1/6 1/6: Hot Toys - MMS470 - Black Panther - New Black Panther Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was kind of wondering if I just need to charge the phosphorescent paint on the figure with direct sunlight.

The figure doesn't use "glow in the dark" phosphorescent paint, its just UV fluorescent paint. Phosphorescent "glow" paints can be charged rapidly with UV lights, true, but that is a specific subset of UV reactive materials that will hold uv radiation and emit visible light slowly. Many many more things will simply fluoresce only when exposed directly and continuously under UV light. Hell, urine will fluoresce under UV. And scorpions.

UV light is also damaging to a lot of things, leaving anything with it on for long periods will age the hell out of these figures. Same reason sunlight will rot plastic, fade paint, and harden rubber. Also burn skin, damage eyes... I think HT is not thinking through using so many UV effects lately, encouraging prolonged UV exposure to a bunch of thin rubbers and plastic like telling people to line up their toys in front of the furnace.

And like batteries, these figures use the cheapest LEDs possible, they will not last. If you really want a a bright glowing display, buy proper UV bulbs. Then use it sparingly, not all day.

The figure doesn't use "glow in the dark" phosphorescent paint, its just UV fluorescent paint. Phosphorescent "glow" paints can be charged rapidly with UV lights, true, but that is a specific subset of UV reactive materials that will hold uv radiation and emit visible light slowly. Many many more things will simply fluoresce only when exposed directly and continuously under UV light. Hell, urine will fluoresce under UV. And scorpions.

UV light is also damaging to a lot of things, leaving anything with it on for long periods will age the hell out of these figures. Same reason sunlight will rot plastic, fade paint, and harden rubber. Also burn skin, damage eyes... I think HT is not thinking through using so many UV effects lately, encouraging prolonged UV exposure to a bunch of thin rubbers and plastic like telling people to line up their toys in front of the furnace.

And like batteries, these figures use the cheapest LEDs possible, they will not last. If you really want a a bright glowing display, buy proper UV bulbs. Then use it sparingly, not all day.

Wow, good points. Tho I think HT has a read on most - not all - of its buyers. E.g. a lot of folks will switch out their collections in a few years anyway, except maybe the IM collectors. So they don't care as long as they made a sale for something that looks cool. I still flinch watching vids about the rotting rubber on some Alien figs.

Bad idea, don't use direct sunlight for anything on these figs.

Yeah I know. Was just thinking for an hour or so. I ended up putting it under some white LEDs for about an hour and I actually think it might be a bit brighter. I think I might try with a bigger black light and see if that makes a bigger difference. Can't believe they have LED bulbs that burn out that quickly so weird.

Yeah it?s actually NOT an issue with the included lights, it is the paints used. I was supplementing the included lights with a UV spot light for the head and noticed it was not glowing as brightly as it used to. A few months ago I found a deal on a parted out head and when I received the new head, I was blown away by how much of the purple reactive paint had been burned off my original one. I definitely agree with rocbolt that HT’s really seem to not be thinking this through. Then again, maybe using the cheap stuff that burns off gives people incentive to buy more than 1 :dunno :mad: :cuckoo:

Chemist here, biological but studied fluorescent and phosphorescent particles at one point.

Big difference is that phosphorescent = glow in the dark, fluorescent = reactive glow on the absorption of energy, with BP we are using pigments that are the latter of the two.

Both rely on an initial source of energy, but the difference is that phosphorescent pigments "capture" their initial energy (charging your item) and slowly emit it as the particles relax from an excited state (glowing), this is why glow in the dark things get dimmer and need recharging. Fluorescence on the other hand is immediate emission of that energy that is being received, which is why BP glows only under the right light wavelengths.

Either way, there is a degree of life on all of these pigments. I am not a material scientist but I do know that the glowing ability of many compounds in either camp will degrade with repeated use, and this is a simple case of how many particles of pigment could feasibly be on these figures? I mean think, the paint coating which suspends that fluorescent pigment on the suit and figures is essentially micrometers thick, if not thinner. The less there are, the faster it's going to "die" over time. That's a limfac of nature, not HT.

Sorry guys, forgive my odd question, but what is the global consensus between this figure and the first black panther? I have the Civil war version, but I've never been too happy about the torso proportions, but I feel like the suit on the second versions is kinda boring, but I haven't seen it in hand.

What do you guys think? Is it worth the change?

(just as additional info, I would be selling my version to buy the new one from a friend of mine, so I won't need to pay anything for it. I'll just be replacing the old one for the latest version)
Thanks!

Sorry guys, forgive my odd question, but what is the global consensus between this figure and the first black panther? I have the Civil war version, but I've never been too happy about the torso proportions, but I feel like the suit on the second versions is kinda boring, but I haven't seen it in hand.

(just as additional info, I would be selling my version to buy the new one from a friend of mine, so I won't need to pay anything for it. I'll just be replacing the old one for the latest version)
Thanks!

I don't own the CW BP but I felt the same as you when I was debating whether or not I should get the new one. It felt pretty "meh" design wise compared to the previous but in time I realized the 2.0 is definitely superior as a figure and the design also grew on me.

If I were you, I'd sell the CW one and get the 2.0. It would be a great deal to have it basiacally replaced for free.

BTW if it's anything to you, the new suit also took part in both Infinity War and Endgame which makes it that more important; that's a total of 3 different movies that featured this same suit.

Thanks!

Yes, in my opinion it?s worth the change. The suit is not at all boring in hand. So many details on the suit it?s crazy. Better proportions on the body too. You can?t go wrong. Only thing I?d say is superior on V1 is the helmet but that?s not Hot Toys doing.

Thanks!

I have both figures (actually looking at them now as I pose them) and the Civil War is the better figure, IMO. Debating selling the 2nd suit. Posed up with Killmonger, the Civil War suit scales and matches his intimidating look better.

Yes, in my opinion it?s worth the change. The suit is not at all boring in hand. So many details on the suit it?s crazy. Better proportions on the body too. You can?t go wrong. Only thing I?d say is superior on V1 is the helmet but that?s not Hot Toys doing.

I have both figures (actually looking at them now as I pose them) and the Civil War is the better figure, IMO. Debating selling the 2nd suit. Posed up with Killmonger, the Civil War suit scales and matches his intimidating look better.

Having both as well I?m definitely firmly in the same camp as Rbeato. Everything about the new version is better in my eyes and looking at everyone together, I would actually put T?Chaka above CW BP because of the fabrics and the pants help hide the odd proportions. Honestly, the 100% 3rd party King of Wakanda figure (I?m using the old KO head that was released years ago because it looks better than the HT?s BP head on that set) is the weakest of all the BP associated figures but the CW BP is the 2nd weakest In my opinion.

Posing the newer BP dynamically under black lights really just makes it look superior in so many ways with the body and suit keeping much better proportions, more mobility and less fabric creases throughout this figure. Regardless of my own biases, I can understand why some like the looks of the CW BP especially in a museum pose because the suit does have some amazing details that do not require any special lights and can look more realistic than trying to simulate a form fitting nanotech costume. I just feel like if you have a real interest in the new one this late after seeing all the pictures, videos and comments, there is a good chance you will appreciate it while knowing what is in store to make it look good on display.

Regardless, the best is EASILY Shuri from the line and all others should be purchased after her since she is one of the nicest releases of 2019 so far out of any line. Just please don?t put both arms straight out in front of her as that pose looks so unnatural and played out. Firing to 1 side, using the spear, the kimoyo beads or just a simple walk look best and keep the attention on that incredible headsculpt like so:

Attachments

• C539056B-C799-4353-9D57-595E9A9FD544.jpeg
    C539056B-C799-4353-9D57-595E9A9FD544.jpeg
    969.3 KB · Views: 326

Could you please post a couple of pics of them next to one another?

I don't own the CW BP but I felt the same as you when I was debating whether or not I should get the new one. It felt pretty "meh" design wise compared to the previous but in time I realized the 2.0 is definitely superior as a figure and the design also grew on me.

If I were you, I'd sell the CW one and get the 2.0. It would be a great deal to have it basiacally replaced for free.

BTW if it's anything to you, the new suit also took part in both Infinity War and Endgame which makes it that more important; that's a total of 3 different movies that featured this same suit.

That is actually something I usually take in consideration. The more films the suit has appeared in, the more 'clasical' I see it, and as a collector that only keeps 1 figure per character, that is something to consider.

I've accepted the trade of Civil War version to the Solo movie version.
Now the question is: I have a custom built display case with custom lightning. Has anyone attempted to instal UV led-strips of any kind in order to see the purple pattern of the suit? I don't really like at all the display UV base the figure comes with, so I'll end up building something that fits my needs.

Thanks guys

This might be the most underwhelming yet impressive figure I've had. From a technical perspective, it's really great...but it does nothing for me. I might even dare to call it boring. I much prefer T'chaka when it comes down to it.

Back