1/6 Hot Toys - TMS116 - Ahsoka series: Grand Admiral Thrawn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve read on another 1/6 thread that one potential collector is asking about the missing tubby belly.

Told that collector that the tubby belly has been digitally removed for teases and that the final product will have it. If not, then that person can buy an extreme fat suit and add it on upon getting it.

I honestly would like a slim trim Thrawn for display. I hope HT doesn't make it more accurate this time. I do like idealised depictions so long as they are recognisable. I know many folk would complain if ANH Vaders helmet was symmetrical but I would see a symmetrical helmet as what was intended and so correct even if not screen accurate (the props were hand made in a rush so came out asymmetrical, they weren't meant to be though).

I honestly would like a slim trim Thrawn for display. I hope HT doesn't make it more accurate this time. I do like idealised depictions so long as they are recognisable. I know many folk would complain if ANH Vaders helmet was symmetrical but I would see a symmetrical helmet as what was intended and so correct even if not screen accurate (the props were hand made in a rush so came out asymmetrical, they weren't meant to be though).

If you go by that logic everything could be changed up, because maybe it wasn't meant to look like it did. I mean, who would determine how something should look like or what the 'correct' look would be.

What counts for me is what I see on screen. An asymmetrical helmet.

That was Kuill for me. When he released I was all in. Now, even though he is a great figure, I lost interest. Other figures got announced that take precedence. Also, I’m completely out of space.

I get what folks are saying - waited over 2 years for Ragnarok Loki - but for me, opening that box up, it's sort of reminds me of what I cared about in the first place.

(I'm behind the hype curve a lot now; got Kuill on order 'coz IMO you can't have a season 1 & 2 Mando display without Kuill. Din D'jarin would still be stuck on Aravala -7 without Kuill - IMO one of the most noble characters ever introduced in SW (btw some good 30% Spooktacular deals on some SW at moment). I don't usually sell tho so it had better be something I think justifies long term shelf space. )

So I get to annoy Ahsoka show fans 'coz I think the show is pretty limp and would have been a lot better focused on the Rebels crew instead of the unkillable Ahsoka:stake. And it's pretty hilarious when my first intro to a "live" Thrawn is the animated and now fans are pondering whether their fig will have a paunch, to be screen accurate.:monkey3 I enjoyed the show but it's - just - OKish. IMO this fig - by default - just doesn't come with much, either.$$$$

I'll get Ezra and probably Chopper if released, and maybe Baylan and Shin, just for my "Jedi" shelf.

I honestly would like a slim trim Thrawn for display. I hope HT doesn't make it more accurate this time. I do like idealised depictions so long as they are recognisable.

IMO a chunky Thrawn on the shelf is getting close to fat Thor. Or that big head Grand Inquisitor. I can't get past the animated characters I was introduced to. Hera looks like Hera. Zeb looks like Zeb. Ezra's been living rough so I can deal with that. Sabine looks like Sabine. Etc.

So I get to annoy Ahsoka show fans 'coz I think the show is pretty limp and would have been a lot better focused on the Rebels crew instead of the unkillable Ahsoka:stake. And it's pretty hilarious when my first intro to a "live" Thrawn is the animated and now fans are pondering whether their fig will have a paunch, to be screen accurate.:monkey3 I enjoyed the show but it's - just - OKish. IMO this fig - by default - just doesn't come with much, either.$$$$

I'll get Ezra and probably Chopper if released, and maybe Baylan and Shin, just for my "Jedi" shelf.

IMO a chunky Thrawn on the shelf is getting close to fat Thor. Or that big head Grand Inquisitor. I can't get past the animated characters I was introduced to. Hera looks like Hera. Zeb looks like Zeb. Ezra's been living rough so I can deal with that. Sabine looks like Sabine. Etc.

I liked the Ahsoka series, but in terms of figures for me it's been a gateway to getting Rebels characters. I think Hot Toys' Hera and Sabine (and obviously Chopper) will still work if pushed back ten years. They could stand alongside the Rogue One characters.

I don't really like Rosario's 'too smug' Ahsoka anyway, so Hot Toys' TCW Ahsoka will fill that role with Hera, Sabine and Chopper.

Thrawn is an odd one because I always think of him in relation to the 1990s Imperial Remnant envisaged by Timothy Zahn, rather than his animated Rebels appearance.

Either way (Zahn's Remnant or Rebels) he was slim with characteristically angular and alien features. Ideally the production version of the HT won't be live action gut accurate, though there isn't much they can do about the face.

Lars is fairly lean so I was surprised by the ‘gut.’ It didn’t even occur to me that would be a possibility with the way he looked at celebration earlier this year.

lars-mikkelsen-star-wars-celebration-2023.jpg

I feel the fit of the uniform didn’t do him any favors. Slight older guy paunch, sure but not someone I’d call fat. Hopefully his next appearance will look better in that regard. Thought he looked fine facially. Any shots of mid chest and up looked just fine. Just the full body shots looked awkward.

Yeah this one - being a basic human (blue as he is) fig in a fairly simple uniform/outfit with a few basic accessories certainly at $255 points up the new era of pricing.

Fifteen years ago the roughly equivalent Sideshow Piett (basic imp dude in uniform with a few accessories) was $70. Different era and somewhat lower level of cut/sew and sculpt/paint, though Piett goes for around $250 these days and displays fine next to HT figs, so obviously not completely night and day difference in quality.

I prefer the clean look and no beer belly of this prototype one but if they changed I won’t buy it.
Got my custom one for years now and happy to keep it as a placeholder or permanent Thrawn, if they change HT version it to be more screen accurate.
IMG_4988.jpeg

Same reason people constantly say how much they love the show and how a character was portrayed every time a new figure gets released. if you want an artificially positive safe space to ooze how much you like a show without dissent there are places for that (Star Wars Leaks on Reddit for example is often toxically positive). For those who hate any positive remarks about modern disney Star Wars there are places too (Saltier Than Crait on Reddit for example). This forum is great because it is more balanced and folk can disagree. If you do not wanna read the comments you can skip past them or use some of the many overly positive places for a nice comfortable echo chamber experience. That also applies to those who just hate everything modern star wars too.

I loved Andor, great show. Less toyetic for sure but still some great figure potential (ISB officers, Imperial army troopers (Cassian even wears the uniform so 2 for 1 there), Cinta in rebel wetsuit, flashback clones, Corporate security uniformed Syril, B2-EMO etc could all do well. I disliked the Ahsoka show overall despite some good elements but boy is that show toyetic and so far all the figures look great. Would be nice if we could get a show as well written as Andor but as toyetic as Ahsoka with the swashbuckling adventure of the Mandalorian. then everyone would be happy.
That's why we're all still chasing that OT high...it had that :)

That's why we're all still chasing that OT high...it had that :)
yup. writing perhaps wasn't super strong but certainly was better than 90% of Disney era Star Wars. OT really was the golden era. in the 40 years since we have been patiently waiting for a return to that. multiple movies and shows later we got close a couple times but never truly hit it again.

Those exposed wrist joints are going to drive those meticulous collectors if Thrawn is posed in those “chess playing modes”.

I honestly don’t think about it, however is there a possibility that the end of the sleeves might be a bit longer to cover those unslightly exposed joints? I know that uniforms are usually tailored to fit and to exact specifications.

Yeah, it has the swashbuckling and is toyetic though the writing was awful a lot of the time so there is room for a show/movie to be far better.
Actually I was saying The Mandalorian (mostly Season 1 and 2) has the swashbuckling and the writing. That's why I said it isn't as "toyetic" as Ashoka.

Actually I was saying The Mandalorian (mostly Season 1 and 2) has the swashbuckling and the writing. That's why I said it isn't as "toyetic" as Ashoka.
I disagree on the writing actually but we can both agree it had swashbuckling action. not as toyetic as Ahsoka but it did have tons of toy potential still so quite toyetic (mandos, droids, troopers etc and of course baby yoda)

Back