1/6 Hot Toys - VGM18 - Batman: Arkham City: Batman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See? DC is getting fisted by Marvel.

Coming from the guy with a marvel signature.

If dc made actual movies that where successful hot toys would make the figures. If people bought them at the same rate they did marvel hot toys would make them.

Decided to cancel. This is not going to fly off the shelf. It will probably get discounted and I can get it cheaper. Not to keen on the rubber suite.

The wait for this figure is excruciating. Rocksteady studios managed to finish making a whole new game faster than it takes to get figure out. I'm less optimistic about the Joker ever being made. :(
For a whole new generation of systems, nonetheless.

They're not exactly keeping up with their VG line, or even Batman for that matter. Besides this, where are the "Returns" figures? :dunno

It breaks my heart that HT treat video game licenses so poorly. I see stuff like this, and I'm just like "Why, Howard!?! Whyyyyyyyyy!?!?!"

k1g50t1sbe.gif
wiiwrifutw.gif

7x1ge0w9hd.gif
N4zZqndbcR.gif

Oh man, I would get ALL the Arkham Knight figures if Hot Toys made them. That being said, the odds being hit by an asteroid are higher than HT ever making them. Shame on you, Howard!

It breaks my heart that HT treat video game licenses so poorly. I see stuff like this, and I'm just like "Why, Howard!?! Whyyyyyyyyy!?!?!"

k1g50t1sbe.gif
wiiwrifutw.gif

7x1ge0w9hd.gif
N4zZqndbcR.gif

I totally feel where you're coming from with this. The Arkham series had such great potential to be a worthwhile
Hot Toys property. Four highly acclaimed games since 09 with unique character designs of one of the hottest and
marketable character in DC. Yet since HT was to short sighted and to preoccupied with chasing the Marvel/Iron man/Nolan
train, this particular property turned into a completely wasted opportunity.

Oh man, I would get ALL the Arkham Knight figures if Hot Toys made them. That being said, the odds being hit by an asteroid are higher than HT ever making them. Shame on you, Howard!

Yep, sadly. Oh well, I'll live vicariously through my brethren from Earth 28 (that's the Earth where Howard was crazy about this stuff and we even got an AK Batmobile).:lol

hopefully hot toys makes the arkham knight batman, also the new arkham knight batman outfit will definitely rule out the use of rubber suit :hi5:

I totally feel where you're coming from with this. The Arkham series had such great potential to be a worthwhile
Hot Toys property. Four highly acclaimed games since 09 with unique character designs of one of the hottest and
marketable character in DC. Yet since HT was to short sighted and to preoccupied with chasing the Marvel/Iron man/Nolan
train, this particular property turned into a completely wasted opportunity.

Just becuase you want it doesn't mean hot toys is short sighted. They put out one character from the franchise and after a year and a half up for sale it still had not sold out. Where marvel characters sell out in days or weeks. You can say it's becuase people didn't like the suit or it didn't look right or whatever you want. But since it would be the same people making it they have to plan that the reception for any future release would be recieved the same.

This is not about what Howard loves. It's about what sells, what marketing is available, and the way the license holders charge and aprove. Those are the largest pre-pro factors. Then it's about engineering and tooling.

They gave this franchise a shot/try with the lead character. It didn't sell well enough to justify additional resources. It's that simple.

Coming from the guy with a marvel signature.

If dc made actual movies that where successful hot toys would make the figures. If people bought them at the same rate they did marvel hot toys would make them.

You misunderstood. I want DC to get fisted by Marvel. They deserve it right now with their piss poor 'Joker' reveal.

Just becuase you want it doesn't mean hot toys is short sighted.

What I may " want" is not even relevant to my point. The point I was making was that HT dragged their feet with
a batman Arkham teaser that went on for over a year. Four games later they have yet to release a single figure from
a current and highly acclaimed Batman VG series when they've had ample time to capitalize off the successes of those
titles. And it's not only pertaining to this particular title, but many titles in the HT catalogues.

They put out one character from the franchise and after a year and a half up for sale it still had not sold out.

What character from the Batman Arkham VG series has been released? Because that's what I was referring to.

Where marvel characters sell out in days or weeks. You can say it's becuase people didn't like the suit or it didn't look right or whatever you want. But since it would be the same people making it they have to plan that the reception for any future release would be recieved the same.

Some Marvel products sell out within days or weeks. Some have lingered for months on end, not that it has any relevance as to why HT never took it upon themselves to capitalize off the success of the Batman Arkham series. Add to the fact that many like to see pics and reviews of the final product before pulling the trigger on any purchases.

This is not about what Howard loves. It's about what sells, what marketing is available, and the way the license holders charge and aprove. Those are the largest pre-pro factors. Then it's about engineering and tooling.

Not this again:slap. I'm fully aware of everything you've mentioned. And it's not as though Batman isn't a marketable product, especially if its from a highly acclaimed VG that has spawned 4 games in the last 5-6 years. Yet I'm not going to sit up and debate about pre-pro factors, because if any of it wasn't viable HT likely would have never even bothered.

They gave this franchise a shot/try with the lead character. It didn't sell well enough to justify additional resources. It's that simple.

I'm curious as to why you keep saying that. The figure has yet to be release. Not to mention they teased it for over a year, before actually revealing it. Thus I don't see how that qualifies as "giving this franchise a shot". I'm not going to rule out anything just yet.

Last edited:
Video game fan or not, so far I think this is the best looking Batman figure to date. It's a nice blend between being comic booky and realistic. It's nicer to me than the Nolan Batman movie suits and the new Snyder suit. It also looks more realistic than sideshow's classic Batman while still giving a nod to the comic design. I love it and pre-ordered the minute I new it was up. I seriously hope this comes out and doesn't get shelved for some reason. And I do own the 1st 2 games, Arkham Asylum, and Arkham City. Never picked up Origins. To me the 2nd coolest would be the Burton costumes so I'm also considering the Batman Returns Keaton figure if that ever materializes. So far the only Batman I own is the Bruce Wayne/Batman Begins toyfair exclusive. Which i may sell after this comes out.

What I may " want" is not even relevant to my point. The point I was making was that HT dragged their feet with
a batman Arkham teaser that went on for over a year. Four games later they have yet to release a single figure from
a current and highly acclaimed Batman VG series when they've had ample time to capitalize off the successes of those
titles. And it's not only pertaining to this particular title, but many titles in the HT catalogues.

What character from the Batman Arkham VG series has been released? Because that's what I was referring to.

That's not entirely accurate. Not all HT Marvel releases are instant sell outs. Some have lingered for months on end, not that it has any relevance as to why HT never took it upon themselves to capitalize off the success of the Batman Arkham series.

Not this again:slap. Batman does sell, especially if its from a highly acclaimed VG that has spawned 4 games in the last 5-6 years. It's not like there isn't a market for Batman and VG collectors, thus the "it's about what sells" is somewhat of a moot point.

Once again, what Batman character from the Arkham series has been released by Hot Toys and is currently lingering?
And how exactly did they "give it a shot" when they kept a teaser for over a year?

What figure has been out and lingering? This one. I did not say the figure hit market. Outside of a few rare figures the time from license aquired to figure in hand for a new 1 off body is all fairly close. Including the marvel stuff.

I did say that this figure has been up for order. Which it has.

As for your argument that batman sells. Sure. He does. But not every version. And despite your claims, video game merch does not sell near what movie figures do. That's why they did more Nolan. That's why they are devoting resources to current theatrical releases. To use that hype and marketing. Your average fan is not near as interested in VG characters. Yes, this franchise has done well in its own market. But it was outsold by plenty of games that don't get figures.

There's a window when a figure first goes up for sale when hot toys can/will adjust production up based on quick sales movement. For a figure that is still a ways out anyway. Based on data mining and sales, over 10 years worth of releases, they have a pretty good handle on which figures are going to be successful just from those first few months or weeks or quarters of PO sales.

No, all the marvel stuff does not sell out. But a fair bit does. And those that don't have reused tooling that drops cost on manufacturing. It also has a much simpler and streamlined license procedure and one that requires payment and approval through a single entity (marvel) where DC products generally have at least two and often times more. Video game based on DC has even more confusing set up.

So, given a much harder and longer approval and licensing process...a smaller target audience, less overall built in marketing, a PO that was up for a year and a half and did not sell out, sub par online attention and comments, limited reuse of parts...why again was/is hot toys short sighted?

You made a snarky comment about what I said in response to a snarky comment about this not being used right becuase it's not Howard's fav...if all he did was push just his fav it wouldn't be marvel. Howard Chan is a die hard Star Wars fan. It above all else. Yet hot toys produces two or three times the marvel stuff. Not because of some crazy conspiracy or incompetence or lack of vision...they do it because it is simply the best seller with the easiest licensing and most reusable parts/tooling. Or, to put it simply, it makes the most profit. And for a business, isn't that the point?

Places like neca and a few others can take larger chances becuase they produce larger quantities and cheaper products. People are more likely to take a flyer on a 70 dollar neca figure then a 200-300 dollar hot toys one. And if necas figure bombs it costs them much less and has less potential then if hot toys does. Neca also has a built in retail market that off sets the risk and cost. You can buy neca stuff in barnes and noble for petes sake. Hot toys does not have that cushion.

People act like hot toys is stupid and they have no idea what they are doing and it's all emotional and they only make figures from marvel and all kinds of stuff like that. But hot toys had managed to turn themselves into the top 1:6 company on the planet. And the industry standard for both production (paint/assembly/QC/ect) and detail. So maybe, just maybe, consider they may not only know what they are doing, but know more then us.

I think one of the biggest problems with pre-orders lingering is due to the fact now that it can take up to a year or longer for the item to come to market. That is an awful long lead time for any product. Most collectors that have been in this category know that. Then couple that with NRD's and having to lay out 10% in advance for something you may not see for a year +. And finally that often the prototypes differ from the final product (sometimes for the better, sometimes not). So it makes sense that a lot of collectors have cut back on pre-orders so not to be locked in on something with a non refundable deposit and they want to wait for final in hand product photos. Plus throw in the sideshow monthly coupons and you know if you wait it out a few months your'e at least guaranteed a $20 price cut. Too much to think about. Gives me a headache sometimes!! :lol

As for your argument that batman sells. Sure. He does. But not every version. And despite your claims, video game merch does not sell near what movie figures do. That's why they did more Nolan. That's why they are devoting resources to current theatrical releases. To use that hype and marketing. Your average fan is not near as interested in VG characters. Yes, this franchise has done well in its own market. But it was outsold by plenty of games that don't get figures.

Despite what claims? I never claimed VG merchandise sold more. That wasn't even remotely my claim.

So, given a much harder and longer approval and licensing process...a smaller target audience, less overall built in marketing, a PO that was up for a year and a half and did not sell out, sub par online attention and comments, limited reuse of parts...why again was/is hot toys short sighted?

Here's the thing though. Batman already has a built in fanbase regardless of the medium in question. Sure VG may not be on the same plateau as the cinematic medium, but it doesn't need to be. We are not talking about some random garden variety VG with no pre-existing fanbase. Secondly a HT Batman figure based on a popular game would carry on a much broader appeal than lesser known VG properties. Why do I consider HT short sighted? Because it's a high end collectible company that has practically watered itself down and reduced itself as nothing more than a glorified version of Hasbro, this is of course my personal opinion. The real question you should be asking is why do you even care about another individual's personal opinion on a company.

You made a snarky comment about what I said in response to a snarky comment about this not being used right becuase it's not Howard's fav...if all he did was push just his fav it wouldn't be marvel. Howard Chan is a die hard Star Wars fan. It above all else. Yet hot toys produces two or three times the marvel stuff. Not because of some crazy conspiracy or incompetence or lack of vision...they do it because it is simply the best seller with the easiest licensing and most reusable parts/tooling. Or, to put it simply, it makes the most profit. And for a business, isn't that the point?

Nope, that never happened. I never made a "snarky" comment in response to anyone, period. You on the other hand have been snarky from the onset. Truth be told I never even read your comment up until now. I was specifically agreeing with poster batfan08 sentiments regarding the Arkham series and the unrealized potential in it. While my response was to An entirely different poster, you decided to chime in by replying to me, I never replied to you. Then you, for whatever reason took it upon yourself to brazenly leap to the erroneous conclusion that 1. My comment was snarky and 2. It was directed towards a comment you said prior. Judging by your post history one can easily see you take issue with anyone voicing any type of displeasure with the way HT does things. Now if this is a problem there are ways to remedy this. You can just simply ignore those comments or remove yourself from any discussion that may lead towards it, that is if you're going to take it that personal.

Last edited:
Back