1/6 Hot Toys - MMS402/3 - Rogue One - Chirrut Imwe Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Rogue One - Chirrut Imwe Collectible Figure

Oh, we're all so innocent, aren't we? If you invert a racial stereotype and put a reversed-ethnic mirror on a non-white or non-Western person's perspective (to then view the whole thing through a post-colonial view of a post-racial world,) it should be blatantly obvious to you.

If you can't see that, seriously... you're racist.:lecture

I don't see it as intentional racism, I think it's just people being against what seems like pandering to foreign markets, and that may come off as racist. Honestly I think all of this is needless worrying, sure Disney is clearly whoring out Star Wars to at least some degree, but people were just as critical if not more when it came to TFA and that came out just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It had nothing to do with pandering to foreign markets -- it was about how obvious and blatant Disney makes its appeal. The comments were about how Star Wars imagery has always been a mishmash of cultures and archetypes... but now Disney is dumbing it down so the 'type' is purely and singularly obvious... which doesn't fit in with what has come before.

If folks want to blow the racism whistle toot away, it won't hurt my ears. But that's not what this is. A martial arts dude beating down a company of stormtroopers with a stick is about as in step with ANH and convincing as the screen grab below. Say whatever you want but it's an overt square peg round hole appeal to get the eastern world into the box office and into the merchandise. tapatalk_1478982535956.jpeg

I don't know if I'd call it racism. Frankly, the basketball comment was a bit more offensive to me, but it is dumbed down to have one of the Asian fighters be a martial arts blind monk! Hopefully it plays better than it seems in the trailers and has some deeper resolution than just an Asian martial artist.

Last edited:

I don't see it as intentional racism, I think it's just people being against what seems like pandering to foreign markets, and that may come off as racist. Honestly I think all of this is needless worrying, sure Disney is clearly whoring out Star Wars to at least some degree, but people were just as critical if not more when it came to TFA and that came out just fine.

What makes Talibanes comment even more delusional is that I'm of Chinese descent and I was merely pointing out that Disney didn't crack the Asian market with the Force Awakens and so IMO ( and we're all entitled to one ) is why they have chosen to incorporate several Asian characters. But let's just leave it at that, after all we are only talking about a Sci Fi "film" here and unfortunately this looks like just another run of the mill one at that.

they have chosen to incorporate several Asian characters.

But that was never the point of the discussion, just as no other ethnicities were mentioned regarding casting.

It's not the ethnicity of the cast -- it's the fact that Disney put an Asian guy in an Asian outfit with a traditional Asian weapon to cater to an Asian market. It's so on the nose, that's racist.

The point was, Star Wars mixes imagery and ethnicity so you don't get a specific Earthly time and place. Disney did not do that with this character.

Last edited:

Completely agree. :goodpost:

I don't know if I'd call it racism. Frankly, the basketball comment was a bit more offensive to me, but it is dumbed down to have one of the Asian fighters be a martial arts blind monk! Hopefully it plays better than it seems in the trailers and has some deeper resolution than just an Asian martial artist.

I guess the world of film should stick to the stereotypical gun slinging white male American hero types? Obviously not! I welcome the fresh new characters of different origins in the Star Wars Saga.
Why shouldn't the Asian fans not have characters to identify with? Westerners already have their Han Solo & Skywalkers.
The newest trailers also quite clearly show Donnie Yen's character assisted by his sidekick Baze Malbus, Chirrut takes out a few with the staff whilst Baze blasts the rest when the stormtroopers are taken out.
I'm really looking forward to adding the Chirrut Imwe figure to my collection.

ps this is not directed at you DCFett:wink1:

Disney did not do that with this character.

Lucas did not do that with Han Solo. Easily identifiable with an American/Western audience.:dunno

Lucas did not do that with Han Solo. Easily identifiable with an American/Western audience.:dunno

He wasn't just a 'cowboy'. He was also a 'pirate', which wasn't traditionally white Americans.

But look, we can both be argumentative. Again, the point was to mix it up a bit. That should be perceived as a good thing. I love that the new cast is truly and wholly interracial. So I get stopped when one seems so clichéd.

My problem with him is they gave him a stick instead of a gun or light saber. When I played SWG I also hated the stick fighter class.

What makes Talibanes comment even more delusional is that I'm of Chinese descent and I was merely pointing out that Disney didn't crack the Asian market with the Force Awakens and so IMO ( and we're all entitled to one ) is why they have chosen to incorporate several Asian characters. But let's just leave it at that, after all we are only talking about a Sci Fi "film" here and unfortunately this looks like just another run of the mill one at that.

Disclaimer: I was JOKING. I assumed the jibberish I wrote would have made that clear.:lol

Hence my comment that it's so hard to tell whether people are joking or being serious these days - things seem so ultra-sensitive and touchy, it pays to not say anything at all.

things seem so ultra-sensitive and touchy, it pays to not say anything at all.

Good idea.

When delicate and volatile subjects arise, you'll get touchy responses. What did you expect? Diversity is a very big subject.

Good idea.

When delicate and volatile subjects arise, you'll get touchy responses. What did you expect? Diversity is a very big subject.

I would never have guessed.:lol

When I see the point of discussions being derailed by "touchy" comments and inappropriately overt PC responses that are all over the map, I will ALWAYS intervene.

These discussion trajectories are exactly what I expect.

So I was also kidding about saying nothing at all.:lecture

He wasn't just a 'cowboy'. He was also a 'pirate', which wasn't traditionally white Americans.

But look, we can both be argumentative. Again, the point was to mix it up a bit. That should be perceived as a good thing. I love that the new cast is truly and wholly interracial. So I get stopped when one seems so clichéd.

Smuggler, actually jk:wink1: Yip the diversity of the cast for R1 is definitely a good thing.

No one has made any comment about one race being superior or inferior to another race. That IS racism. No one has said they only want white casting. People simply have an issue with Disney pandering to an Asian market, which is exactly what they’re doing. They’re a business, they want more money. Why did Disney create Princess Tiana of Maldonia from The Princess and the Frog? To expand their appeal to the African American community. Again, Disney wants more money. Not that white Disney princesses suck. Not that black Disney princesses are better. Reaching more demographics = more money. The Freaks here have an issue with it being so on the nose, nothing about white characters being better or Asian actors/characters being inferior. Get a clue about what a word means before you start accusing others and slinging that kind of garbage around these generally friendly forums.

Don't forget scruffy looking nerf herder 😀

Back