1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense taken Rorywan.

It's a private commissioned repaint and the client didn't want a sunbathed drenched in gloss look.

I agree the sculpt isn't spot on, but that's why we do customs that match what we would like to see.

(..i don't think anyone would want a "sunbathed drenched in gloss look", just one that looks like a realistic Indiana Jones!)

..ouch!, sorry, I was just trying to be constructive..! :monkey3
I could answer in an equally smart way but I've mellowed in my old age..
so..:peace
:lol:rotfl

Last edited:
It looks good and the time and talent involved in the customizing of it are commendable and the HT is a nice sculpt, but if you put a picture of Ford anywhere near the HT it just shows how off it is. Some pics make it look better than others but I think between a good paint up of the SSC or WGP the HT is third or fourth choice for me.
I was hoping somone would find a way to switch the PERS to the SSC or WGP sculpt.

Wow. That would require some microsurgery! No idea how you would even begin to do that. Dremel down to within a 1/16 of an inch of each eyelid and make it spherical I guess.:panic:

Bizzarely, I thought about how to do this before, I think you would have to resculpt the eyelids, not sure it would be worth trying to get in from behind the head, you would probably end up with a cleaner head if you just bit the bullet and cored out a tube wide enough for the PERS, then sculpt back over them from the front? it would be a complete pain to do, but could be possible.. if you have a week free to work on it!

Does everyone hate the SSC German Indy sculpt? I have it as my place holder (WGP should have replaced it by now...) This is obviously not a very good pic (Satipo as co-star) - should take some better ones to give it it's due.

I just never see it discussed or even mentioned, let alone repainted so I assume it's sort of dismissed. To me it's not a terrible likeness if you can pin the jug ears and get around the bad factory paint (drunk driver eyes) over some decently flesh toned PVC...

satipo6-1a_zps21b631fa.png

I'm not familiar with that one, doesn't look bad there, certainly more like Ford than HT's. Anymore pics?

Does everyone hate the SSC German Indy sculpt? I have it as my place holder (WGP should have replaced it by now...) This is obviously not a very good pic (Satipo as co-star) - should take some better ones to give it it's due.

I just never see it discussed or even mentioned, let alone repainted so I assume it's sort of dismissed. To me it's not a terrible likeness if you can pin the jug ears and get around the bad factory paint (drunk driver eyes) over some decently flesh toned PVC...

satipo6-1a_zps21b631fa.png

I would actually say it's the best of the bunch, better than original sideshow Indy. I had it on my custom Indy for something like two years. The two problems are: it's seriously oversized and the eyes are too large and that's why I changed to WGP. Here are pics of my repaint:

drjones010_zps9298eca4.jpg

drjones009_zps8651e0f4.jpg

drjones008_zpsc02e30bf.jpg

drjones001_zps4b661a37.jpg

If Small Studios or SilentSurfer did a paint up of that sculpt I'd like to see it.

It's likely that sculpt got largely ignored because the whole rest of the figure was a joke and people were busy being wooed by what HT were up to. When the MMS's started coming out from HT, suddenly SSC didn't seem so hot anymore.

I've never owned the German Indy... but it being oversized seemed to be the consensus. Although initially a lot of people used it since the stock paint was much better than the original Indy.

And you're right about the bodies being underscaled... Sideshow really messed up with the initial release of the Pro. It' a good body for a figure like Luke, but Lando or Indy need at least a standard height body. Couple that with a larger noggin and you're in trouble.

There's no denying that's a really nice paint job. However, you'll never bring Ford out in a sculpt that never looked like him in the first place. It's always reminded me of a Gerry Anderson puppet from the Joe 90/Captain Scarlet era.

The first time I repainted my SSC head, I didn't strip the original paint and the paint I did didn't come out shiny. It did when I stripped that and took away the factory paint when I did so though.

I sometimes think that Trev's sculpt gets an unfair ride because it's Sideshow and everyone's opinion is that they'll never be as good as HT.

I think my biggest problem with the Sideshow head is too many people try to prop it up because it was sculpted by Trevor. If you use Murderofcrows example and compare the SS sculpt to photos of Ford it doesn't hold up. The prototype sculpt that went to China MIGHT have been off the chain, but what came back was not. The photo that was posted from SDCC was probably an in house casting from the original sculpt that was used as the display figure. When you look past the mediocre paint job you can see that the sculpt is off model from the way Ford looked in Raiders. It all boils down to what you like. I'm sure there are lots of people that have stock Indys from SS and HT in thier displays that they are perfectly happy with. The rest of us strive for something more. It seems like everyone's opinions of what defines more or better are vastly different. In the end if each of us is happy with our own version of Indy it shouldn't matter what other people think of it?

All SSC heads are larger in general than HT heads (and way larger than say SS) but I really don't agree that they are seriously oversized in general or this one in particular.

The original SSC bodies were WAY underscale (I use them for shorter character customs.) Lando came out not long after this and it was the same deal - people said the head was too big, but it was the body that was too small. The Lando head works great.

I have this on a Soldier Story body and it looks 100% perfect proportion-wise, even with that slightly odd "too short torso" and caved-in areas in front of the shoulders that the Soldier Story bodies have.

The pic above is totally unfutzed (Indy was a supporting player for my Satipo photo shoot) - look at the jacket/shirt collars.

Not sure about the too-large eyes - I'd have to take a better look. It's not something I've thought when looking at it - only that he has bloodshot orbs due to the SSC paint!

I'd rather have a slightly oversized sculpt than an undesized one but this sculpt is too large imo. It's bigger than original sideshow Indy. You can see in my pic how small sideshow's hat is when sitting on that sculpt. That was one of the things that kept bugging me about this head.

I've got German Indy and I can attest that the sculpt is too big, made even more obvious by the small body. The regular SSC Indy head is definitely too big on the original Pro body, but looks pretty good scale-wise on the Pro 1.2 with the longer torso and wider shoulders. However, the German Indy is still larger than that. And yeah, there's something funny going on with his eyes. I always thought it was the paint apps, but maybe Mighty Jabba is right and they're too large. Otherwise it's a great sculpt and the overall paints are pretty good with the newer SSC technique of casting the head in the proper skin color and the nice subtle 5 o'clock shadow. I still like it and display it proudly with the rest of the SSC Indy series.

I would actually say it's the best of the bunch, better than original sideshow Indy. I had it on my custom Indy for something like two years. The two problems are: it's seriously oversized and the eyes are too large and that's why I changed to WGP. Here are pics of my repaint:

drjones010_zps9298eca4.jpg

drjones009_zps8651e0f4.jpg

drjones008_zpsc02e30bf.jpg

drjones001_zps4b661a37.jpg

That actually looks quite similar to the serious WGP head, doesn't it?
I wonder if it was a starting point for them?
:dunno

I think my biggest problem with the Sideshow head is too many people try to prop it up because it was sculpted by Trevor. If you use Murderofcrows example and compare the SS sculpt to photos of Ford it doesn't hold up. The prototype sculpt that went to China MIGHT have been off the chain, but what came back was not. The photo that was posted from SDCC was probably an in house casting from the original sculpt that was used as the display figure. When you look past the mediocre paint job you can see that the sculpt is off model from the way Ford looked in Raiders. It all boils down to what you like. I'm sure there are lots of people that have stock Indys from SS and HT in thier displays that they are perfectly happy with. The rest of us strive for something more. It seems like everyone's opinions of what defines more or better are vastly different. In the end if each of us is happy with our own version of Indy it shouldn't matter what other people think of it?

I disagree with most of this... sure Trevor working on it has some effect; but for me and clearly others it's still the best looking sculpt after a repaint. But I don't think it's just a case of hero worship.

I do think the shrunken PF can be better... but my understanding is the versions I've seen that really stood out (Marfmaster for example) had a massive amount of refining done after the cast was made.

This type of thinking contradicts the unsolicited negativity you periodically bring to this thread.

Back