1/6 scale Landspeeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Jas and hope you're back to 100% soon.

Landspeeder's looking sweet...

mduVdvW.jpg

Holy crap, mate! Thank Christ you're out the other end. Had a friend who went through it and she said the same - it's a viscous mongrel of a thing.

Worrying times. Are you going back on the frontline again, or will you have some time off now?

Take care.

(PS: The Landspeeder looks amazing!)

Feeling better each day so definitely on the mend, had to pop into the hospital early this morning to sort a few things out, but had very little contact.

It's a double edged sword in our house at the min as the wife is a children's complex respiratory nurse so we would never risk her spreading it to the little ones so she had to isolate as a result of me contracting it.

I'm really really pleased that you all approve as this is just as much your build as it is mine :hi5:
As I have always said quality over quantity and attention to detail is absolutely everything in scale replicas and there is simply no excuse do a crap job.

Crazy times people, stay safe everyone.

I just noticed that weird gap between the seats and headrests in the photo above. Is that just particular to a certain prop? Sorry if this has already been dissected to death already. :D

I just noticed that weird gap between the seats and headrests in the photo above. Is that just particular to a certain prop? Sorry if this has already been dissected to death already. :D

:lol I was thinking that exact thing when I saw those shots, but when I looked at other various pictures of the speeder I didn't see those same gaps, maybe a slightly larger gap than the other seat cushions, but not like that.

That brown bodywork bar across the seat is present in the Tunisia versions of the speeder (not sure about the California version.)

In some shots it almost appeared they had a thinner headrest for when 3PO's legs were in the well behind the seats like in the sandtrooper roadblock scene so maybe above that bar was removable for swap-out.

Not sure it matters though - who's going to display the speeder with no one or only one person in the seats?

Well I'd likely have the speeder displayed on it's own, or maybe just with Luke standing alongside. I don't usually care for seating figures inside my vehicles, since it's hard to make look natural (since they don't sink into the cushions) and hides too much of the figure anyway.

Well the way Jas has built it, the lower seat and upper seat are separate so it may be possible to create an add-on bar to that area to correct it without messing with anything else.

Basically just thin sheet over the seat faces then sharp curves at each end of the bar that meld into the existing large cockpit perimeter oval.

I really didn't think of the possibility of people displaying this with no figs in it (I assumed everyone would do the Luke/3PO or Luke/Ben/3PO/R2 combo) so I guess it maybe needs to be added if it's possible at this late stage.

Seat cushions do create a dilemma for makers of 1/6 vehicles - do you create realistic sort of "puffy" leather that has volume/height (with sculpted wrinkles or whatever) or do you make them flattened so it doesn't sit the seated figure up too high. It's almost like you need both (like HT ANH Luke's "hat hair" and "no hat hair") but that's not realistic for something like this.

And I'm using cobbled together figures (the Luke and Ben will be made of unused custom bits and the R2 will be a Taito clock) so I didn't think of your point that it hides much of a normally standalone figure, like who'd pay hundreds for each Ghostbuster then put them inside the Ecto, or even have half the figure hidden with figure partly in the car.

Putting aside the "bar" debate for a moment and going to the display options, I plan to not have figures seated in mine either. I'm going for this:
Sluuce_Canyon.png

The "in" or "out" of a 1/6 vehicle debate/problem is why I have decided not to pursue a 1/6 Falcon cockpit, HT or custom. I just don't want to put the ANH figures inside it and having only a portion of that ship isn't as desirable to me as it once was.

As for the Landspeeder, my current thought for initial display is to have Luke standing near it running his hand across the side while Mythos Kenobi, Momaw, and Garindan spy on him from a distance. But I'll probably occasionally rotate in the standard crew of Luke, Ben, 3P0, and R2.

Well the way Jas has built it, the lower seat and upper seat are separate so it may be possible to create an add-on bar to that area to correct it without messing with anything else.

Basically just thin sheet over the seat faces then sharp curves at each end of the bar that meld into the existing large cockpit perimeter oval.

I really didn't think of the possibility of people displaying this with no figs in it (I assumed everyone would do the Luke/3PO or Luke/Ben/3PO/R2 combo) so I guess it maybe needs to be added if it's possible at this late stage.

Seat cushions do create a dilemma for makers of 1/6 vehicles - do you create realistic sort of "puffy" leather that has volume/height (with sculpted wrinkles or whatever) or do you make them flattened so it doesn't sit the seated figure up too high. It's almost like you need both (like HT ANH Luke's "hat hair" and "no hat hair") but that's not realistic for something like this.

And I'm using cobbled together figures (the Luke and Ben will be made of unused custom bits and the R2 will be a Taito clock) so I didn't think of your point that it hides much of a normally standalone figure, like who'd pay hundreds for each Ghostbuster then put them inside the Ecto, or even have half the figure hidden with figure partly in the car.

They actually did a great job making the seats in the Ecto look naturally worn and sunken in (despite the fact the rest of the car looks brand spanking new ;)). But I still don't have much desire to seat the figures inside.

As for the landspeeder, I'm not that bothered by the fact the headrest isn't separated out, as it's probably not a detail that will be very noticeable once this thing is fully painted and weathered up.

The California version of the speeder (on display at the petersen museum in L.A.) does seem to have the bar as well. You can see it faintly behind the glass and also see the two sharp curves at each end where the bar meets the cockpit oval:

PSlYmUB.png

I think what's happened in the original comparison pic further up is the seat cushions have come away from the rear panel & have slid down. The head rests are obviously separate to those & sit on the rear flat part of the speeder.
Well, that's how it looks to me.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I think the bar we are seeing is what the headrests slotted into - in this pic you can see the holes the headrests slid into.

7V8mk5d.jpg

There's some leeway with the headrests and seats generally because as you can see here, they fudged it with thinner headrests in closer angles. (and speaking of fudging, ugh - look at those 3PO legs - his thigh is either upside down and rotated 90 deg sideways in the pics, along with the gold tin foil they covered below his waist with. Gotta love high res freeze frames:rotfl)

WW5DXQ1.jpg

Great conversation in here. I'm actually not planning on displaying figures in the speeder either. It's going to be Sandtroopers or Tusken Raiders or the droids with maybe Ben standing by -- probably rotate things out.

Not saying anything should be reworked here, but I do think in general cushions in 1/6 vehicles should be molded to be somewhat sunken in and lived in on things that aren't meant to be brand spanking new, an in-between look if you well. If someone is serious about putting their figures in they can customize the figures a bit too.

I think even if I got a HT cockpit I wouldn't put figures in it.

Putting aside the "bar" debate for a moment and going to the display options, I plan to not have figures seated in mine either. I'm going for this:
Sluuce_Canyon.png

Great idea! That would look fantastic.

I was just planing on having Luke standing next to it - something like this:

Wow, I can't believe I'm basically alone in planning to display this with figs in it.:lol

That's a cool painting - never seen that one before.

I think it would be pretty cool to have a custom of this guy standing next to Luke and the Landspeeder.
42cfc585e93e2b5bfdedcb7c412932b3.jpg
95023909ef29a6190b420e582ddf4b62.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Back