1/6 scale Landspeeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might make sense to have at least one in advance to iron out the production paint scheme.

if I’m being honest I’d rather have them in one go purely as it will be easier for me to keep the paint jobs consistent and they all will need to be done however many I get at a time lol

Ok mate, we'll sort something out may have to hire a van or make a couple of trips as I doubt I'll get them all in the motor in one go, there's that many, especially if they are boxed up with custom made foam protection.

Ok mate, we'll sort something out may have to hire a van or make a couple of trips as I doubt I'll get them all in the motor in one go, there's that many, especially if they are boxed up with custom made foam protection.

Sorry Jay I'm vastly underestimating the size of a speeder lol and I didn't realise you had the boxes already ( I'd forgotten about boxes ) we can figure out how we get them transported nearer the time mate no worries ��

So for the chipped paint in front do you think you'll be painting the whole thing silver first, or just adding that in after? I suppose the first way might be more realistic, but on the actual prop it looks to me like the silver was just painted on afterwards. At least judging by those weird silver blobs.

I know this model pic is a bit outdated (I think this was before the body was thinned a bit and other stuff like the grille have been changed) but this is looking pretty great in comparison to the long-lens (ie distortion-free) reference pics in terms of overall body proportions and placement of elements such as engine nacelles and other body details.:clap

(*bottom ref pic is obviously flipped)

BYXljwy.png

It does feel to me like the the body might be a tiny bit thicker in that comparison, but it might just be because it's unpainted and a bright yellow color.

It still looks really damn good though.

It does feel to me like the the body might be a tiny bit thicker in that comparison, but it might just be because it's unpainted and a bright yellow color.

It still looks really damn good though.

Yeah, the landspeeder body is pretty damn thin - and not very tall off the ground either. It seems to literally come up to not much more than knee height next to people, even with the wheels under it.

I believe the pic I've used above of the model was before they sanded it thinner (ie top and bottom), though it does seem that the front/nose has been reshaped/sharpened there and that was around the same time that they did the thinning.

The top engine narcelle's angled support looks like it could be widened by maybe 1/8" to a 1/4" further forward (you can see on the prop vehicle its pretty close to the front of the nacelle) and would be pretty easy to do, but it's a minor nit and other than the possible body thickness issue (which I think was already fixed - it was discussed months ago), everything else is looking close to spot-on, even overall size/scale, which could have been touch-and-go.

I used this older possibly outdated model pic because there aren't too many true side views of the model that I've seen - this is the only one I could find.

Thanks for the feedback guys always appreciated, making the rear narcelle slightly wider won't cause me any problems and will be done this weekend.
The ride height isn't set yet, so we are open to suggestions.

A difference I have noticed is the head height of Luke in the top & bottom pics.
The wind shield looks considerably taller in the bottom pic giving the effect that they are sitting lower.....just to confuse matters :horror :dunno
I haven't finalised the wind shield yet so again this has some minor wiggle room for adjustment.

Thanks for the feedback guys always appreciated, making the rear narcelle slightly wider won't cause me any problems and will be done this weekend.

A difference I have noticed is the head height of Luke in the top & bottom pics.
The wind shield looks considerably taller in the bottom pic giving the effect that they are sitting lower.....just to confuse matters :horror :dunno
I haven't finalised the wind shield yet so again this has some minor wiggle room for adjustment.

I think Luke has slid into his seat more or hunched down a bit more on that bottom pic. Or looking at it the other way, they are sitting more upright in the top picture. Maybe due to less flexibility of C3PO. Therefore the screen is probably exactly the same height. :dunno

So for the chipped paint in front do you think you'll be painting the whole thing silver first, or just adding that in after? I suppose the first way might be more realistic, but on the actual prop it looks to me like the silver was just painted on afterwards. At least judging by those weird silver blobs.

Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of the weathering of the Speeder. Not very realistic. I think we'd discussed with Pete to come to a happy medium of true to film regarding wear location etc, but perhaps a little more realistic wear in the closer detail ?? Don't know if that's possible ?

I mean something like this looks ridiculous and is not how paint wears.

star-wars-landspeeder-built-for-scratch-is-nerdalicious-video-photo-gallery_4.jpg

I think Luke has slid into his seat more or hunched down a bit more on that bottom pic. Or looking at it the other way, they are sitting more upright in the top picture. Maybe due to less flexibility of C3PO. Therefore the screen is probably exactly the same height. :dunno

Oh yeah think you're right ..... possible Landspeeder OD :panic: :rotfl

Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of the weathering of the Speeder. Not very realistic. I think we'd discussed with Pete to come to a happy medium of true to film regarding wear location etc, but perhaps a little more realistic wear in the closer detail ?? Don't know if that's possible ?

View attachment 443475
Sheesh! [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

View attachment 443475

Dang that's shiny

And ugly!!!!

I think Hoody is 100% correct regarding the seating. The shot with 3PO looks like they've both got sticks shoved up their butts :)

Yeah, the difference in heights is that one body is mounted on a VW bug chassis that's driveable whereas the other is obviously just an empty body shell on the big boom arm. My guess is the speeder body is so thin and low to the ground there was no way they could get the VW seat bases any lower to match what had already been filmed.

Rinzler called them two different bodies (ie the Tunisia and Death Valley versions) but I think it's just that totally different mountings of the same shell.

And sorry, the Nacelle is the "rocket pod" part, I meant the angled support piece underneath it should be wider (i.e. and made wider in the direction of the front of the speeder.) The Nacelle itself doesn't look like it needs to be wider and looks to be in the right position relative to the body.

Is it possible to address the cut-outs on each side circled here? On the prop/build from the movie the rounded sections sweep - they're not semi-circles.

landspeeder.jpg

Agreed. I think the key might be to make sure the worn bits are blended in more with the faded paint and dirtied up front, so the silver blobs don't stand out as much. And they did do a good job in the movie making the landspeeder look just generally weathered and really beat up.

star-wars_key_4-1-0522.jpg

Back