt is a complete miss on every level. Wow.

This company started strong with the early Harry Potter figures, but have declined, IMO.

Have you seen the Katniss figure review? It's a horrid sculpt.

I don't like to dump on the artists, but with the flood of 1/6 scale figure companies these days, I get the sense that some companies are just saying, "eh, good enough." And, inevitably, what's released from those companies is good enough to get people to bite, but not really up to snuff for what's being charged.

I think some companies realize they can't charge as much as Hot Toys and collectors are okay with the figures we get in those circumstances, but others just ride Hot Toys' coattails (price-wise) without matching the quality. Star Ace has phoned-in a few figures--Mad-Eye Moody comes to mind. Threezero's Rick Grimes was remarkably mediocre after a lengthy period from preview to release. I guess we'll see what happens with Artemisia leading up to release. Hopefully something changes.

I hate dumping on them too, but I have to say there's a lot of disappointment in the 1/6 world outside of HT. I don't know all the logistics of the business but it's clear that it's not an easy game. I really don't believe other companies just say "eh, god enough". I do think they put in serious effort but for whatever reason no one can produce an equal product. IDK if it's resources or budget or what, but HT seems to consistently outshine 90% of the industry. They have been the leaders of the pack for quite some time, but now they've reached a level where they're in a league of their own.

It's not only their protos that are a cut above everyone else, but they've found a way to deliver a production piece extremely close to the proto (of course there's a misstep like ANH Luke every once in a blue). I read that the dude from PCS said they're pulling out of 1/6 because it's a dying industry... I think what that really meant was HT has made it impossible to compete.

The Fantastic Beasts guy looks cool, but Artemisia looks like something Phicen would make.
sdcc2017-diamond-39.jpg

Wow.... their leonidas was very good. However Eva looks horrible. That body and Elbow joints are not helping the case. Compare this to blitzway Hannibal.... that's how a figure shld look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a key issue right there. If these figures were $110.00 then one can overlook the discrepancies and at least have an optino to pick one up as a basis for a custom figure. But when priced equally or very close to a Hot Toys figure, that's when it starts becoming absurd.

Leonidas was good enough, not amazing, but a great figure to have if you missed the HT version.

I second Snake's remark, as Star-Ace's Leonidas figure is quite good; however, it is the only figure from any of their lines which I own. Also, the Christopher Lee as Dracula looked bad-ass but I haven't seen much regarding the release - Were folks disappointed in this?

leonidas is a really well done figure. i've had the hot toys version and honestly to me, there isn't much there that justifies the price with this being available. with a little adjusting of the helmet, this figure really shines!

LwDhsNL.jpg

Back