1/6 Morpheus (Dream)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keegan

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi. Thought I’d introduce myself to y’all by way of this project. My name’s Jon and I’ve been hanging around here for a while, not saying too much but enjoying the community. I’ve been collecting on and off now for many years and got interested in the 1/6 world because I’m a big fan of Nathan Crowley’s design on the Dark Knight movies and figured I needed a giant, impractical, glorious Tumbler in my life. You know, like you do. One thing leads to the next and I was quickly hooked. After checking things out and delving deeper into the hobby, I discovered the awesome artistry of the customizers here and was inspired to try my hand.

I picked up the DC Sandman figure and was pretty much underwhelmed. Morpheus is one of my favorite characters and this will be my attempt to make a figure of him that I like. Done a little kitbashing but never tried anything like this before so any and all advice or feedback is very welcome. In preparation for the project I scoured many threads here for techniques, styles and methods to “borrow” from and there is so much killer stuff! Anyway, hope you enjoy and here goes:

Here’s what I'm starting with. Not much to work with from the DC thing. Ditched the body and head but the accessories are great. Helmet is key. Key is key.

Photo Feb 19, 2 06 37 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 19, 2 07 46 PM (1).jpg

The body is a little buff for Dream but the only one I found that would be ok was Bruce Lee and he’s a too little steep (and short) for me/this experiment. I want to be able to go shirtless so if there's a good slightly thin, somewhat seamless, mostly affordable body, please lead the way. The head sculpt is Takeshi Kaneshiro. Never seen any of his films, but I like the shape, expression and need the hair for sure.

Painting...

Photo Feb 19, 4 40 39 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 20, 8 34 01 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 19, 6 55 08 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 19, 7 55 27 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 19, 7 53 57 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 19, 9 19 27 PM.jpg

Helmet before and after...

Photo Feb 19, 8 11 34 PM.jpg

Photo Feb 20, 8 32 13 PM.jpg

Next up is hair. (Never really thought I’d ever google “how to style doll hair” but, what the ****, I'm into it). Got wax and scissors and Robert Smith...

Thanks for looking!

Already looking very good, Jon! Sandman was a great comic :)

One of my favorite comics. Looks fantastic and can't wait to see the complete figure.

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Got to work on him this weekend. Feel good about the hair cut and endless futzing of his crazy do yet to come. Also worked on the outfit/accessories. New ruby, new pouch, painted key and painted shoes. The coat is from the Hot Toys Ichabod and it's rad. My original intention was to have the flames on the bottom take on a kind of trippy JH Williams space/nebula/Syd Barrett sort of thing but I couldn't get it to fade. Soaked it in bleach and dye remover literally six times and nada. The thing is tough! Compromised and went with a metallic gold paint instead and I think it's ok. More subtle anyway.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

The pants and belt I had on order came in today :) All of the parts assembled so I threw him together...really happy with how everything came out. Already feeling the addiction of this aspect of the hobby. Quick pose, quick phone pics...I'll post up better photos and the recipe later for anyone who's interested. Thanks for looking!

(1a).jpg

(1).jpg

(3).jpg

Great work! Have you considered adding Mathew Cable to the display?

--edit: never mind, I see you have him on a skull in your first pic!--

Thank you!

Matthew did come with the DC set, but he's sculpted to that skull so I'm not that into it...would have been sick if it was The Corinthian's skull. I saw that Maleficent comes with a raven so I'll probably seek him out...

Back