1/6 Sideshow Snowtrooper 2012

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it wouldn't surprise me if Lucas was going for the KKK since he patterned the imperial officers after the Nazis.

Last edited:
I have never...and still do not...see KKK anywhere on those troops.

They have a vaguely familiar feeling about them, but to me, it is not KKK.

Oh, and despite how well done it is...I still do not want my troopers weathered/battle damaged out of the box. I would much rather have them clean.

Pacman ghosts.

KKK have pointy hats and long white robes, guys.:slap

Actually early Klan members wore all kinds of masks, many of which do loo like these. And it may not have been intentional, but like someone else mentioned Lucas made many references to Nazi's when it came to the empire (Stormtroopers, The look of the officers, base weapons were almost all WWII German-made).

So it's not too far fetched to imagine the Klan may have been an intentional reference on his part when it came to the Snowtroopers.

In no way do I think Lucas had the KKK in mind when he and McQuarrie created the Snowtrooper armour. There's a big difference from borrowing some ques from Hugo Boss designed officer suits or distinctive German helmets and deciding to emulate a bunch of backwater hicks that dress in bedsheets. He used the Nazis for lots of obvious and symbolic reasons that still resonate, not necessary just their racism. I'd bet my future life's earnings that the KKK never even entered his imagination when it came to the Snowtrooper design.

But do you know? I'm just speculating given the very similar design and look and his equating the Empire with Nazi Germany. I am in no way implying using either as a base is to honor or glorify; but more that it's easy to fear/dislike something if we are familiar with it.

At the very basest of levels, I'd argue that the image of the Klan is so strong that it was at least working on a subconscious level to influence the design.

I haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if this was brought up. The snowtrooper that was on the bridge of the AT-AT was a bit different from the others, he had a sidearm and different boots. I don't recall if you can see his sidearm in the film, obviously not his boots. But here are some film and production images. Wouldn't the Sidearm, holster and different boots be an awesome exclusive?
snowt_commander05.jpg
[/IMG]
veers3.jpg
[/IMG]
snowt_commander02.jpg
[/IMG]
snowt_commander03.jpg
[/IMG]

...I am in no way implying using either as a base is to honor or glorify; but more that it's easy to fear/dislike something if we are familiar with it.
Yep, totally understood and I didn't take it in that way whatsoever (honour/glorify).

galactiboy said:
At the very basest of levels, I'd argue that the image of the Klan is so strong that it was at least working on a subconscious level to influence the design.
Well, can't argue about subconscious influences, I just think Lucas used the Nazis as a touchstone in the story for lots of reasons that go beyond their racism. Using the KKK as a design influence would be vulgar in comparison, as there is no larger context to them beyond being cowardly racists. The troopers wore identical anonymous outfits because they're clones, not because they're cowards, like the Klan. I can see where the comparison's coming from (basically all-white head-to-toe garb), but I just don't see it occuring to Lucas. Now that I've bet my future life's earnings, though, he'll probably come out with a quote tomorrow validating your theory! :lol

I haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if this was brought up. The snowtrooper that was on the bridge of the AT-AT was a bit different from the others, he had a sidearm and different boots. I don't recall if you can see his sidearm in the film, obviously not his boots. But here are some film and production images. Wouldn't the Sidearm, holster and different boots be an awesome exclusive?
I think we'd need a whole new figure for the commander as in addition to the differences you noted, he has a hard face mask as opposed to soft, commander's insignia on his chest and his shoulder pads are reversed (I think) to the regular trooper. Definitely would pick-up a commander to go with one or two troopers, though. I'm curious, too, what they could use for an exclusive for the Snowtrooper. There really isn't a lot in the movie for them to work with.

Last edited:
I agree I don't think they had the KKK in mind.

And Darthrazz, I think Sideshow will release a whole new figure since the pictures you had are of the Commander, like Invictus pointed out.

Yep, I'd agree the commander (if it gets made) would be a separate release. Or maybe it would be packed in with the E-Web Cannon.

KKK? Seriously? I think your looking a little too hard. Simply because the trooper is all white? Camo, snow, white.

Let's not mention this again or GL will go back and make the snowtroopers rainbow colored.

Actually, to me, the design still has strong Nazi overtones. The design of the helmet and goggles seems to have been taken directly from troop designs of that era

Back