1/6 Scale Sideshow Bossk Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I was all excited about the $25 off coupon code until I saw the selection of items it could be applied to! A bit of a sham actually.

I've heard SSC's spiel about how fed ex is cheaper, faster and better but I gotta say, I've been buying all kinds of items out of the US for years ( some cheap items, some expensive, some small packages, some very large) and in my experience, that is just not true. Especially when you take into account the extra dees fed ex ( and ups for that matter) charge on this end that SSC never sees... I'd at least like the option of choosing regular parcel post or even express post with tracking. That at least saves the brokerage and handling fees.

That image of the V1 Bossk gives a slightly different impression of the head sculpt than the actual figure does in hand. There might be some slight distortion going on there.
Here's an image from Michael Crawford that shows the V1 sculpt more accurately:
https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_012113a.htm
View attachment 275821

The V2 head sculpt does look more accurate, but I'm still quite happy with mine. There's not a big enough difference for me to trade up on a third tier character.
I'm happy for all those that missed out on the first one. Now I just have to find the money to buy IG-88. :(

it is all in the angle... the screen used Bossk mask isn't all that worthy of needing the debate... the Sideshow V2 may even look better.

as with Fett, our imagination built these characters... in ROTJ, i'll bet neither of these guys lived up to what each one of us had envisioned. the new sculpt somewhat reminds me of this... Bossk, but better.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 10.11.17 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 10.11.17 PM.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 10.08.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 10.08.47 PM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 151
A rep at SSC once told me that fedex ships faster and gives them better rates.

Strange when they use UPS to ship to Europe from HK now. In my experiance they ship alot faster.

My R2-Q5 shipped from HK on Wednesday and my package arrived in Sweden on Friday.

Yeah, I was all excited about the $25 off coupon code until I saw the selection of items it could be applied to! A bit of a sham actually.

I've heard SSC's spiel about how fed ex is cheaper, faster and better but I gotta say, I've been buying all kinds of items out of the US for years ( some cheap items, some expensive, some small packages, some very large) and in my experience, that is just not true. Especially when you take into account the extra dees fed ex ( and ups for that matter) charge on this end that SSC never sees... I'd at least like the option of choosing regular parcel post or even express post with tracking. That at least saves the brokerage and handling fees.

Oh, c'mon - you get a generous discount on all this great stuff with a SSC coupon code...

9615d1239798737-garage-sale-finds-junk.jpg

it is all in the angle... the screen used Bossk mask isn't all that worthy of needing the debate... the Sideshow V2 may even look better.

as with Fett, our imagination built these characters... in ROTJ, i'll bet neither of these guys lived up to what each one of us had envisioned. the new sculpt somewhat reminds me of this... Bossk, but better.
Bossk must have died on the sailbarge... I never knew he was on it till now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Bossk must have died on the sailbarge... I never knew he was on it till now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

He's a 100% background character in ROTJ - the costume is incomplete and the mask somewhat degraded and thin looking (I guess it had been used for three movies by that point.)

Oh, c'mon - you get a generous discount on all this great stuff with a SSC coupon code...

9615d1239798737-garage-sale-finds-junk.jpg

Haha! That's awesome! And not too far off. Many of my coupons just expire because the list of items that are available for the discount is so abysmal. But that said, I did just use my last one to buy a Hot Toys ANH Luke Skywalker. But everything else that was available was old stuff I either already have or have no interest in.

The Canadian government **** us! For me it's an extra $40 in Canadian brokerage fees plus currency conversions!
Sideshow hates Canadians!

its not the government its ultimately Sideshow that ****s us, they will only use Fedex, if Sideshow offered usps as a shipping option we would only get dinged with import charges every so often. I would probably order more if I could

its not the government its ultimately Sideshow that ****s us, they will only use Fedex, if Sideshow offered usps as a shipping option we would only get dinged with import charges every so often. I would probably order more if I could

Open a FedEx account and you'll save on brokerage charges. You're also free to specify your own broker or handle the paperwork yourself if you let them know ahead of time. On a $250+ package with CPC you're almost guaranteed to pay PST/GST/HST as well - brokerage fee will be much lower of course.

Sideshow distributes to Canadian retailers who prefer you'd buy locally - they can't very well undercut those retailers at every turn and put them out of business.

Open a FedEx account and you'll save on brokerage charges. You're also free to specify your own broker or handle the paperwork yourself if you let them know ahead of time. On a $250+ package with CPC you're almost guaranteed to pay PST/GST/HST as well - brokerage fee will be much lower of course.

Sideshow distributes to Canadian retailers who prefer you'd buy locally - they can't very well undercut those retailers at every turn and put them out of business.

I don't know about that. I honestly seem to run right around 50% for packages valued at over $100 that get hit with GST. There doesn't seem top be any rhyme or reason to it. Some hit my doorstep with no tax and some have tax due. I think the postal sorting centres just get so busy at times that maybe they don't have time to assess every package. I dunno...

The comment about opening a Fed Ex account is good advice! Thanks! I usually try to avoid using them but I am starting to have enough incoming that it is actually worth considering.

It's not CPC that fails to collect the tax, it's dependent on the desire/volume of Canada Customs at the time. Everything incoming passes through customs (though I have no idea if it's all in a visual manner) and it's not up to the CPC whether tax is assessed. FedEx on the other-hand processes all the documentation in advance for every package so everything has tax owing even before it crosses the border.

I can't remember what the brokerage charge is for account holders, but it's much cheaper than if you don't have an account. When placing orders have the sender include your account in the documentation, then FedEx can directly bill your credit card attached to that account. It's less work for them and the reason they give you a better price.

I don't generally have packages with medium declared values delivered by CPC - anything from HK/China typically has some random low value declared and stuff from the US I generally have delivered to an address in the US and then import and clear myself. Larger orders with high dollars are handled by my broker who can also arrange the best shipping methods whether it be commercial courier or freight - hand-off like this is great once you've found a broker that's dependable, honest and consistent (there are a lot of flaky companies I've dealt with over the years).

one of my close friends is a sideshow retailer, he has gone from cases of 6-12 figs 2 years ago to 1's and 2's depending on demand (and this is only for customers willing to pre order), and his prices are the lowest in the city and Sideshow still finds ways to screw him, the market is dead up here, this time next year he wont be dealing with them at all, so if sideshow isnt willing to help out the customers who are left than theyre losing out

Let me get this straight, buying a toy on the internet in Canada is so mired in red tape and bureaucracy you need too hire a third party to complete all the paperwork, and calculate and pay any applicable taxes?

one of my close friends is a sideshow retailer, he has gone from cases of 6-12 figs 2 years ago to 1's and 2's depending on demand (and this is only for customers willing to pre order), and his prices are the lowest in the city and Sideshow still finds ways to screw him, the market is dead up here, this time next year he wont be dealing with them at all, so if sideshow isnt willing to help out the customers who are left than theyre losing out

What retailer is he? I'm in Toronto, and always looking for options as sometimes my supplier can't get me what I need...

Let me get this straight, buying a toy on the internet in Canada is so mired in red tape and bureaucracy you need too hire a third party to complete all the paperwork, and calculate and pay any applicable taxes?

No, not at all. Shipping internationally is pretty much identical wither you are a US company shipping out to Canada or anyone else shipping from Canada to the US.

For consumer goods (that don't fall under dangerous goods, ITAR, CITES, etc.) being shipped to an individual (not a company) all that the shipper had to do is fill out a customs declaration form. takes about a minute and a half. When the package arrives in-country, no brokerage is required if shipped through the mail.

For whatever reason, shipping companies like Sideshow choose to ship via courier and that's where it gets expensive. Shipping plus brokerage, plus handling fees... Again, this would be the same if I was shipping a package to my cousin in Houston or if he was shipping to me in Canada.

You can try to make this about governments and red tape all you want, but that's just not the case. international shipping doesn't need to be difficult or expensive. It boggles my mind why some companies choose to make it so...

So yes, if one insists on assessing fault or blame, this is Sideshow's fault. There's no two ways about it. It cost me less to ship $1000 worth items that are controlled by international arms treaties and US Department of State regulation, requiring reams of paperwork from the US DOS (this is your government's paperwork, not mine), up to Canada than it does to get a $200 action figure from Sideshow...

So yeah, USPS works just fine for shipping to Canada at a reasonable price. And it IS Sideshow's fault! :p

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 4.46.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 4.46.33 PM.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 266
Back