1/6 Sideshow Snowtrooper 2012

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to disagree on the clones (thankfully I don't collect them or I'd have more of a problem with it). My issue isn't with weathering per se. If they did it with the same amount of artfulness as Boba Fett or IG-88, it'd be fine.

Whu? How come (just wondering if he's got a new position or something)? Not that I know him well but it was always great to see his comments, like in the Vader thread shortly after the tease came out.

I will respectfully disagree... and black marks are consistent with how they appeared on screen. I don't know if you've seen any in-hand but the weathering is very well done IMO.

Nathan's mentioned a few times that he no longer works for Sideshow, but is now doing work for other companies. I think he mentioned there might be one or two more things he's worked on coming up, but I'm pretty sure this was not one of them.

their is a snow scout design out there somewhere

Snow%20Speeder%20Bike.jpg

Ah yes, this guy. I have actually...very...freakin'...slowly...been working on a repaint of the Hasbro Speeder and I am patiently waiting the Sideshow scout trooper, snow trooper, and AT-AT driver so I can bash one of these guys.

I am going off of Hasbro's 3-3/4" version, though. Not off this drawing.

I will respectfully disagree... and black marks are consistent with how they appeared on screen. I don't know if you've seen any in-hand but the weathering is very well done IMO.

Nathan's mentioned a few times that he no longer works for Sideshow, but is now doing work for other companies. I think he mentioned there might be one or two more things he's worked on coming up, but I'm pretty sure this was not one of them.

Have seen a few at my LCS but admittedly mostly going from pics. I guess SSC's kind of in a jam if that's how they were portrayed on screen (will have to go back and keep an eye out for it in ROTS, next time I watch... just don't remember it being quite so blatant). In a nutshell, though, basic issue for me is it doesn't look realistic to my eye. Boba Fett, IG-88, Desert Sands Sandtrooper and that teaser pic of the Snowtrooper all look like realistic wear and tear to me. I don't look at them at think, "Damn, it needs more black marks!". Definitely prefer the way weathering was done in the OT and that's the last I'll say about it.

Shame about Silent (though did see later comments that he'd done some work on the Snowie and not that I'm not happy if he's moved on to a better position), it was great hearing from the actual prototype artist in some of these threads.

Love those pics, totally incredible. My favourite of all those pictures (at least of the ones I saw in Making of ESB) is the one of the Snowtrooper funeral. Don't have access to a scanner, but if someone does, hopefully they'll be posted.

Yes Silentsurfer did work on Snowtrooper - I remember asking him about it before the last SDCC. BUt you're right, it was probably close to when he stopped doing work for SSC, so it may not be all his work. Nobody does weathering like him.

It would be nice to get a clean and dirty variant of this guy though.

This is another figure where Hasbro did a pretty damn good job - which will hopefully get blown out of the water by the SSC upgrade.

Wait... Why did he stop working for SSC?

Yes Silentsurfer did work on Snowtrooper - I remember asking him about it before the last SDCC. BUt you're right, it was probably close to when he stopped doing work for SSC, so it may not be all his work. Nobody does weathering like him.

It would be nice to get a clean and dirty variant of this guy though.

This is another figure where Hasbro did a pretty damn good job - which will hopefully get blown out of the water by the SSC upgrade.

The main issue with the Hasbro one (and a lot of their figures) was the oversized/clunky parts. Gloves and boots usually looked pretty bad; but I've definitely seen some great customs using the Hasbro as a base.

I wonder if Sideshow will use the armored body on this one... he's a trooper, but doesn't have the same form-fitting armor like the clones or stormies.

I don't mind seeing this trooper weathered, as long as weathering is good. Cannot wait to see the HELMET!! :horror:yess:

Wait... Why did he stop working for SSC?

He was let go for some reason - something about him "trying to make friends" I think were his words.

Pretty unfortunate. You'd think a company like SSC would culture relationships with and really value people at the top of their game like silent.

I don't mind seeing this trooper weathered, as long as weathering is good. Cannot wait to see the HELMET!! :horror:yess:

I agree that some of weathering on the clones hasn't been 100% convincing - like the weathering on the early sandtroopers - but the latest Desert Sands trooper really nailed it. I think SSC is "there" now...

And how they achieve the hood is going to be pretty critical.

The main issue with the Hasbro one (and a lot of their figures) was the oversized/clunky parts. Gloves and boots usually looked pretty bad; but I've definitely seen some great customs using the Hasbro as a base.

I wonder if Sideshow will use the armored body on this one... he's a trooper, but doesn't have the same form-fitting armor like the clones or stormies.

I just couldn't believe I was holding a 12" snowtrooper all those years ago, so the Hasbro one is pretty near and dear, but know what you mean on the oversize parts. I was always bothered by the "fat" gloves with tiny curved fingers (Dengar as well) and chunky symmetrical boots. The backp[ack is great though.

And I hope they use the armored body - they are using "blanket" fabric that will thicken everything up, then the few armor pieces are on top of that.

A little late to the party but I was looking at the pic below and was wondering if maybe you guys might know, is that a real fabric glove on the hand? That would be awesome given the amount of detail they've already done it. I don't know much about the snowtroopers but this is looking great to me.

Sideshow_Collectibles_teaser_snowtrooper.jpg

I dig what people are saying about the weathering on the armor; I like the look of it but I thought the Rebels had the weathered, second-hand gear while the Imperials had the clean & pristine, new gear. My favorite thing about the Star Wars Universe (compared to Star Trek and othe Sci-Fi) is that it looked "lived-in". Things were scratched, dented and beaten up. I'm just not sure The Snowtrooper falls under that category. I think it's time to watch ESB!

Back