1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, bottom line, he's not called Figuremaster because he won some prize or achievement, it's who he's known as and it's not some title to be won.

No artist is ever the best simply because no technique is ever 100% to the satisfaction of 100% of the world, something will always be not good enough or just not to the liking. I've seen art that is technically sound but I find no appeal in it. Quality of an artist is defined by the viewer.

As members of this forum, we are privileged to have a great diversity of artistic styles from the numerous artists here and for the most part, there's something for everyone.

The opportunity is for all these artists to gather, share techniques, learn from each other, better themselves from the experience and create a stronger offering.

Every artist on this board, whether their medium is photos, computer graphics, paint, sculpting, whatever, should only be encouraged and critiqued in a constructive manner which has the ultimate goal of helping the artist to grow. If someone's methods, technique or whatever isn't to your liking, there's no need to be critical of it, it's not for you. I'm not a Picasso fan but I wouldn't have spoken to him deragatorily about his work, I'd have just paid him no mind and encouraged those whose techniques I liked and wanted to see take their methods to the next level.

This board is a great place, but at times I see less room for artists to be artists and more demand for commercial satisfaction. Don't kill the art around here, let it grow. It's a garden of artists around here, just pluck the ones you like and leave the others in nature to grow and flourish in their own ways.

Sweet post from a gentle person.

But why see it as a problem to give an opinion when someones posts photos of his work, especially when he offers his brush for money?
This doesn' need to be bad in any way, only polite discussion.
People should be free to post what they think as long as their intentions are good, not?

Yes, encouragement is good, construction of the message should carry positivity. There's no need for comparitive/competive comments along the lines of "there's a new king of the hill" or things to that extent, it's enough to simply say, _______, you have an amazing talent and I consider you the best artist on this board. Keeping other artists out of comments where the comment could be construed as deragatory is for the best. Even if the intent is not to put down the artist, reading those comments can be discouraging. Art is always about trying to be better with your next piece, and the worst feeling you can get is reading things that make you feel like all your efforts to better yourself are for nothing. To read high praises for other artist just makes you feel a need to step up your game, but when you're brought into a questionable comparison/competition, it can leave you feeling like your best will never be good enough and make you lose the will to try, and persevering past that can be a long road. I've been there.

I'm not trying to sensor opinons, just encouraging a manner of expressing them that is conducive for everyone. Artists' greatest asset is their viewer's, we have the power to support and help them grow or to bring them down, and there's so much talent here, I'm just trying to preserve that the viewer's work to keep them all up and that no one gets dragged down.

Yes, encouragement is good, construction of the message should carry positivity. There's no need for comparitive/competive comments along the lines of "there's a new king of the hill" or things to that extent, it's enough to simply say, _______, you have an amazing talent and I consider you the best artist on this board. Keeping other artists out of comments where the comment could be construed as deragatory is for the best. Even if the intent is not to put down the artist, reading those comments can be discouraging. Art is always about trying to be better with your next piece, and the worst feeling you can get is reading things that make you feel like all your efforts to better yourself are for nothing. To read high praises for other artist just makes you feel a need to step up your game, but when you're brought into a questionable comparison/competition, it can leave you feeling like your best will never be good enough and make you lose the will to try, and persevering past that can be a long road. I've been there.

I'm not trying to sensor opinons, just encouraging a manner of expressing them that is conducive for everyone. Artists' greatest asset is their viewer's, we have the power to support and help them grow or to bring them down, and there's so much talent here, I'm just trying to preserve that the viewer's work to keep them all up and that no one gets dragged down.

Not having the intentions to make a top 10, but I don't see a discouraging problem when people compare the work of people who charge money for their services.

Too many times sadly enough.

Wish it stopped also.

Well, if Arnie Kim was so concerned about it, I'm certain he would be more proactive in stopping it since apparently, they're everywhere. Most of the people you ask state they get them from ebaY and ebaY's great for shutting down those types of auctions. All it would take is Arnie emailing them with the auction link and providing proof that it's a recast.

Well, if Arnie Kim was so concerned about it, I'm certain he would be more proactive in stopping it since apparently, they're everywhere. Most of the people you ask state they get them from ebaY and ebaY's great for shutting down those types of auctions. All it would take is Arnie emailing them with the auction link and providing proof that it's a recast.

Do you think Arnie Kim has nothing else to do than searching ebay to find recasts of his work?
How reluctant will he become to sell his work in the future you think?

The last month many post were made concerning these recasts and almost nobody finds this a problem.
If no one tells what it means, people keep buying these recasts and will feed the recasters.

Seriously, I really think these recasts show no respect to him and/or his work.

Believe me, in the end it ruins all the fun.

Recast are trash and do not belong on the boards.

Do you think Arnie Kim has nothing else to do than searching ebay to find recasts of his work? How reluctant will he become to sell his work in the future you think? The last month many post were made concerning these recasts and almost nobody finds this a problem.
If no one tells what it means, people keep buying these recasts and will feed the recasters. Seriously, I really think these recasts show no respect to him and/or his work. Believe me, in the end it ruins all the fun.

Recast are trash and do not belong on the boards.

Recasting is wrong, when it's of a legitimate, licensed/authorized sculpt. Is it any more wrong for a sculptor stealing the likeness of an individual without his/her permission for profit? Arnie's sculpt was unauthorized and actually pulled from SDCC because of it. So I don't see the harm in people stealing a sculpt from someone who stole the likeness to begin with.

Recasting is wrong, when it's of a legitimate sculpt. Is it any more wrong for a sculptor stealing the likeness of an individual without his/her permission for profit? Arnie's sculpt was unauthorized and actually pulled from SDCC because of it. So I don't see the harm in people stealing a sculpt from someone who stole the likeness to begin with.

It still sounds wrong to me.

He only made a few of these figures for an inner circle of friends.

And to follow your explanation, doesn't a recast steal a likeness or is it authorized?

It still sounds wrong to me.

He only made a few of these figures for an inner circle of friends.

And to follow your explanation, doesn't a recast steal a likeness or is it authorized?

I seriously doubt that. He had several Harrison Ford likenesses along with a Tom Hanks likeness (also unauthorized) on display at the Enterbay Booth at SDCC 2006. Why would he showcase them in the company booth if they were private commissions?

And again, Arnie Kim ripped off Harrison Ford's likeness for profit (beit potential or actual). In my book, he deserves to lose profits to recasts. Besides, he has no legal grounds for any type of suit anyway because said sculpts were UNAUTHORIZED.

I seriously doubt that. He had several Harrison Ford likenesses along with a Tom Hanks likeness (also unauthorized) on display at the Enterbay Booth at SDCC 2006. Why would he showcase them in the company booth if they were private commissions?

And again, Arnie Kim ripped off Harrison Ford's likeness for profit (beit potential or actual). In my book, he deserves to lose profits to recasts. Besides, he has no legal grounds for any type of suit anyway because said sculpts were UNAUTHORIZED.

Don't agree and no longer am going to argue with you.

Sorry.

Don't agree and no longer am going to argue with you.

Sorry.

No need to argue. Here's a quote from Action Figure Insider:

"Katching Brands

Newcomers Katching Brands astounding con-goers with their uncanny 12" Bruce Lee figures (by Arnie Kim of Enterbay) that were on display. Even freakier were the Harrison Ford and Tom Hanks 12" figures... that sadly were actually unauthorized and had to be removed after the first day. Still, that Bruce Lee is something else!

They also are going to be distributing a whole bunch of Urban Vinyl lines. I'm not sure exactly what these guys are, so let's let their website do the talking. And if that's not enough for ya, go check out Vinyl Pulse's coverage of them.
"

Here's the link to the article from AFI: link

No need to argue. Here's a quote from Action Figure Insider:

"Katching Brands

Newcomers Katching Brands astounding con-goers with their uncanny 12" Bruce Lee figures (by Arnie Kim of Enterbay) that were on display. Even freakier were the Harrison Ford and Tom Hanks 12" figures... that sadly were actually unauthorized and had to be removed after the first day. Still, that Bruce Lee is something else!

They also are going to be distributing a whole bunch of Urban Vinyl lines. I'm not sure exactly what these guys are, so let's let their website do the talking. And if that's not enough for ya, go check out Vinyl Pulse's coverage of them.
"

Here's the link to the article from AFI: link

Just to let you know I read this post and I still do not agree. (on your arguments for seeing no problem in recasting)

Please convince me I am wrong.

They're both thieves. What's the difference?

Excuse me, do I understand you say Arnie Kim is a thief?

His figures were removed, but where was it stated thet were offered commercially - or were they displayed only to show his work and let people see what is craftmanship is to give his Bruce Lee more attention?

Well, bottom line, he's not called Figuremaster because he won some prize or achievement, it's who he's known as and it's not some title to be won.

No artist is ever the best simply because no technique is ever 100% to the satisfaction of 100% of the world, something will always be not good enough or just not to the liking. I've seen art that is technically sound but I find no appeal in it. Quality of an artist is defined by the viewer.

As members of this forum, we are privileged to have a great diversity of artistic styles from the numerous artists here and for the most part, there's something for everyone.

The opportunity is for all these artists to gather, share techniques, learn from each other, better themselves from the experience and create a stronger offering.

Every artist on this board, whether their medium is photos, computer graphics, paint, sculpting, whatever, should only be encouraged and critiqued in a constructive manner which has the ultimate goal of helping the artist to grow. If someone's methods, technique or whatever isn't to your liking, there's no need to be critical of it, it's not for you. I'm not a Picasso fan but I wouldn't have spoken to him deragatorily about his work, I'd have just paid him no mind and encouraged those whose techniques I liked and wanted to see take their methods to the next level.

This board is a great place, but at times I see less room for artists to be artists and more demand for commercial satisfaction. Don't kill the art around here, let it grow. It's a garden of artists around here, just pluck the ones you like and leave the others in nature to grow and flourish in their own ways.

that's exactly what i meant. But MaulFan said it much, much better. :duff

Now, who's for a group hug :grouphug

Excuse me, do I understand you say Arnie Kim is a thief?

His figures were removed, but where was it stated thet were offered commercially - or were they displayed only to show his work and let people see what is craftmanship is to give his Bruce Lee more attention?

He stole Ford's likeness man. He didn't have permission to use it, the pieces were clearly product being displayed at a booth at SDCC until removed because they were unauthorized sculpts of an actor's likeness. Personally, he could've gotten the same attention by taking the authorized sculpt of Bruce Lee and putting him in several different outfits spanning his acting career (that's what he did with Harrison after all). I'm sorry if you can't see that your hero isn't as kosher as you'd like. Stealing a likeness is still stealing. And because of that, he has absolutely no rights to control the sculpt from being recast.

Last edited:
Someone get me some Kim heads so I can cast the **** out of them. Kim stole someone elses likeness and now people are stealing his. Seems fair.

Last edited:

This is what I've been wondering the whole time. Now, I don't think he deserves anything necessarily, but the fact is it's an unauthorized sculpt. If anyone's truly being victimized, it's Lucas & Ford.

Also, if you ask me the Kim sculpt has been pretty well-guarded by collectors. It's a tool move to say that no one deserves to have one in their collection. They're obviously falling into the right hands because they're still not easy to come by.

Someone get me some Kim heads so I can cast the **** out of them. Kim stole someone elses likeness and now people are stealing his. Seems fair.

:rotfl

Back