1/6 SSC Destro

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's fully around...it's just the angel of the pics
Excellent. I'm quite looking forward to this figure. It's not ideal, but it'll really go well with the rest of the Sideshow Cobra on the shelf.
Not sure why everyone thinks the line is at an end. Last year, Sideshow very specifically said that they were focusing on Cobra figures due to the "Year of the Snake" 2013. And even if people hate the design on this Destro (which I can respectfully understand), the overall quality of these figures just keeps going up.

Here are some unwrapped photos.
va9a3e4u.jpg
y
e5ugasuh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i knew the ex head was going to be the bees

The fact that the helmet isn't chrome plated is the most important thing making this figure to be lackluster.

I disagree (respectfully). CC's chrome faceplate is a real eye-catcher, and if Destro had a chrome head too, I feel like it would lessen the impact of that feature of Cobra Commander. It's the same reason that I'm not a fan of all the various Cobra ninjas. Part of what made Storm Shadow so cool when he was first launched in '84-ish is that he had a uniqueness. Too many ninjas lessens his impact. I'm babbling...

Destro's chromed head was one of the few gimmicks in GI Joe, it's something that made him special. I feel Sideshow should've recreated the chrome head for their version. It's understandable that they didn't do the color change for Zartan, but they've done chrome twice before and if the original figure with all the intricacy of his tiny head could be chromed, then so could Sideshow's much larger recreation.

But not a total loss, The exclusive head looks good with the paint job they went with. I'm more disappointed that they didn't give us his original suit.

I disagree (respectfully). CC's chrome faceplate is a real eye-catcher, and if Destro had a chrome head too, I feel like it would lessen the impact of that feature of Cobra Commander. It's the same reason that I'm not a fan of all the various Cobra ninjas. Part of what made Storm Shadow so cool when he was first launched in '84-ish is that he had a uniqueness. Too many ninjas lessens his impact. I'm babbling...

In 84, CC had a painted face shield. It was painted because they didn't want the cost of making a two piece helmet. They were BOTH supposed to look metallic.

Destro got chromed because his head was one piece, and so was cheap enough to do, and really made him stand out. His outfit kind of lacked any other real impact. His beryllium steel face mask set his outfit off.

Although the Ninjas aren't related, I think they are legitimate, and as long as only Storm Shadow is white, I see no confusion. Speaking of Ninjas, I think an urban camo ninja would be nice, as well as a dark blue. I realize that Firefly had urban camo, but many characters are in black, and blue, so I don't see a real conflict.

The only member of the Cobra high command that has other characters sharing their color scheme is Cobra Commander. That's because they're his troops and he's the commander. Otherwise, they are all unique, as they should be.

So no pictures of Destro yet? Is his neck as long in pics as it appears? Is his skull as narrow as it seems? Why does he have an olive drab attache?

Getting mine Monday. Going to be happy to add him to my Cobra Throne Room set-up. The EX head looks pretty good so far--I had my doubts but that may be the one I use for him. Hopefully some in-hand pics will pop up in the next couple days to give me a better idea of what to expect. I know some people don't agree with SS's choices for the figure but every time one of these is released they look much better than they did in the promo pics.

The only member of the Cobra high command that has other characters sharing their color scheme is Cobra Commander. That's because they're his troops and he's the commander. Otherwise, they are all unique, as they should be.

So no pictures of Destro yet? Is his neck as long in pics as it appears? Is his skull as narrow as it seems? Why does he have an olive drab attache?

Destro and the Baroness have almost all black outfits, as does the Star Viper, and the Cobra ninjas. The Crimson Guard and Wild Weasel both have predominantly red with black trim outfits. A.V.A.C. also has red and black with a lot of silver. Strato-Vipers and Cobra Eels both have black, gray and red outfits. Vipers and Tomax and Xamot both have predominantly red and blue. The color schemes are not all that unique.

Not only does SS Destro suck, Blackthorn is in the Joe section now and apparently was on the Hasbro design team when Cobra Commander and Destro masks were originally made.

6a00d83452cd1869e201539198016c970b-800wi.jpg

In 84, CC had a painted face shield. It was painted because they didn't want the cost of making a two piece helmet. They were BOTH supposed to look metallic.

Destro got chromed because his head was one piece, and so was cheap enough to do, and really made him stand out. His outfit kind of lacked any other real impact. His beryllium steel face mask set his outfit off.

Although the Ninjas aren't related, I think they are legitimate, and as long as only Storm Shadow is white, I see no confusion. Speaking of Ninjas, I think an urban camo ninja would be nice, as well as a dark blue. I realize that Firefly had urban camo, but many characters are in black, and blue, so I don't see a real conflict.

Yup, the original CC was a painted grey/silver face shield. and Destro was the chromed head, but that's exactly my point. Destro's chromed head set him apart. If several of the figures had significant chrome on their head/mask, it would have made him less interesting (in my opinion). Sideshow released CC v2 with the chrome face, so I'm ok with their Destro being metallic. To keep them both more interesting and unique.
Also, the other ninjas never caused any confusion. I just found them annoying. They created a cool character in Storm Shadow, there was no need for more ninjas. Part of the reason I never got into the comics, was that it seems (on the surface) like EVERYONE was at some point trained/related to the arashikage clan.
WAY off topic now...
All I'm really saying is that as a collector, I like the idea that every figure on my shelves is something unique in it's own way (with the exception of the Bonds). A chrome head could have been sick!!!! But at the same time, I think the lack of chrome adds a "meanness" to the figure...

Very impressed with Destro guys! Get one for your collection now!
There's so many options for displaying him, from the additional portrait & numerous accessories.
Here's some quick pics for now...enjoy!

IMG_8224.JPG
IMG_8225.JPG
IMG_8226.JPG

Thanks for the pics. I'm curious to see the tampoprint in the satellite case screen. There were none shown in the product images but the nerdbasterds review looked like they added it. Just hard to see it clearly.

Damn that looks good. I need to call and get them to charge my final flex pay today... And figure out where to find sleeves...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Back