1/6 scale Landspeeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That's the ticket! But widened only with the right arrow direction - so the front face of that (now wider) support sits closer to the black intake like it is on the prop vehicle.

Is it possible to address the cut-outs on each side circled here? On the prop/build from the movie the rounded sections sweep - they're not semi-circles.

View attachment 443501

Not a huge deal, but a good catch, hopefully it's not too late to remedy that.

While closer shots are nice to see the often incredible detail, posting "flat" plan/front elevation/side elevation view pics as a project progresses (preferably with a couple of different 1/6 full figures as scale ref whenever possible) is key in catching this kind of thing early, as well as judging the overall proportions. Especially if those pics are taken from a ways-back with a slightly zoomed-in lens to further diminish distortion.

One issue with giving feedback with this unique (and I'd argue important) project has been that most pics have been closer angles that are often a bit distorted/canted so harder to pick out things like the semi-circle cut-outs or even any overall proportion issues that can be harder to fix further down the line.

Agreed. I think the key might be to make sure the worn bits are blended in more with the faded paint and dirtied up front, so the silver blobs don't stand out as much. And they did do a good job in the movie making the landspeeder look just generally weathered and really beat up.

star-wars_key_4-1-0522.jpg

It's funny the details you miss until you look more closely. It's not majorly important, but there are actually holes or darkened areas behind the grilles. Maybe they could be added as paint ?? Are the grilles actually metallic ?

Another thing in this picture. You can see the side thruster has absolutely nothing in it, just a couple of grilles :lol At least you'll be screen accurate Jas.

So for the chipped paint in front do you think you'll be painting the whole thing silver first, or just adding that in after? I suppose the first way might be more realistic, but on the actual prop it looks to me like the silver was just painted on afterwards. At least judging by those weird silver blobs.

Not sure which way I'll go yet and there are a lot of different ways to to get the result but once I've got one in hand to work on I'll have a play and see what looks best. I tend to paint in lots of thin layers so I will be able to blend the chipping in amongst those so probably won't spray the whole thing in a metallic paint but just localised areas

It's funny the details you miss until you look more closely. It's not majorly important, but there are actually holes or darkened areas behind the grilles. Maybe they could be added as paint ?? Are the grilles actually metallic ?

Another thing in this picture. You can see the side thruster has absolutely nothing in it, just a couple of grilles :lol At least you'll be screen accurate Jas.

I will force some depth with shading in darker colours for areas like that and those grills look kind of like a bright aluminum that's oxidised and I have paint that can get a similar effect once some weathering goes on top of it .Never noticed the see through engine nacelles before that's mad lol

changing their primer colour can really change the lustre of the metal, I painted these gundam legs in the same metal paints as the models above
Untitled by Brundle Donk, on Flickr

I am so excited to use these kind of techniques on something as big as Jays speeder, what an amazing canvas to work on

Pete

changing their primer colour can really change the lustre of the metal, I painted these gundam legs in the same metal paints as the models above

I am so excited to use these kind of techniques on something as big as Jays speeder, what an amazing canvas to work on

Pete

Nice stuff Pete ! I do a bit of painting too, there are some great paints out there to help achieve realistic effects. Application is then the key, which looks like you have down pat. Thanks for the images.

Nice stuff Pete ! I do a bit of painting too, there are some great paints out there to help achieve realistic effects. Application is then the key, which looks like you have down pat. Thanks for the images.

Thanks mate, I use Aclad a fair bit and it does give a pretty nice representation of metal but the trick for metals is a nice surface to work from, so prep is really important and 95% of the work

Pete

Simply stunning Pete - can't wait for you to work your magic, sir!

Speeder is now dismantled and creating the rubber moulds is well underway at last :hi5:
There is still some very fine finishing and detailing left to do but I'm really pleased with this build.

Image 76.jpg

Image 77.jpg

Image 75.jpg

I should have all the moulds finalised this weekend, so if all goes to plan Pete should have the first batch of Speeders by the end of the Month :yess:

Jas

Will these be solid resin? Or do you build cavities in underneath to save on resin?

Will these be solid resin? Or do you build cavities in underneath to save on resin?

I've manufactured these parts in such a way that once cast and painted they can be simply stuck back on in a kit style model.

Me & Pete stay in touch throughout our builds to make sure I don't give him any issues when painting and avoid a masking nightmare.

Engines, seats and most of the bodywork I plan on being solid apart from the large area under the bonnet (hood) which has a framework creating 4x cavities and I'm contemplating doing similar for the rear section to keep the weight down. This will take a bit more effort on my part but as you know chaps.....I'm all about quality rather than quantity :wink1:

Weight is always in the back of my mind, especially as we ship worldwide and the UK postal service goes into complete meltdown if you try a ship anything over 3kg.

PS, All pre-orders are now spoken for, if your name wasn't on the list....sorry

However, feel free to drop me an email and if anyone drops out I'll be in touch. :pray:

Jas

Back