1/6 Hot Toys Rogue One: JYN ERSO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think those who devote their lives to learning the craft of acting would probably tell you to **** off for saying they "play pretend" for a living.

I think those who devote their lives to learning the craft of acting would probably tell you to **** off for saying they "play pretend" for a living.

I imagine they probably would because it succinctly puts into perspective what Hollywood is.

It's by no means an attack on the craft of acting itself by saying it requires no talent. I certainly can't act a lick and there are many great actors and actresses out there. However, to be realistic, what they are doing is putting on a costume and entertaining people by acting out a fictitious reality. That's realistically what we as an audience are paying them to do.

If by "succinctly putting something into perspective" is stripping everything of worth with a tone of sarcastic simplicity, sure. Ok.

If by "succinctly putting something into perspective" is stripping everything of worth with a tone of sarcastic simplicity, sure. Ok.

No worth is being stripped. As mentioned, it's not an attack on the craft itself because I certainly can't act and there are tons of great actors and actresses out there. But let's not pretend we're paying them for something other than to simply put on a costume and entertain us by acting out a fictitious reality, a career which they voluntarily chose.

It's like saying all a violinist does is stand on a stage and scrape a piece of wood over horsehair....

If you don't see how referring to actors as doing nothing but "playing pretend" is stripping the craft of any worth and belittling it's practitioners, you and I will just have to agree to disagree and move on. :duff

If you don't see how referring to actors as doing nothing but "playing pretend" is stripping the craft of any worth and belittling it's practitioners, you and I will just have to agree to disagree and move on. :duff

No worries. If you feel you're spending your money to see them do something other than put on a costume and act out a part in a fictitious universe to entertain you, we can agree to disagree. :duff

I think I'd rather meet someone at a convention rather than see them in the street and be that annoying person who goes up for a selfie. Knowing my luck I'd get someone having a bad day and they'd tell me to **** off!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'd rather buy a figure of my favorite character she played, thus having a mini-her on my desk/shelf for years to come!

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

One of the main reasons actors charge for their autograph is re-sellers. It’s because some people out there only get autographs just to sell them, or as an investment. Buying and selling autographed items is a big business. I know a lot of celebrities will only sign if it’s “to” someone, as opposed to just the signature, because they suspect that if the person only wants their signature, it’s because they intend to sell it. Autographs that are not “to” anyone sell for much higher prices than ones that are inscribed to a specific person.

So I can’t say I blame them for charging, especially since they never know if the person they’re signing for is going to turn around and make hundreds off the autograph.

I personally wouldn’t pay for an autograph, but that’s just me being cheap. I have just a few autographs from musicians, a couple from formal signing events, and one from meeting the band backstage. And I once got a friend (who worked at the venue) to get Robert Wagner’s autograph when he was promoting his autobiography for my mother who is a HUGE RW fan. I must say I was very happy I was able to do that for her!

Whenever I go to a Comic con, and see a guy at the signing table with a card that says, 'stormtrooper # 3 and At-At Driver #2' and are asking $40 for an autograph, I literally LOL at them

Personally I'm not big on autographs. I've worked in the events industry most of my adult life and therefore had the opportunity to get a few, but it just seems like a bit of an invasion of a person's privacy if you run up and ask.
There was only one occasion however when I did think about it and sort of regret not making an exception to my rule and running over and asking...Footballer Henrik Larsson was backstage at an event I was working on just after he left Celtic for Barcelona...And one of my uncles was such a great fan of his and of Celtic that it would have made him weep for joy.

I recall being at a sports card convention with my dad when I was younger to meet and get the autograph of an NHL player (don't recall who it was). While there, there was a table in the corner with a gentleman sitting at it ready to sign autographs, with utterly nobody around his table. Curious, we went over to talk to him and see who it was and it turned out it was David Prowse. Of course, nobody knew who he was being that he was actually inside the armor. Being that we didn't have any items of our own that we brought for him to sign, he signed a few Vader photographs for us that he had there on hand at the table there for free. Really nice guy from what I remember.

I don't know maybe she would be worth meeting........

IMG_2700.jpg

Felicity I feel is going to be in the same vein as a Sam Worthington. Like Sam when he starred in Avatar, Felicity was the heroine in a one off film from a huge franchise, so her popularity is high at the moment and like Sam, will be sought after for a couple of years after the big film she starred in, then her popularity will wane.

Moral of the story, will that picture and autograph be worth remotely anywhere near $450 10 years from now? 5 years from now? Probably not. Already isn't worth that right now, in my opinion. She's probably just trying to capitalize on her current popularity when it's at its peak and where people will be willing to pay that with R1 fresh in their minds.

That's a sort of insulting comparison to Jones. :lol

As more Star Wars movies come out (hopefully good ones), it's likely that Rogue One will indeed fade in people's minds. I agree that now is certainly the time to capitalize on things like merchandise, autographs. Strike while the iron is hot, etc, which is the exact business model of all of Hot Toys new movie figures and why the OT has taken a backseat.

Jones has shown she can act, and with greater range than an actor like Sam Worthington, who seemed generic and forgettable even when he was having his moment. My guess is she's playing ball this year since she's supposed to be continuing to promote the movie. She might be considering this a one and done type of thing, but who knows.

The only problem with that argument is that, yes she starred in a Star Wars one off, however, Star Wars is one of the strongest franchises ever

No matter what role someone played in any or one of the films, there's a fan of that said character. From small cameos to the bigger stars, if you made it into a SW film you're set for life if you play your cards right.

Also she has another film on her contract leading people to believe she'll show up in one of the other possible side story films.

This whole argument versus buying or not buying autographs and photo ops are moot points.

People are going to buy what makes them happy. I've bought a few in person autographs in my time but prefer to have the photo ops as a cool moment in time where I met a actor or actress I really like and admire.

Another thing you must keep in mind is that the actors or actresses do not control the prices. That comes down to their agents that set the cost. How they come up with their numbers? I have no idea.

I'm not trying to excuse crazy high prices. I'm just saying the actor or actress aren't to blame. That being said, I'm sure they know what the prices are and if they wanted to, could speak up and change something if they wanted to. That's just speculation on my part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back