1/6 1/6: Hot Toys - MMS470 - Black Panther - New Black Panther Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good looking sculpt, just not a good looking Chadwick sculpt :wink1:

Well, it was always going to end up in the box anyway, so close enough. Lol

It will be interesting to compare the quality of the sculpt to that of the two Anthony Mackie Falcons, especially the hair. Chadwick’s fro isn’t as tight/neat and I think trying to capture that texture may have also be contributing to it’s less than stellar look.

Well BP 2.0 had plenty of time to get worked on...and well, look how the final headsculpt turned out...

And totally agree that quality matters. It's the reason I purchased Hela. I had no intentions on getting her, but when they put out that amazing headsculpt I couldn't say no! That's the power of quality.

I also had no plans to get IW Bucky, but when I saw the prototype pics I was SOLD! Although if they botch it the same way they did to BP 2.0, then that's gonna be a damn shame.

I was on the edge about Hela...but when reviews came in - and luv the character in film + shelf presence - when I cancelled IW Cap Hela was a no-brainer choice.

Though - like this BP - if I can pick up IW Cap cheap I will. At least BP has a mask.

True re sculpt production tho. What's the point of great protos besides sucking people in - like right now I'm thinking the only "safe" HTs are diecast IMs and War Machine. Huh. I remember getting CW Natasha and being stunned at how beautiful she is. Kicking myself for not getting 2 CW Caps when I could. THAT'S the kind of response you want from customers.

I guess I could get this BP loose and put the OSK CW sculpt on him.:cool: That's a real nice sculpt too.

I guess I could get this BP loose and put the OSK CW sculpt on him.:cool: That's a real nice sculpt too.

Yeah I have that head too and I might use it for the OSK King of Wakanda and HT Throne.

But I won't know for sure until I see the new HT BP head in person, since the CW head had no facial hair.

Attachments

• KingofWakandaOSK.jpg
    KingofWakandaOSK.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 353
  • WakandaThroneHT.jpg
    WakandaThroneHT.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 360
I'm going to pose him with the mask and eyes in. There's something about the eyes staring out of the mask that makes you uncomfortable.

I did state the reason in comments box when I cancelled...but I might just send them an email. Don't expect to get it back, but it won't hurt to ask.

I suggest that you get in touch with them ASAP via chat. I stated the reason on the comments box when I cancelled another order due to how the production piece looked and they did not consider what I said on the comments box. After getting in touch with a rep through chat after a few weeks, I was told that if I got in touch with them via chat within a few days after cancelling, they might have given back my NRD. Email might work too but chat gives you instant feedback.

I suggest that you get in touch with them ASAP via chat. I stated the reason on the comments box when I cancelled another order due to how the production piece looked and they did not consider what I said on the comments box. After getting in touch with a rep through chat after a few weeks, I was told that if I got in touch with them via chat within a few days after cancelling, they might have given back my NRD. Email might work too but chat gives you instant feedback.

They are SUUUUUPER busy right now. I was on hold for 40 minutes today only because I had to make sure my replacement was being processed. They are still catching up on the holidays and phone vs chat makes no difference, took the same amount of time.

My advice, call at exactly 8:30AM PST. If you want to get your NRD back, only way to convince them to try is phone.

New pics are out on the Facebook page! The T’Challa head looks MUCH better in these ones, I think some folks may have been a little quick to judge. I for one am super stoked for this release!

New pics are out on the Facebook page! The T’Challa head looks MUCH better in these ones, I think some folks may have been a little quick to judge. I for one am super stoked for this release!

I dunno man...it still looks off. And I dunno if it's the paint app or whatever, but this head sculpt looks like a blatant toy rather than a miniaturized version of the actor. I got into Hot Toys because of the insane realism of the head sculpts, where they look more like actual photos of the real actor rather than a toy, but it seems like the recent releases are a step backwards in terms of a sense of realism. The IW Cap sculpt totally looked like a toy in every shot and this Chadwick sculpt is no different. :slap

Fair enough! I see where you’re coming from. Personally I think I’m terms of realism, HT has come a long way even in these past couple years. I think BP and IW Cap are much less toyish than most figures from Civil War and before, but I can agree to disagree. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fair enough! I see where you’re coming from. Personally I think I’m terms of realism, HT has come a long way even in these past couple years. I think BP and IW Cap are much less toyish than most figures from Civil War and before, but I can agree to disagree. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lmao. The Civil War line is some of the best headsculpts they’ve ever done. No amount of pics or “lighting” is changing that they just didn’t capture Chadwick in this BP figure. It is a good sculpt of some random black guy though. That’s good enough for most collectors.

Lmao. The Civil War line is some of the best headsculpts they’ve ever done. No amount of pics or “lighting” is changing that they just didn’t capture Chadwick in this BP figure. It is a good sculpt of some random black guy though. That’s good enough for most collectors.

I think saying it looks more like a random black guy is a bit extreme. It doesn't look as good as the prototype, but I still see Chadwick there.

At this rate, I'm waiting for someone to say the swap out eyes for the masked head look wrong. :lol

Funny, when the Civil War version was released most of us wished it had come with a HS, now I wish this just had a figure option for around $220.

Something got lost in production, but something always does even on the best sculpts. There may be a small degree more than usual lost of what ever it is that changed that I can't quite put my finger on, but I wouldn't call this a drastic decline. It's the same sculpt and the only warping I can possibly see id the forehead shrank a little.

He did somehow lose a little youthfulness. I think maybe the eyes look different because the decals didn't mimic the painted eyes on the proto perfectly?

I'm not sure but the best of the pics so far make me feel like this isn't a totally botched effort. We need better pics and video but I think this will be an overall acceptable production decline

I'm sorry, the new pics really make this look like a pretty good sculpt.
I still think the IW Steve Rogers is a good sculpt in-hand, too.

Is it as perfect as prototype, no. But rarely ANY company prototype matches
up to the final product. It is just not realistic.

Seems as if the community is getting more and more critical on every headsculpt.
Until Hot Toys chops off Chadwick's head and includes it in the package with the figure, some people will NEVER be happy.

The Tony Stark 46/47, Tom Holland, Hela, and Yondu are some that come to mind that had amazing protos and amazing final products. Sure the Homemade suit Tom Holland head sculpt changed from smiling to neutral, but the likeness remained in tact.

This Chadwick one went from solid prototype with great likeness to a loss in likeness with the final product. I can't think of any other instance in which the final product ended up worse than the prototype in such a noticeable way!

I'm gonna need to see additional YouTube reviews, but my enthusiasm for this figure has definitely taken a hit. I don't understand how at this point in the game Hot Toys can be so spotty with their quality. They should consistently be getting better and better, not sometimes great, sometimes bad. :slap

Definitely not a fan of the sculpt (looks bug-eyed to me) but I only ever intend to display him with his helmet on anyways, so still pretty excited for the figure! Also for reference I don't have the first one.

Back