1/6 scale Landspeeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have decided that the detail on the dash can be improved, to resemble something more like in the second image.
Not quite sure if that much detail can be squeezed into such a small area...but I'll give it a go and may increase the size of the dash / panel slightly.

View attachment 450030

View attachment 450032

This won't delay progress any and is something I can work on between casts.

Jas

This pic shows the differences between the dash panel as it was during filming in Tunisia and how it is for the shows version of the speeder. One seems to be an embellished version of the other. Many parts on the shows version do seem authentic to the filming version, but they have added bits and repainted in areas.

It's possible the dash panel was slightly different for the California desert filming version of the speeder, though that one was designed to drive fast on the salt flat not to be filmed close up.

I4ZTQSY.jpg

I believe this is the only glimpse of the dash panel actually in the movie, which seems to be the same as the bts pic above:

EOgJrqx.png

I have decided that the detail on the dash can be improved, to resemble something more like in the second image.
Not quite sure if that much detail can be squeezed into such a small area...but I'll give it a go and may increase the size of the dash / panel slightly.

View attachment 450030

View attachment 450032

This won't delay progress any and is something I can work on between casts.

Jas

I am not among the supporters of this project and keep tabs on it just for the beauty of the whole thing. On top of that, Star Wars has never been know for its technical feasibility... but... heck... that "dashboard" is plain nonsense, touching on the ridiculous.

If you go into this, you might want to... ehm... update it a little bit...?

My 2c anyways.
m.

Screen accuracy rules! LOL

Assuming Luke is a dirtbag farmboy souping up his speeder with scavenged and aftermarket parts in his spare time, the ‘dash’ can be explained as very ugly but functional switches for some non-factory ‘special modifications ‘. Problem solved. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, what I like about a lot of SW prop and set dressing (buttons, boards, sliders) is the usage of the first generation plastic buttons and computer-esque detailing that were all-new in the decade before SW was produced. These replaced the bulkier bakelite switches and knobs of the 40s/50s/60s - some of it coming out of the space race - and gives SW a cool 1970s sci-fi vibe.

Yeah, what I like about a lot of SW prop and set dressing (buttons, boards, sliders) is the usage of the first generation plastic buttons and computer-esque detailing that were all-new in the decade before SW was produced. These replaced the bulkier bakelite switches and knobs of the 40s/50s/60s - some of it coming out of the space race - and gives SW a cool 1970s sci-fi vibe.

Didn’t think twice when I was a kid (which now explains the popularity of other SW films that adult man-children such as myself hate — lol) but as an adult, I just looked at that primitive looking technology as the aftermath of a brutal and protracted galaxy-wide conflict preceding the time period the OT is set within.

It’s still crazy high-technology by our mundane real-world standards, but in-universe it’s people making do after catastrophic war, general economic collapse and a subsequent dictatorship.

I am not among the supporters of this project and keep tabs on it just for the beauty of the whole thing. On top of that, Star Wars has never been know for its technical feasibility... but... heck... that "dashboard" is plain nonsense, touching on the ridiculous.

My 2c anyways.
m.

Aahhhh........ What?????

Truly bizarre comment to make if you don't give a sh#t/support the project.

Move along. Move along.

Aahhhh........ What?????

Move along. Move along.

The benefits of the ignore feature shows its value yet again. Glad I don't have to read that bs whenever it pops up.

Am sure he's just trolling for reactions.

My 2c anyways.
m.

...you surely can’t be serious. That kind of “nonsense” design is the backbone of Star Wars!

Aahhhh........ What?????

Move along. Move along.

I am sorry, but I am not moving along. I do care about this beautiful project, and that is precisely why I am keeping tabs on it and why I took the time and pain to write my post. Also because of ScratchBuilder's attention to detail and penchant for quality above everything else.

BTW, if my opinion drives you so wild, you'd better see a doctor. This is a hobby forum, not World War 3. People are free to have opinions and expose arguments to underpin them. You can share those opinions or not, no biggie, but there is definitely no need to insult or show contempt for anybody just because you don't share their opinions. You expose yourself to be insulted back, and be shown contempt too (not by me, of course; I am tired of, and way above that, unlike Hoody999).

Didn’t think twice when I was a kid (which now explains the popularity of other SW films that adult man-children such as myself hate — lol) but as an adult, I just looked at that primitive looking technology as the aftermath of a brutal and protracted galaxy-wide conflict preceding the time period the OT is set within.

It’s still crazy high-technology by our mundane real-world standards, but in-universe it’s people making do after catastrophic war, general economic collapse and a subsequent dictatorship.

Now, this is more civilized.

Yeap, there are great designs in SW, like the Falcon, that are really hard to swallow. You know, a vehicle that must endure laser blasts so violent that, even partially deflected can alter abruptly its course, should not fly around with important pipes and parts spread all over its shell, even if they look "interesting". They must be protected under the shell. See real airplanes. Everything is concealed. Aerodynamics, stealth, safety... lots of reasons why.

Other designs are actually great, like the probe droid which almost makes 100% sense. Also the landspeeder.

But there are other designs that are too non-sensical, ugly, and overly impractical, and the sume of these features touches on the ridiculous. To me, that is the case of IG-88... and this dashboard.

This dashboard is too non-sensical, with all those IC sockets just glued everywhere, as if they were "something". It is too obvious, no depth, no layering. And those tiny tan capacitors....... come on...... It was a quick job for something that was not supposed to draw too much attention, 40 years ago. Yet, the landspeeder is a beautiful design that deserves a nice job also on its dashboard, but that clearly didn't get.

My 2 cents anyway.

Screen accuracy rules! LOL

Assuming Luke is a dirtbag farmboy souping up his speeder with scavenged and aftermarket parts in his spare time, the ‘dash’ can be explained as very ugly but functional switches for some non-factory ‘special modifications ‘. Problem solved. ;)

If this dashboard was a modded one, there would be some underlying structure to it, and some layering (original stuff, modded stuff on top). The resut: depth and realism. Those too-earthling-looking IC sockets and electronic parts, those metal rods that are not levers nor sliders nor anything you can adjust, those dial wheels that are just there... At least, in the Falcon's cockpit there is some structure to the control pannels. They look like something workable. I can't see that on this dashboard.

...you surely can’t be serious. That kind of “nonsense” design is the backbone of Star Wars!

That's right, and sheer beauty can cover for nonsensicalness. AT-AT walkers, AT-ST walkers... OMGs... I am fully onboard and I embrace non-sense in exchange for kicks, but my suspension of nonsense disbelief has a quality threshold, and I don't think a lot of care went into this dashboard. That's it.
And yes. I am dead serious on this.

I am sure a complex, intriguing, almost real-looking, nonsensical, starwarsy dashboard could be done for this beautiful speeder, that would enhance even further its classical beauty. Granted, accuracy rules, but you guys have been painstakingly accurate until now. You deserve a final artistical licence. Your chance to make this speeder yours, and even more unique, by improving something that might use some improvements.

Again, my 2 cents anyways.

m.

Everyone has an opinion, but for me it would be a shame to go so far for screen accuracy and then change the interior to something not screen accurate. The rest of the speeder is beat up, damaged and looks like a patchwork of repairs. The interior the same. I love seeing the updates and can not wait to see this in my collection!
Keep up the good work.

[...snip...]

I am sure a complex, intriguing, almost real-looking, nonsensical, starwarsy dashboard could be done for this beautiful speeder, that would enhance even further its classical beauty. Granted, accuracy rules, but you guys have been painstakingly accurate until now. You deserve a final artistical licence. Your chance to make this speeder yours, and even more unique, by improving something that might use some improvements.

Again, my 2 cents anyways.

m.

In a perfect world there may have been swappable dashboards or something, but this particular piece is clearly aimed for the 'rivet-counter' (that's a real thing) segment of the hobby market -- personally I admire it as such. This is a prop replica, not an in-universe interpretation.

I can see where you're going with it, though. It's just that when they built them, ILM never imagined the scrutiny these props would come under for the next 43 years. It's kind of a beautiful thing.

Of all the things in the SW universe that can not happen in real life or are not "realistic" you bring up the dashboard of the landspeeder? To me that dashboard might be one of the 2-3 only realistic things about SW.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So here's a question that might have been answered. Will there be a way to mount the long blaster rifle onto the landspeeder? Unclear if that was ever built into the design, or if they just had it resting on the speeder for this scene.

landspeeder.jpg

Everyone has an opinion, but for me it would be a shame to go so far for screen accuracy and then change the interior to something not screen accurate. The rest of the speeder is beat up, damaged and looks like a patchwork of repairs. The interior the same. I love seeing the updates and can not wait to see this in my collection!
Keep up the good work.

As I already said, the underlying design of the Landspeeder is great, and its heavily weathered finish makes it more attractive.
The dashboard is quite the contrary. A more fitting dashboard would make this 1/6 landspeeder more attractive.

In a perfect world there may have been swappable dashboards or something, but this particular piece is clearly aimed for the 'rivet-counter' (that's a real thing) segment of the hobby market -- personally I admire it as such. This is a prop replica, not an in-universe interpretation.

I can see where you're going with it, though. It's just that when they built them, ILM never imagined the scrutiny these props would come under for the next 43 years. It's kind of a beautiful thing.

Glad you see my point. Those poor artists just couldn't give a perfect finish to everything, particularly considering they must have been told by their higher-ups that the interior was not going to feature heavily on screen. As you point out, here we are, an eternity later, still perusing into this thing. We are bound to find silly stuff that is not worthy of the good stuff. It is reasonable to tell one from the other. It is interesting and creative to try and complete the work that couldn't be done. Is a right won by the artists because of the love they are pouring into this project.

I am also a rivet-counter, but only when I feel it is worth it. I bet even the guy who made the dashboard would tell you it is quickly whipped-up rubbish. I don't think it is worth rivet-counting, but enhancing, completing, and improving the rivets. Or even maybe removing them and starting from scratch with other rivets.

Anyway, those were my 2 cents, as I already said.

Of all the things in the SW universe that can not happen in real life or are not "realistic" you bring up the dashboard of the landspeeder? To me that dashboard might be one of the 2-3 only realistic things about SW.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2001 was very successful at representing very plausible technologies in a very realistic manner. All technologies were almost already developed. No fancy anti-gravitational devices, no transwarp engines.

Star Wars was very successful at representing very implausible technologies in a very realistic manner. Quite a feat, if you ask me. The result was ever-lasting sensorial beauty (as long as you leave your brain at home).

Well: that dashboard is not only implausible (as it is meant to control implausible technology). It is not even realistic. It is just a bunch of non-functional, unusable greeblies, glued onto a board together with some electronic parts that were supposed to be unrecognizable at the time, but which know look rather obviously earthling and silly (let's face it: you don't leave intriguing, delicate, probably vital parts dangling on a dashboard, even if you have hacked them). You can't control anything with that dashboard. And there is an abyss between this and the MF's cockpit (and even that cockpit doesn't hold up well today, lacking any piece of text, or any feedback/sensor display.... come on....).

That dashboard is, hence, an opportunity for improvement and creativity.

"There ain't no face or palm big enough."

Sorry about that mate.

Best,
m.

Can't wait to see the first proto paint-up. It's going to be a bit surreal to see this not in its yellow construction colors.

Back