1/6 1/6: Hot Toys - MMS470 - Black Panther - New Black Panther Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chadwick Simpson - the result of Marge's secret affair with Dr. Hibbert...:lol

5d0L.gif

I think the hair is fine. Do you own any HT figures?

I guess you think mediocrity is fine too. :lol

Look at the HD prototype sculpt's hair and then the lousy SD final product hair and tell me that's "fine." Heck, the Marge Simpson hair is better cause at least that's screen accurate! :rotfl

bp compare.jpg

And in response to your question, I'll let Dr. Hibbert answer for me.

giphy.gif

It's HT this is better than 80% of the HS they have done IMO. I had to ask if you owned any just because it seems like you have not seen much of the work HT has done. Trust me this is good for them.

It's HT this is better than 80% of the HS they have done IMO. I had to ask if you owned any just because it seems like you have not seen much of the work HT has done. Trust me this is good for them.

I own about 35 Hot Toys and I would disagree with you that this Chadwick sculpt is better than 80% of HT's body of work. That's quite ridiculous. If anything I would say this Chadwick sculpt ranks in the 20% of when HT has a misfire.

Let me ask you is this Chadwick sculpt better than Tony Stark 46/47, Tom Holland, Hela, Yondu, Star-Lord, Bernthal Punisher, CW Hawkeye, CW Black Widow, Stan Lee, etc. The list goes on and on when HT actually produces a killer good head sculpt.

But if you truly believe this Chadwick sculpt is better than the ones I just listed then you are out of your mind! :thud:

I have over 150 and i have mutiple HS for the ones that have been made more than once. I like to mix things up, make customs, etc. Looks are obviously very objective. My best friend asked me about a girl once that he thought was the most beautful he had ever seen and she was just another girl to me. I (IMO) would say this is better than Star-Lord (I own 1 and 2), equal to Hawkeye, Holland and Hela. Yondu was lightning a bottle, it doesn't get much better (and yes i own all of them).

HT has made about 500 figures so i still would put this above 80% of the ones that have been made with a HS.

Fair point however that's not taking into account that technology has significantly improved since a lot of those older figures have released. If you compare it to almost any of the Civil War sculpts, which are much more recent, it's not quite on par. That's just my opinion though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have over 150 and i have mutiple HS for the ones that have been made more than once. I like to mix things up, make customs, etc. Looks are obviously very objective. My best friend asked me about a girl once that he thought was the most beautful he had ever seen and she was just another girl to me. I (IMO) would say this is better than Star-Lord (I own 1 and 2), equal to Hawkeye, Holland and Hela. Yondu was lightning a bottle, it doesn't get much better (and yes i own all of them).

HT has made about 500 figures so i still would put this above 80% of the ones that have been made with a HS.

Well, this is my analysis (it could be completely wrong, but here we go)...if you own over 150 figures then you clearly are a compulsive buyer. You buy a figure regardless if it's good or not, but because you want it. So for BP 2.0, of course you won't see the mediocre head sculpt as an issue because you own a plentiful amount and a drop in quality will do little to dissuade your purchasing decision.

I, on the other hand, am very selective when it comes to making my HT purchases. My decision hinges on the quality since that is the reason we are paying such a premium on an action figure, or if we want to be brutally honest...A DOLL. If, for whatever reason, I feel like a certain release lacks quality then I will pass. The failed likeness with the Chadwick sculpt, which has been vehemently expressed by others, is the main reason I am passing on this figure, but it certainly doesn't help that HT also cheaped out on parts like using styrofoam for the light stands and then using super flimsy plastic for the base. I simply can not and will not support a product when it is so obvious that the company went the extra step to cut back on quality.

But on another note, your location states "Wakanda." I would say you are especially partial to the BP franchise, so of course you're gonna defend this release warts and all...

That's fair and we all see things differently but over 17 years (since 2000) and 500 figures you don't think this is in the top 100?

Not if the details are as flat as that picture shows, and just to clarify, those 500 releases are just MMS figures, theres been many more from art series, VGM exclusives etc

Well, this is my analysis (it could be completely wrong, but here we go)...if you own over 150 figures then you clearly are a compulsive buyer. You buy a figure regardless if it's good or not, but because you want it. So for BP 2.0, of course you won't see the mediocre head sculpt as an issue because you own a plentiful amount and a drop in quality will do little to dissuade your purchasing decision.

I, on the other hand, am very selective when it comes to making my HT purchases. My decision hinges on the quality since that is the reason we are paying such a premium on an action figure, or if we want to be brutally honest...A DOLL. If, for whatever reason, I feel like a certain release lacks quality then I will pass. The failed likeness with the Chadwick sculpt, which has been vehemently expressed by others, is the main reason I am passing on this figure, but it certainly doesn't help that HT also cheaped out on parts like using styrofoam for the light stands and then using super flimsy plastic for the base. I simply can not and will not support a product when it is so obvious that the company went the extra step to cut back on quality.

But on another note, your location states "Wakanda." I would say you are especially partial to the BP franchise, so of course you're gonna defend this release warts and all...

To be honest i see faults in everything i own. House could be better, vehicles could be better, food could be better, Phone, tv, computer, healthcare, airline i fly and every single one of my figures could be better.

These are made by humans and i don't expect perfection from anything made by one of us. 5 million dollar cars are not perfect, 200 million dollar jets designed by the best minds are not perfect. I just cannot pass on something I THINK is cool because others who i will never see find a fault.

Like i said earlier one of my favorite Cap figures is the Rescue Cap. I got it when i just started collecting and on release it got the same hate this is getting. So i panicked and canceled my order. Then people got in him hand and loved it so i took a chance and bought it and it is the one Captain America figure i would never sell. The figure OVERALL is just amazing to me the HS is not up to todays standards but i would keep it over Yondu (and i think Yondu is the best HT has done).

I collect a figure because of how much i enjoyed the film, I how much i like the charcter, what scene(s) does the figure portray, what accessories does it come with, how does the outfit look, and does it have a likeness to the actor. I mainly collect IM/Stark figures (over a 3rd of my collection) and most of the HS that came with those look NOTHING like RDJ (some real warts with his HS :lol) but it doesnt take away from my enjoyment of the figures overall.

I agree the stand is cheap and agree you should not buy anything you feel cheated on but i just think the HS is normal HT work. Not Yondu great but not Luke bad. I really hated the outfit on this one until it was released. i thought it was to smooth and did not have the cool detail of the 1st but it's slowly moved me onto the other side of the fence.

Anyway it's really not a big deal (1st world problems) buy and collect what you like and skip what you don't as long as your having fun. I am.:duff

Thanks for posting both images.

The question I'd ask is what's the point of having a finely finished prototype headsculpt if you know the finished product is going to look radically different.

I'm not interested how well HT can make and paint a headsculpt if they have all the resources and time in the world, I'm interested in what the factory line one will look like. Essentially what they're currently doing amounts to false advertising.

And there is a huge difference here. Aside from the obvious paint differences - which are really chalk vs cheese - the mould isn't even the same. Chadwick's mouth is open in the production head and he has a slightly different shaped face, as revealed by the deeper lines around the eye-sockets. It definitely looks less like him than the prototype.

The hair is markedly different.

I think that's the key point, this isn't a tweaking of the original headsculpt, it is clearly a whole new sculpt. Hair, eye shape and position, mouth...ect are all different.

It isn't a terrible headsculpt, but not also not remarkable either. False advertising to be sure from the prototype, which we can see was not intented to reflect the actual product but to get pre-sales up.

For people that buy 150 1/6 figures, I am sure this is good enough. For those with collections sub 50 figures, we might feel cheated.

I no longer pre-order figures anymore, so not a big concern anyways.

I think that's the key point, this isn't a tweaking of the original headsculpt, it is clearly a whole new sculpt. Hair, eye shape and position, mouth...ect are all different.

It isn't a terrible headsculpt, but not also not remarkable either. False advertising to be sure from the prototype, which we can see was not intented to reflect the actual product but to get pre-sales up.

For people that buy 150 1/6 figures, I am sure this is good enough. For those with collections sub 50 figures, we might feel cheated.

Don't forget the homemade Spiderman scuplt. It was blurred out until it was released but he was clearly smiling in it and people (myself included) were disappointed they changed it but it still was fine. I have passed on a lot figures i just don't buy anything and everything i'm not even sure if i'm getting this BP yet.

:lol

really have to disagree

Same here. Have to disagree as well. I wouldn't put it above any sculpt he named. I'm more harsh than gmoney. I wouldn't even put in the bottom 20%. Prob bottom 10% for me. To be clear, I'm talking about likeness. The quality is def a major downgrade from the proto but it's acceptable I guess. However, the likeness to Chadwick is non-existent.

I started collecting when Hot toys were pretty much knocking almost all their figures out the park so I pre-ordered a bunch but after this BP release which I was looking forward to, I won't pre-order anymore. There's no point anyway. With what seems like Hot Toys upping production, almost nothing is selling out before release. I need to see those final production pics before putting my money down from now on.

Take the Headscuplt away. What about the rest of the figure?

The masked sculpt and the body do look very good. Will look good to anyone who displays him that way but I still much prefer the Civil War suit and body shape. Unlike most here, I don't care about a light up suit. A bit gimmicky to me. I like a minimalist display so I don't use bases or stands. All my figures are freestanding. With that said, the light up base does look a bit cheap if I'm being honest.

Take the Headscuplt away. What about the rest of the figure?
Oh well the rest of the figure is an absolute must have for sure. Suit looks much improved from the Civil War version, both in looks and in articulation. Plus although the light up base is made of styrofoam there's no denying it looks amazing on the shelf plugged in with the UV effect.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back