1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone has a right to their opinion, and whether or not they choose to purchase something. In my opinion, regardless of price, it is simply the best 1/6th scale garment ever made, or maybe that’s his Great Escape Steve McQueen jacket, or his Walking Dead clothes that he’s made.

To each their own. I’ve seen amazing figures on this forum that people put together With just spare parts and a little bit of customization

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you are correct, we are all entitled to our own opinion.

You are also in the fortunate position of being able to afford two of them, when most of us can’t justify the cost of one! Just something to thinks about, that’s all...

The back view looks absolutely fantastic. I’d be tempted to display one of my figures that way round, if I was getting two of these jackets...

D870F0AC-1FC5-48D5-8CC0-6347ADEA6B03.jpeg

There are people in these boards who have 10 times the amount of collectibles that I do.

I’d rather have that Kato jacket than 5 other figures.

And I can barely afford it, but Indy’s worth it, love those films and Harrison is a nice person as well.

One of those jackets is a gift for someone by the way ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The back view looks absolutely fantastic. I’d be tempted to display one of my figures that way round, if I was getting two of these jackets...

Prices on collectibles is all subjective. There are figures I think are waaaaaaay out of a "reasonable" price range .. for me... but its just like anything else.. Some people live in million dollar houses - because they can.. some people own exotic cars.. because they can.. when it comes to hobbies we pick and choose where we spend our money.. I don't own any of Kato's stuff because I can't drop the cash on it.. But man do I admire his work... There's a ton of higher end custom stuff I'd love to own.. Id love to own the Balloonman Skyfall sculpts.. or hell, the smiling Indy sculpt painted by someone like Dario or Eakins.. but again, just don't have the funds to throw towards my collection. (funny side note - most of my Indy stuff doesn't even have a full set of my own gear because I also just don't have the time to build stuff for myself - but rather spend my hobby time building sets for other folks who request it).. In the end I guess my point here is why give anyone a hard time though if they can pick up one of these treasures.. Kinda kills the whole point of coming here to discuss cool Indy developments in the custom world if we're going to unnecessarily kick up dust about it. I've had people over the years scoff at what I charge for my gear.. But I make every piece - one by one - completely by hand.. So its the time I put into it and the research I did to get it right (in my opinion) that justifies the price I ask.. And I also admit my gear could be better.. much better.. there are things I wish I could improve on it.. And I still FULLY appreciate anyone who says, well, it looks fine, but no way I'm paying that much for a 1/6 whip.. Completely understand - and it surely doesn't justify me being judgmental or coarse towards them over it. Anyhow.. I guess I just don't see the point in being so negative and sarcastic towards anyone able to pick these up. Its not the buyer's fault the price is what it is.. and if they can pick them up then obviously they have done something to be able to.

Last edited:
Prices on collectibles is all subjective. There are figures I think are waaaaaaay out of a "reasonable" price range .. for me... but its just like anything else.. Some people live in million dollar houses - because they can.. some people own exotic cars.. because they can.. when it comes to hobbies we pick and choose where we spend our money.. I don't own any of Kato's stuff because I can't drop the cash on it.. But man do I admire his work... There's a ton of higher end custom stuff I'd love to own.. Id love to own the Balloonman Skyfall sculpts.. or hell, the smiling Indy sculpt painted by someone like Dario or Eakins.. but again, just don't have the funds to throw towards my collection. (funny side note - most of my Indy stuff doesn't even have a full set of my own gear because I also just don't have the time to build stuff for myself - but rather spend my hobby time building sets for other folks who request it).. In the end I guess my point here is why give anyone a hard time though if they can pick up one of these treasures.. Kinda kills the whole point of coming here to discuss cool Indy developments in the custom world if we're going to unnecessarily kick up dust about it. I've had people over the years scoff at what I charge for my gear.. But I make every piece - one by one - completely by hand.. So its the time I put into it and the research I did to get it right (in my opinion) that justifies the price I ask.. And I also admit my gear could be better.. much better.. there are things I wish I could improve on it.. And I still FULLY appreciate anyone who says, well, it looks fine, but no way I'm paying that much for a 1/6 whip.. Completely understand - and it surely doesn't justify me being judgmental or coarse towards them over it. Anyhow.. I guess I just don't see the point in being so negative and sarcastic towards anyone able to pick these up. Its not the buyer's fault the price is what it is.. and if they can pick them up then obviously they have done something to be able to.

Mike, I did not mean to cause any offence to anyone. As you are well aware, I have about 4 sets of your Indy gear and I love it and think it’s worth every single penny that I paid for it, for the very same reasons that you listed.

I think my point is that as long as there are people prepared to pay Kato’s ridiculous prices, then the majority of us will always be priced out of his wonderful works of art. It has nothing to do with how much money my fellow collectors have to spend on such treasures.

I agree that it's a nice jacket, but, I also agree that $800 is a bit much. I mean, what do the materials cost? What is it that we're paying that $800 for!? Don't get me wrong, I can admire the craftsmanship and all, but, it's 1/6, not 1/1.

I get it.. but again... I'd love an Omega watch.. but the one I'd love to have is around $10k ! Is there $10k worth of materials in it.. nope.. brand recognition, quality, craftsmanship.. yup.. Will I ever own it.. big nope :rotfl I've got kids and I am a single dad.. So like that Kato jacket to you (and I) it's "bit much".. For other's - not at all.. But back to the watch comparison.. Same here really.. Kato's name has become synonymous with meticulously accurate and fine detailed work.. He is essentially a brand name now in 1/6 clothing.. Materials cost is irrelevant in 1/6 custom work.. how much does the resin cost to cast one head ? Little of nothing... but an artist can do ONE hand made piece, then just make a mold and easily sell copies of their one piece for well over $100 each.. Potentially making thousands for creating one head sculpt.. So it has never really been about materials cost, but rather you pay for the talent and most importantly the time.. As for the "it's 1/6 not 1/1" I get that too - thus I didn't even pay the $300 for the first run as I can buy a 1/1 Wested leather Indy jacket for that.. I've done Indy gear for a myriad of clients over the last ten years.. Some clients message me and say they really want the gear but just can't buy it all.. So I work with them and they pick up one piece here.. months later when the funds were available they picked up another.. Then I will have a client message me an inquiry.. I give them a price quote and they just easily fire off payment for 3 or 4 full sets of gear like its nothing to drop $500-$1k on 1/6 Indy belts and holsters.. (must be nice ! Because I'm telling ya' If I had that kind of hobby cash flow, I'd have those custom Skyfall heads ! :wink1: ) But all that to say... it has been 10 years here on this board trading tips, showing off work, drooling over others' customs.. One thing for certain.. there's always an even better custom just a few months away... Just when I think Ive seen the best yet.. Someone tops it. And raising the bar, well, that's a great thing..

Last edited:
Well said

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Although a small detail, one of the things that jumps out on this jacket as really getting the dead on Raiders jacket look is the collar and the sleeves being bunched too.. Man I'd give anything to be able to sew like that.. Ive looked into classes even, but I can only imagine the time it would take to get to that level of skill... Maybe one day when I retire ! :lol

I also think it's a lot of dough for a 1/6 jacket but when you think of it as "art" it becomes a lot more palatable. These jackets are hand-made by a skilled craftsman. I can't afford it but I can sure as heck appreciate it.

One of those jackets is a gift for someone by the way ...

That's so thoughtful of you! Thank you!

Haha, anyway, the only thing I don't like about the price is that I don't want to pony up that much cash. But that's my problem, not Kato's.

The jacket looks amazing, especially the back... but I do think it is still too short. I'm certain Kato did his measurement conversions correctly, as his eye for detail is dead on, but when its done and sitting on the 1/6th body and the material is bending instead of laying flat... it looks a bit short to me. Then again, so do almost all other jackets I've ever seen. Maybe it me. :D

That said, this is the best Raiders jacket I've seen yet. And yes, I wish I could have one.

I get it.. but again... I'd love an Omega watch.. but the one I'd love to have is around $10k ! Is there $10k worth of materials in it.. nope.. brand recognition, quality, craftsmanship.. yup.. Will I ever own it.. big nope :rotfl I've got kids and I am a single dad.. So like that Kato jacket to you (and I) it's "bit much".. For other's - not at all.. But back to the watch comparison.. Same here really.. Kato's name has become synonymous with meticulously accurate and fine detailed work.. He is essentially a brand name now in 1/6 clothing.. Materials cost is irrelevant in 1/6 custom work.. how much does the resin cost to cast one head ? Little of nothing... but an artist can do ONE hand made piece, then just make a mold and easily sell copies of their one piece for well over $100 each.. Potentially making thousands for creating one head sculpt.. So it has never really been about materials cost, but rather you pay for the talent and most importantly the time.. As for the "it's 1/6 not 1/1" I get that too - thus I didn't even pay the $300 for the first run as I can buy a 1/1 Wested leather Indy jacket for that.. I've done Indy gear for a myriad of clients over the last ten years.. Some clients message me and say they really want the gear but just can't buy it all.. So I work with them and they pick up one piece here.. months later when the funds were available they picked up another.. Then I will have a client message me an inquiry.. I give them a price quote and they just easily fire off payment for 3 or 4 full sets of gear like its nothing to drop $500-$1k on 1/6 Indy belts and holsters.. (must be nice ! Because I'm telling ya' If I had that kind of hobby cash flow, I'd have those custom Skyfall heads ! :wink1: ) But all that to say... it has been 10 years here on this board trading tips, showing off work, drooling over others' customs.. One thing for certain.. there's always an even better custom just a few months away... Just when I think Ive seen the best yet.. Someone tops it. And raising the bar, well, that's a great thing..

Yeah, I get that too. It's like buying a $10 shirt with $100 worth of logo sewn on it. It's there for those that can and do. What I'd always get when trying to bring my Indy in on a budget I was comfortable with was "Why aren't you using such and such!?". Simple answer, money!

If people want to spend mega money on an Indy, I'm not gonna stop them! There are other ways of getting what you want though, and we shouldn't be made to feel inferior if that's the route we choose.

While we're talking mega priced 1/6th Indy... it's still my absolute dream if one of those companies like "Go Truck" would do a 1/6 replica (screen accurate) of the German Cargo truck... That would be the absolute coolest 1/6 Indy display ever... Fill it with german troops crawling out the side etc..

Here's the modern deuce and a half they did... (if you aren't familiar with their stuff)

https://www.timewalkertoys.com/HMMWV-Go-Truck-1-6-Scale-Metal-Vehicle-p/gtr-016-009-mvm35.htm

I agree with Kato's jacket being spectacular. If I could afford one I would get it. Mike I think a 1/6 german truck would make a great display too. I would love to pose Indy in front of the wheel before he slides under the truck. Mike are you still making Indy gear? I need to get a temple of doom set at some point if you are.

The truck would be awesome but would be massive and take up a lot of room.
You could get so many different poses. Indy on the white horse chasing it, hanging off the front, being dragged at the back etc.

The choice of leather that Kato has picked is superb.
I'm holding out all my hopes on the Arnie Kim 1/4 scale. His prototype looks fantastic

20181223_173823.jpg

1546877707850.jpg

Back