1/6 Hot Toys - VGM18 - Batman: Arkham City: Batman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - VGM18 - Batman: Arkham City: Batman Collectible Figure (Specs + Pi

Considering the popularity of the Arkham franchise, it will sell despite the inaccuracies/issues.

Yes. And with that idea in mind, a v2 or BD will be made as well. Hopefully then he'll be wearing a mos like fabric instead of fat rubber suit.

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - VGM18 - Batman: Arkham City: Batman Collectible Figure (Specs + Pi

Wouldn't mind an Arkham Origins figure. Kind of like the DC Collectibles version, only twice the size. I prefer that look to this one.

Considering the popularity of the Arkham franchise, it will sell despite the inaccuracies/issues.

Yeah, the DC Collectibles figures sell really well for this series. I think the Arkham Asylum/Arkham City/Arkham Origins/Arkham Knight line is their largest series collection to date, selling to casual and diehard fans alike.

I wouldn't expect a second version of this figure, though. I'd think we'd be more apt to see an Arkham Knight version of Batman, or maybe one from Arkham Asylum. Arkham City is easily the best game so far, but Hot Toys would sell more figures if they chose a slightly different version of Bats for the next go round. I probably wouldn't be a buyer for two Arkham City Batmen, but I'd buy a version of him from one of the other games, and I'm sure there are others out there like me.

The torso looks good. It's the chunky legs and giant underpants.

Out of all the Bat-product shown by Hot Toys at Comic Con, this one seemed the least ready for primetime. Why offer this one for pre-order first? Seems like he really could have benefited from some additional work, despite the near-perfect head sculpt.

I guess they didn't want this to get lost in the shuffle. They'll probably put up the PO for the Gordon/Blake/Bat Signal set next and close out the year with the PO for DX15.

I quoted his first post word for word. He asked a question. Two questions. He didn't insinuate anything until others insinuated he was dumb or ignorant because he was a noob or whatever.

As for hot toys having a bad record..sure. But what the cause of that record is, is in fact speculation not fact. Unless I missed where a scientific study of the rubber used under lab conditions had been completed and published.

The causes could in fact be environmental , on a brand new unopened just got it today figure. As they have to travel from the factory, and before and after travel sit in warehouses. A humid or hot shipping container or a very cold or hot plane cargo hold, or non climate controlled tractor trailer could be responsible. As could improper storage at the retailer or thru eBay dealers. The fact that it's not anywhere near universal means it's not confirmed as hot toys. If it where cheap material used every figure would have the same problem.

So hot toys may have a bad reputation, but reputation is often wrong and biased.

As for husky and bullied as you stated...you said it not me. The first post, as I copy/pasted in my last posting (in the quotes) didn't insinuate anything about anybody, it asked a couple of questions about topics raised. It was not until it was insinuated that husky was deficient in some way, maybe because he was new, that he/she lashed out. Fairly normal and predictable behavior. Again I ask, what from that first post was bad? If your friend or family member signed up for this forum and posted that question would you do anything but either politely answer the question or ignore it if u where "bored".

No, I am still waiting for somebody to answer my question or prove my point wrong.

As stated in my prior posts, I assume many members had there figures posed wrong. The stress of the rubber on the pointed joints, like knees and elbows, combined with the unproper conditions the figures were shipped in and displayed in, caused the rubber to crack.

I feel sad for many members who are using Hot Toys as a scapegoat for there mistakes...

Thank you. As you said, I tried searching the forum. I tried other blogs and sites and although I stumbled across a few pictures, I did not find the information I was looking for. I did ask questions, but then was ridiculed for post count and join date. I apologize if I sounded rude.

Hey guys I hate to take this thread off focus again but I felt compelled to address Huskie and Motuxmen on the matters of legitimacy in rubber concerns, and more importantly the N word... no not that one Newb.

Something all new members should Know

It seems to me that the true root of both of your frustration is the noob status deligated to new members with a low post count (nobody likes being called the N word). This bothered me a lot to when I first joined, but you both have to understand that even though you may be just as smart as anyone here, your still very ignorant to the way this forum operates. Reputation is very important to be taken seriously here. As I see it our members are made up of producers and consumers. Many of the more distinguished "vets" such as (Elvis1976 or Robbiethepainter, etc) are clear producers. They do a lot of great custom work and bring about innovative ideas to improve our collectibles. Their are many more than just the two I mentioned, and you don't necessarily have to do great custom work to produce here as their are countless things that can be brought to the table be it photography, reviews, display ideas etc. So if a new member brings a lot to the table then they will likely be taken more seriously despite low post count (this is rare).

Also SSC is one of the larger if not largest forums for statue/high end figure collectors, so their is plethora of varying demographics being represented here. With that being the case you just have to except that your going to have to deal with a lot of negative and many times illogical opinions. If you always feel the need to prove your self right your going to argue more than anything here, and it quickly becomes an exercise in futility. Add to all of this the fact that high end figure collecting has had a massive wave of new collectors come to the table. It's great that more people have come to appreciate these figures the way we do, but it can be tedious dealing with their newbile questions, and perspectives on high end figures. Because I to really hated the whole newb thing, I try be patient and helpful with new members as do others of the more seasoned members. I also try not to call some one out just for being a new members. You can not expect this from everyone especially the 5+ years members. This brings me to the posts above preceded by your initial question huskie.

Answering your question
So are these rubber concerns about the figure legitimate? Are people just overreacting? Or are people just being absurd displaying there figures in a warm environment?

Either way, easy pre-order. Should look awesome.

I research and do what I can to contribute to my hospitals evidence based practice database. If your familiar with evidence based practice you know the level of scrutiny to publish these articles is border line absurd. To answer your question "are their legitimate concern?" well, yes and no. These HT figures are produced in china, so very little is known for sure about the actual methods and material that go in to these figures. We don't even know how many of anyone figure is actually produced. Given the limited scope of our hobby their is very little incentive to commit time and money in to research in hopes of producing empirical data to support our complaints. If empirical data is what you require than no there is none to directly discredit hot toys rubber.

I realized very quickly you can not apply this level of scrutiny to this hobby. Because of this it is on all of us to look at the data we do have and make our own conclusions. I have been collecting for 5 years and it is my opinion that the rubber concerns are very legitimate. I have seen many informed members who I'm almost certain take good care of their figures have similar issues to myself with hot toys rubber.

The information you have brought to the table (extreme/stagnate posing, light/ heat exposure, and environment) is all very common knowledge to experienced collectors. I don't know many experienced members who don't have at least mild concerns with hot toys rubber. Granted some may overreact and many forget to analyze the pictures and consider the circumstances, but I have and I still actively avoid rubber bodies and costumes.

The most recent issue with the ED-209 domes has very much galvanized my resolve on the matter. These domes deteriorated very rapidly and in higher numbers than I have seen before in hot toys. Many who I consider distinguished vets to this forum and hobby had this problem. This in particular disturbed me because I know that these guys know how to treat their figures, and it is highly unlikely this was some how their fault or just a random occurrence. You ask your question at a time when concern for hot toys rubber is at its highest, and beginning to seem very legitimate.

@Huskie I know you and Motuxmen think you were victimized for asking a question, but the only remotely negative reply was DiFabio "Ah, the naivety of newbs" This is passive aggressive at best, and given the nature of your question and another new member immediately posting after you also dismissing the rubber speculation I agree with DiFabio. It was not till your second post (below) that anyone started taking a dig at you

I sure would like to see some pics of this "rubber deterioration" everyone is talking about. To go along with these pics, an explanation of how and where the figure was displayed. I mean I really hope people don't display there figures directly under a light for months to years on end in the same pose. Or I hope people do not constantly mess with the figure five times a day for a year. I think improper knowledge of the collectors of how/where to display and handle high end figures are the problem here, not hot toys.

I hope that what I have written above can give you some perspective on how rude and ignorant this comes off. As a new member if you really want to be taken seriously here you are going to need to learn how to ask questions and assert your opinion more delicately. Not to be harsh but it's posts like this that give new members a bad name around here.

17678e88a4f94a03e6c11722084ef882.jpg

:lol:lol:lol

Good post btw, pretty much explained whats goin on, for a newb who just joined 2011 you are a quick learner. :lol

Listen people, all that above - nice, but unnecessary.

Huskie was given friendly advice - EARLIER. Sure, we chuckled a bit, but it wasn't mean spirited, just the usual forum banter.
Using the appropriate forum etiquette when you're new is just common sense; asking the right kind of questions, etc. If he wants to dismiss the suggestions & input from more seasoned collectible owners, it's on him. Huge hand holding posts won't help if he's adamant that the vets have had it wrong all this time. :lol

Last edited:

Just like every other walk of life, seniority matters. Us new guys have to take our lumps every now and then.

Huskie was given friendly advice - EARLIER. Sure, we chuckled a bit, but it wasn't mean spirited, just the usual forum banter.
Using the appropriate forum etiquette when you're new is just common sense; asking the right kind of questions, etc. If he wants to dismiss the suggestions & input from more seasoned collectible owners, it's on him. Huge hand holding posts won't help if he's adamant that the vets have had it wrong all this time. :lol

Ah, I see. You still relate join date to intelligence.

It is funny how no one has answered my question with legitimate knowledge, they are just assuming they people take care of there collectibles.Yes, I blame Hot Toys for the ed209, everything else i blame shipping and display errors. Of course people will not take blame for there incorrect display practices.

Hey guys I hate to take this thread off focus again but I felt compelled to address Huskie and Motuxmen on the matters of legitimacy in rubber concerns, and more importantly the N word... no not that one Newb.

Something all new members should Know

It seems to me that the true root of both of your frustration is the noob status deligated to new members with a low post count (nobody likes being called the N word). This bothered me a lot to when I first joined, but you both have to understand that even though you may be just as smart as anyone here, your still very ignorant to the way this forum operates. Reputation is very important to be taken seriously here. As I see it our members are made up of producers and consumers. Many of the more distinguished "vets" such as (Elvis1976 or Robbiethepainter, etc) are clear producers. They do a lot of great custom work and bring about innovative ideas to improve our collectibles. Their are many more than just the two I mentioned, and you don't necessarily have to do great custom work to produce here as their are countless things that can be brought to the table be it photography, reviews, display ideas etc. So if a new member brings a lot to the table then they will likely be taken more seriously despite low post count (this is rare).

Also SSC is one of the larger if not largest forums for statue/high end figure collectors, so their is plethora of varying demographics being represented here. With that being the case you just have to except that your going to have to deal with a lot of negative and many times illogical opinions. If you always feel the need to prove your self right your going to argue more than anything here, and it quickly becomes an exercise in futility. Add to all of this the fact that high end figure collecting has had a massive wave of new collectors come to the table. It's great that more people have come to appreciate these figures the way we do, but it can be tedious dealing with their newbile questions, and perspectives on high end figures. Because I to really hated the whole newb thing, I try be patient and helpful with new members as do others of the more seasoned members. I also try not to call some one out just for being a new members. You can not expect this from everyone especially the 5+ years members. This brings me to the posts above preceded by your initial question huskie.

Answering your question

I research and do what I can to contribute to my hospitals evidence based practice database. If your familiar with evidence based practice you know the level of scrutiny to publish these articles is border line absurd. To answer your question "are their legitimate concern?" well, yes and no. These HT figures are produced in china, so very little is known for sure about the actual methods and material that go in to these figures. We don't even know how many of anyone figure is actually produced. Given the limited scope of our hobby their is very little incentive to commit time and money in to research in hopes of producing empirical data to support our complaints. If empirical data is what you require than no there is none to directly discredit hot toys rubber.

I realized very quickly you can not apply this level of scrutiny to this hobby. Because of this it is on all of us to look at the data we do have and make our own conclusions. I have been collecting for 5 years and it is my opinion that the rubber concerns are very legitimate. I have seen many informed members who I'm almost certain take good care of their figures have similar issues to myself with hot toys rubber.

The information you have brought to the table (extreme/stagnate posing, light/ heat exposure, and environment) is all very common knowledge to experienced collectors. I don't know many experienced members who don't have at least mild concerns with hot toys rubber. Granted some may overreact and many forget to analyze the pictures and consider the circumstances, but I have and I still actively avoid rubber bodies and costumes.

The most recent issue with the ED-209 domes has very much galvanized my resolve on the matter. These domes deteriorated very rapidly and in higher numbers than I have seen before in hot toys. Many who I consider distinguished vets to this forum and hobby had this problem. This in particular disturbed me because I know that these guys know how to treat their figures, and it is highly unlikely this was some how their fault or just a random occurrence. You ask your question at a time when concern for hot toys rubber is at its highest, and beginning to seem very legitimate.

@Huskie I know you and Motuxmen think you were victimized for asking a question, but the only remotely negative reply was DiFabio "Ah, the naivety of newbs" This is passive aggressive at best, and given the nature of your question and another new member immediately posting after you also dismissing the rubber speculation I agree with DiFabio. It was not till your second post (below) that anyone started taking a dig at you

I hope that what I have written above can give you some perspective on how rude and ignorant this comes off. As a new member if you really want to be taken seriously here you are going to need to learn how to ask questions and assert your opinion more delicately. Not to be harsh but it's posts like this that give new members a bad name around here.

Considering everyone who posted laughed at me like I am an idiot, yeah, if people want to be ignorant... I can be to. So don't sit there typing saying people were not negative, because they were and still are.

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG.

Post before and after pics of the rubber deterioration. Lets see the pose of the figure, the climate it is displayed in and lighting over figure.

Until then, the claims of FIGURES deteriorating, are just those, claims.

Keep going, you're becoming quite the novelty here now. :lol

Keep going, you're becoming quite the novelty here now. :lol

Oh no, I am going to start crying because I care what people think of me on a toy site.... oh no, please, noooo.

(sarcasm)

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - Batman: Arkham City: Batman Collectible Figure (Specs + Pics)

I'm in the minority here, I think the head sculpt looks amazing but that overly rubbery body looks more bloated than built. Sadly after waiting all this time I'm afraid I will be passing on this guy.

Unfortunately, I agree. Not loving the little hands either.

Considering everyone who posted laughed at me like I am an idiot, yeah, if people want to be ignorant... I can be to. So don't sit there typing saying people were not negative, because they were and still are.

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG.

Post before and after pics of the rubber deterioration. Lets see the pose of the figure, the climate it is displayed in and lighting over figure.

tropic-thunder-quotes-54 (1).jpg

pretty sure I covered all of this extensively in my post. You clearly have nothing to offer so I think we're done here....

Your completely right, but in all honesty I really didn't think it would help. I've been thinking about a lot of that stuff for a while and just felt like putting it out there. No matter what you do the internet is still full of critics without credentials.

With apologies to Randy Newman:

He's got little hands, and little eyes, go 'round sporting great big thighs...

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG.

if i remember correctly, the first 2 batches of the TDK DX 02 figures, and Robocop ED figures were the worst hit with rubber deterioration issues. On the DX02, it was the abs section that was constantly leaking oil. I think that was definitely an error on HT's part, because the leakage happened on the abs (non-movable portion of a figure), even with the figure displayed on the table with no exposure to harsh lighting whatsoever. HT acknowledged (not with an open letter of course) it and rectified the issue by changing the abs section from rubber to, if I'm not mistaken, ABS plastic for the 3rd & final batch (for American customers). I purchased the DX 02 from an American retailer and I believe it must have come from that 3rd batch as the abs did not exhibit any issues. As for the ED-209 figs, well I think you could find pics of the rubber either cracking or peeling away from the dome of the figure's head on this forum or on Google or Youtube.

That said, I think HT has, for the most part, dealt well with the rubber issue since the DX02 fiasco. I have the DX09 for 2.5 years now (in a display case with a silica gel packet inside) and there has been no signs of rubber deterioration nor oil leakage till today. And long may that continue!

Back